Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I just wanted to introduce myself.
I'm in my mid 60's and haven't ridden since 1982 (BSA).
I have recently retired and want to ride again.

I took the MSC last month, although I'm pretty rusty, I passed and got my drivers license endorsement!

I rode a Road King at the local dealer and it was a little intimating, but I think that will pass pretty quickly.

I'm looking at the Dyna Custom as well as the Road King, but am hearing about the new 96 inch engines overheating-----anyone confirm this? any cure?

Really want to get one, but don't want problems.

Last Harley I had was a 49 ridged frame springer, but that was in the early 60's.

I'm looking forward to getting involved!

Colin

·
Registered
10,903 Posts
Hi All,

I just wanted to introduce myself.
I'm in my mid 60's and haven't ridden since 1982 (BSA).
I have recently retired and want to ride again.

I took the MSC last month, although I'm pretty rusty, I passed and got my drivers license endorsement!

I rode a Road King at the local dealer and it was a little intimating, but I think that will pass pretty quickly.

I'm looking at the Dyna Custom as well as the Road King, but am hearing about the new 96 inch engines overheating-----anyone confirm this? any cure?

Really want to get one, but don't want problems.

Last Harley I had was a 49 ridged frame springer, but that was in the early 60's.

I'm looking forward to getting involved!

Colin
The 96 inch engines run pretty hot but they don't "overheat." All air-cooled motors these days run lean to pass emissions. A Power Commander (or similar) will cool it right down.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
Welcome!

You have no idea what you're in for, do you?

:cool:

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
Why don't you get a Sporty? might be better to get your sea legs on a little smaller bike than a big twin. You can always trade up....

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
Mr. Snooks, we'll need you to complete this little aptitude test before your full site membership can be completed:

1. George Bush
a) sucks
b) sucks for air
c) sucks so bad it makes my ears pop

2. Al Gore
a) is brilliant
b) should be President
c) would make a brilliant President, if only he would run

3. Dual Sport Motorcycles
a) are for only the most accomplished and knowledgable riders
b) make it easier to pick up hot chicks
c) both A and B

4. Global Warming
a) is a real threat, we need to do something NOW
b) is a direct result of US overconsumption of precious resources
c) will result in the enslavement of conservative Americans

Thanks Mr. Snooks. We'll be giving you access to the really fun and interesting parts of this website, once your results are in and tallied. Maybe.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Wow. Over a 25 year riding hiatus. I believe reliability and quality have improved a bit since the last time you were on a bike. Of course, price has increased a bit as well. Have a great time on your new ride. And keep the shiny side up!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I did it!

Just got a new 2007 FLHR.
I think I got a pretty good deal as the dealer was wanting to clear out the last years models.
The intimidation factor is going away pretty quickly and I'm getting comfortable on it already.

I'll post some photos as soon as my son brings my camera back!

Thanks for all the input!

BTW, what's an X-box??? ;)

·
Snuggles
4,369 Posts
Well I did it!

Just got a new 2007 FLHR.
I think I got a pretty good deal as the dealer was wanting to clear out the last years models.
The intimidation factor is going away pretty quickly and I'm getting comfortable on it already.

I'll post some photos as soon as my son brings my camera back!

Thanks for all the input!

It's the wooden crate you keep you "Adult Entertainment" in.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
That little Toyota/Scion compact van-thingie.

As in "Nice Box, where's the car that comes in it?"

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
bdsnooks,

Congratulations!

Now get yourself to a MSF Beginner or Experienced RiderCourse, pronto!

Unitl you get the course, you might want to do some "book learnin'". I'm a big fan of Lee Parks' book, "Total Control." You can buy it off Amazon or from Lee's site, Lee Parks Design, World's Finest Deerskin Motorcycle Gloves and Accessories. $25 very well spent.

His Deerskin gloves are the sh!t, too.

Welcome back to the 2-wheeled crowd!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well here's a promised photo----

I'm as happy as a pig in slop!:D Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Automotive tire

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.