Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Original Article:
New device offers affordable theft-recovery

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article New device offers affordable theft-recovery in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

·
Registered
15 Posts
this system sounds like it has potential. Wonderful that its geared to keep the owner and 'others' informed about incidents that trigger alarms, now how do we get the police to hop in their cars and furiously chase down the thieves that have tossed our bikes in the back of their van...hmm

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Pay a few hundred more and get LoJack.
Lowjack is a radio signal operated system. In Atlanta only 8 of the 15 metro counties use the tracking system in their police departments. If you go sub-terranean (parking garage) or live in a heavily wooded area the polices may not see the signal. I know GPS has limitations, too. But GPS actaully has a faster reaction time. I believe the company could lower the subscription price. Operating a cell phone cost little today. I'd bet the primary signal is sent via cell transmission with satellite as the secondary system. But what the h3ll do I know.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
. But what the h3ll do I know.
A lot more than me, I'm sure. We sold LoJack at HD when I worked there. It was about 800 clams to get it installed. I don't recall if there is an ongoing monthly subscription, and a quick visit to their website LoJack Car Security System for Stolen Vehicle Recovery didn't mention one. I did see the price has dropped since 2002 to around $600. That's probably due to GPS based competition.

I think you're right Kirk: GPS based solutions will probably dominate in the long run because the satellite system has huge inherent advantages over the comparatively low-tech radio based LoJack.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
I know there are real time GPS systems can be linked to the internet easily and will show their exact location at all times. It makes the interface easier for everyone that has to locate the vehicle. I think that is the wave of the future. Unfortunately, it will probably be installed on all vehicles in the future to monitor your speed at all times. Exceed the limit, and you get an email ticket! Simple eh?

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Skip the ticket and just debit the checking, like the toll road guys do already.
True dat! No point in bothering with due process and all that nonsense. Just a money waster for the state. Hell, they should just come and impound the vehicle and sell it at auction. If we are nice about it, maybe they will let us buy back our own property!

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
True dat! No point in bothering with due process and all that nonsense. Just a money waster for the state. Hell, they should just come and impound the vehicle and sell it at auction. If we are nice about it, maybe they will let us buy back our own property!
Wait and see how efficient the govt becomes when they install drains in all the courts and police stations for waterboarding suspects. It's not torture you know.

·
Registered
901 Posts
If you put a cellphone under the seat, and hook it up to the battery to keep it charged .. how expensive would that be? You could leave it dormant and in silent mode and call it if your bike disappears. 'Course the first thing a thief's gonna do (after driving off with your bike in the stolen van) is remove the seat. But since that's where my current alarm is, it's not that relevant.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
My only question is how small is the device and can it be completely hidden? As soon as the thieves figure out what the device looks like they'll be pulling it out and tossing it away.

Is it battery powered or does it use the bike's system? To make it effective it has to be completely out of sight and undetectable to the thief. Otherwise it's gonna be a waste of money as soon as the pros figure it out. In that case it might work on the casual thief, though. Joyriders and such.

Riding rat bikes is the best deterrent.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Yup a crappy pos bike will hardly ever get taken. Throw the Race Tech stickers in the garbage,put a dirt cover on the Wilbers, put on some safety nazi reflective tape, let the black plastic show through were your boots rub and hardly ever wash it...... sleeper;)

·
Registered
540 Posts
That's why never wash my bikes. I gotta think GPS theft deterrence is gonna get cheap fast. Under $100, with a minimal service charge, maybe $5 a month max. Securing the item is more difficult. Throw it in a case above the rear wheel. at least that area gets coated in enough crap it would be hard to find (on the dirty bike).

·
Registered
47 Posts
Lowjack is a radio signal operated system. In Atlanta only 8 of the 15 metro counties use the tracking system in their police departments. If you go sub-terranean (parking garage) or live in a heavily wooded area the polices may not see the signal. I know GPS has limitations, too. But GPS actaully has a faster reaction time. I believe the company could lower the subscription price. Operating a cell phone cost little today. I'd bet the primary signal is sent via cell transmission with satellite as the secondary system. But what the h3ll do I know.
LoJack is a radio signal and it is going all didgital this year with more towers in more locations. Since it is a radio signal you can park it in a parking deck to try and hide it but the signal will still get through. The GPS signal does not penetrate concrete. This system is not worth the money. LoJack sends a signal every few seconds. It is very hard to track with the GPS because of the slow refresh signal. In five or ten minutes your bike could be 5 to 15 miles away.
Get LoJack if you want something that will get your bike back. They have a 98 percent recovery rate for their cars. I am an autotheft officer in Atlanta we usually get LoJack cars back the same day they are taken. After getting a LoJack signal in my car it is usually less than 15 minutes until we recover it. There is no fee after the 600 dollar initial instilation. They will then monitor the bike for life.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.