Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One important question?

You forgot to answer one important question.

How much are you willing to spend on this project.

Are funds?

Very limited?

Somewhat limited?

Unlimited?

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Sounds like you're on a tight budget, both space and money wise.

A long time ago, I built a roll up stand out of 2x4's and thick plywood I liberated from government shipping containers. It worked for me for 8 years.

I built it sturdy enough to roll my GS1000 and Sportster up.

On tools, don't skimp. If you find you need a tool, go out and get it. You will probably need it again.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Go to HD or Lowes and buy twice the number of 48" flourescent fixtures you think you need. Get the cheap ones that have the overhead reflectors.

If you have a couple extra bucks, spring for the safety sleeves that fit over the bulbs. Especially for the fixture hanging over your workbench.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Leave space in a corner for a nice drill press.

Also, put in a lot of ac outlets. Twice as many as you think you need.

Where do you live? Don't forget heat for winter if you need it.

You also need to work out some sort of ventilation.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Get a book called "How to Set Up Your Motorcycle Workshop" by G. G. Masi. Available through Whitehorse press. Lots of cool tips, but the smallest shop he talks about is 12 by 24.

No such thing as too much light or too many outlets. Bench and cabinet space is a trade off for bike storage space.

Have at least one set of shelves that is empty now, you'll need a place to put things like seats and gas tanks when you're working on a bike.

Check out a lift called eazy rizer at http://www.bike-lift.com/

It's semi portable and won't take up valuable floor space all the time.

Good Luck, you'll find it's an evolutionary process.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Lots of hooks in the rafters are handy for hanging spare exhaust systems, etc. and keeping stuff from piling up on the floor. Those vinyl coated bicycle hooks work well.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
Yes, nothing adds to your day like being showered with broken glass and phosphorous.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
Here's a Pro's new shop: http://www.meccanicacorse.net/gallery/album14

J.D. Hord has been doin' this a few years now, I'd feel free to copy some of his ideas that take your fancy (although his new shop is bigger than the space you've got to work with).

·
Registered
285 Posts
Don't forget the Beer Fridge!

(works for leftover chimichangas, too...!)

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
Hang three rows of flourescent lights, then paint the walls and floor High Gloss white. You can never have too much light in a shop. You'll need a good sturdy work bench that's high enough that you don't wreck your back working with parts on it. A drill press, a hydraulic press for bearings, a grinder with wire wheel, a small wire feed welder if you're flush, some gas bottles, a good rollaway tool box with everything from torx bits to metric allen wrenches, sockets and box end wrenches, a small air compressor, a deep sink if you can plumb it and a beer fridge. I also have a recliner in mine that a neighbor was going to toss but you might be cramped for space so that's optional. Some kind of radio or CD player....a dart board is fun...

That's about a perfect set up I think.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hmmmm.... Drill press and Hyd bearing press vs. beer fridge.....

You have to analyze what you will use more.....

Rob

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
Well, he didn't say how many stories this shed has...

·
Registered
127 Posts
The good news is you don't need much.

For lighting, just make sure you have two flourescents, one on either side of the bike. If you only have one centered in the shop, your bike will live under it in shadow.

A Petzl LED headlamp is great to provide light right where you need it-- even if your shop is otherwise lit only by a single bulb.

As for tools, you don't need many for working on dirt bikes. I fit all my tools in a small rally box so it's easy to bring to the races. A small T-handle set of 8mm, 10mm, and 12mm. An allen head set. Your bike's stock toolkit. A small flathead and small philips head screwdriver. A dead-blow hammer (and/or wooden mallet) and small pieces of wood or dowels for knocking out bearings and cylinder heads.

For pricey items: A good torque wrench, that will register small torque values. A good impact driver would be nice to have, but I don't have one and still get by.

I occasionally use other tools, such as random sockets or wrenches. You probably already have a set of sockets and open-ended wrenches anyway.

Two long tire irons. An accurate 0-30psi low-pressure gauge. Baby Powder. An air compressor.

How about a sink or parts washer, something to wash air filters in?

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
I Googled "equipping a small garage" and among lots of other things, found this.

Small price to pay for planning something like this, I think.

·
Registered
67 Posts
If your budget is really tight, get your fluorescent fixtures from a building wrecker/recycler. Stick with the 48" like the man says, cheap, last forever, available everywhere. If you buy weirdo non standard lights and fixtures you will have problems when it comes time to replace. (DAMHIK)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.