Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, new guy here. (obviously) :)

I hope you don't mind me jumping right in with a question.

I'm in need of a new leather riding jacket. I've had my eye on a nice looking Icon jacket, but I'm not familiar with the brand. Is it quality? Or, should I be looking at something else?

Thanks all.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
The Icon Helmets and gloves are great - never used any of the jackets and pants.

I'd absolutely LOVE to have another pair of the first-gen TiMax gloves in Black, size Large...................

I'd take just-about any colour at this point, even White (but forget that Blizzing-Yo! Gold Plating), it's not THAT hard to dye leather.

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
I've looked at the stuff several times and it seems to be pretty well made. I'm not sure where your budget is, so give us a hint. Also, I've heard of people having great luck with newenough.com

....and let us know where you live in case a perf jacket with a liner is in order for year round use.

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
Theres...

Thanks for the help, all. The jacket I've had my eye on seems to be around $320-380. So, that price range would be fine with me.
a lot of options in that range so shop around and see what feels the best, there's a pretty big variation in fit even with the same size. If you live in a cooler wetter climate then a good textile jacket or suit might be worth looking into. Quality ones like Aerostitch, Belstaff or Tourmaster offer almost as good abrasion resistance as leather the same impact resistance plus they're waterproof lighter and usually more comfortable.

Up to you of course but I'm a firm believer in textiles for year round use.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Textiles do NOT offer as much protection as leather. Not close. However, they are vastly improved over the older Belstaff style waxed cotton garments. If you get a well-made textile garment such as Aerostich or Olympia -- and that's just a couple of reputable makers -- you can be reasonably confident in your protection. But if you want the best, a heavy leather is the best. Period.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Textiles do NOT offer as much protection as leather. Not close. However, they are vastly improved over the older Belstaff style waxed cotton garments. If you get a well-made textile garment such as Aerostich or Olympia -- and that's just a couple of reputable makers -- you can be reasonably confident in your protection. But if you want the best, a heavy leather is the best. Period.
I'm glad I was able to come to this forum. You fellas have given me MUCH needed help on this search. :)

I do think I'm pretty set in getting a nice heavy leather. I think I'll end up going with an Icon made jacket. I just need to decided on which one. Do you guys suggest one with armor or no?

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Definitely go with the armor. The leather protects you from the abrasion of sliding; the armor keeps you from getting badly bruised if you do take a tumble.

By the way, I do NOT like Icon equipment. Check out other suppliers before you make your choice.

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
For most street riding quality textiles offer enough protection to keep your hide intact. If you get off at high speeds then leather is better which is why racing suits are leather however, most street get offs are statistically, according to the latest issue of Motorcycle Consumer News data, below 45 mph in which case textiles are fine and usually more comfortable in regular use.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
For most street riding quality textiles offer enough protection to keep your hide intact. If you get off at high speeds then leather is better which is why racing suits are leather however, most street get offs are statistically, according to the latest issue of Motorcycle Consumer News data, below 45 mph in which case textiles are fine and usually more comfortable in regular use.
And nothing can provide 100% protection - on my Wife's getoff in GA in '02, she had an armoured Leather/Textile combo jacket by Fieldsheer - her lowside in road-debris was roughly at 40-45mph, extreme abrasion-resistance was nearly un-necessary.

Probably would have resulted in NO injury but for the fact her VTR struck a 2-ft. boulder as she slid behind it in the leaf-filled ditch, which started her in a cartwheel where she struck the controls of the bike below the left shoulder-armour which shattered the controls and her left humeral-head into 5-8 pieces (which thankfully remained mostly-intact). No other major injuries. But it was painful, to be sure.

ALL of the damage to her gear and clothing was from the EMTs - they cut every piece of clothing off her but her panties (Seriously!). When you crash, fold your Dignity up and stuff it into your wallet - you won't be needing it the rest of the day.............

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
So, what happened with her and bikes after that, AH? Does she still ride?
She still rides - in fact, has had TWO bikes since then. However, she suffers from MS, so is not able to ride as much or as often as she'd like. The broken bones have mended - but there was a protrusion in her shoulder socket that the Dr.'s deemed "unoperable" that keeps her from having full range-of-motion. And it aches with the weather. But, she counts that among the least of her problems nowadays.

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
Google Roadgear and check out the XKJ Jacket. I bought the jacket and was so impressed I ended up getting the pants too.
Perfect for hot summer use and with the liner in it is warmer than my Roadcrafter 1pc with layers.
Mansoor, the owner, is excellent to deal with as well.

·
Registered
10,903 Posts
Google Roadgear and check out the XKJ Jacket. I bought the jacket and was so impressed I ended up getting the pants too.
Perfect for hot summer use and with the liner in it is warmer than my Roadcrafter 1pc with layers.
Mansoor, the owner, is excellent to deal with as well.
You spend a weekend with a girl from the wrong side of the tracks and Man Sore will be your name too.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
They DO focus on Bling, I'll give you that - but a) I've never paid retail for a piece of Icon gear; and b) I've never had more than minor issues with any Icon gear I've purchased (or heard of more than minor issues, for that matter).

Joe Rocket gear is considered really good (for the price), but I've heard dozens of complaints for JR, and I consider Icon to be a notch-above them.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.