Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
The influcence of the Monster continues to be felt, no doubt about that. For years I've heard about the resurrection, or possible resurrection of the UJM, but in the meantime it seems that the UIM (Universal Italian Motorcycle) has become just as influential a standard, if not more so. The 1970s are gone-- and now the 1990s are gone too, along with half of this decade.

What fun times. I remember in the mid-nineties feeling that there was such a dearth of models to choose from. I couldn't believe the Hawk 650GT and CB1 were out of production. Then the Monster was born and it seemed someone understood me.

I've since grown beyond the naked thing...all sorts of bikes appeal to me for different reasons. There's a tool made to match all sorts of rider needs. Plus, as is oft said around here, it aint the tool. Right? That said, I have a naked bike again and it's a friggin blast. I'm in love with nakeds all over again.

I think Honda should take another stab at the basic bike market. Their 919 is a basic bike-- but too much so. With suspension that's too basic, looks that are too basic, and flat black paint...it's a little too, well, basic. I'm surprised they couldn't inject just a wee bit of pizazz into that bike the way they did with the Hawk GT or the CB1. The CB1 even today looks sharp and fully modern, and calls out to motorcyclists with a challenge to enjoy some fun, some fast, some wind and freedom.

This Guzzi slots into this category well. Some fun, some fast, some freedom. I don't know if it will sell though. Its price will likely be high. And about the only thing it will have going for it over Ducatis will be that it's not a Ducati. If it gets price in the very high range, say 14G, then it will be pushing into MV Agusta territory.

But, I'm sure that Guzzi is just trying to capture some of the Monster market, not all of it, and they may be content with even a small piece of that pie.

·
Registered
127 Posts
The influcence of the Monster continues to be felt, no doubt about that. For years I've heard about the resurrection, or possible resurrection of the UJM, but in the meantime it seems that the UIM (Universal Italian Motorcycle) has become just as influential a standard, if not more so. The 1970s are gone-- and now the 1990s are gone too, along with half of this decade.

What fun times. I remember in the mid-nineties feeling that there was such a dearth of models to choose from. I couldn't believe the Hawk 650GT and CB1 were out of production. Then the Monster was born and it seemed someone understood me.

I've since grown beyond the naked thing...all sorts of bikes appeal to me for different reasons. There's a tool made to match all sorts of rider needs. Plus, as is oft said around here, it aint the tool. Right? That said, I have a naked bike again and it's a friggin blast. I'm in love with nakeds all over again.

I think Honda should take another stab at the basic bike market. Their 919 is a basic bike-- but too much so. With suspension that's too basic, looks that are too basic, and flat black paint...it's a little too, well, basic. I'm surprised they couldn't inject just a wee bit of pizazz into that bike the way they did with the Hawk GT or the CB1. The CB1 even today looks sharp and fully modern, and calls out to motorcyclists with a challenge to enjoy some fun, some fast, some wind and freedom.

This Guzzi slots into this category well. Some fun, some fast, some freedom. I don't know if it will sell though. Its price will likely be high. And about the only thing it will have going for it over Ducatis will be that it's not a Ducati. If it gets price in the very high range, say 14G, then it will be pushing into MV Agusta territory.

But, I'm sure that Guzzi is just trying to capture some of the Monster market, not all of it, and they may be content with even a small piece of that pie.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Now we're talkin'. The monster-esque look, but with the wicked coolness of a Guzzi twin promises to offer a very exciting ride. Can't wait 'til they hit the States.

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
I like the name bruisers.. or eurocruisers.. But to call them cruisers seems to be an insult really cause don't these bikes have better performance and handling.? Not as good as a Monster but better than a Sportster? I have only rode a Sportster so I really am talking out of my tail.

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
P.S. Nice looking bike

Those Italians never seem to build an ugly bike cept the 999. But the 999 guy was really French...right?

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
Re: P.S. Nice looking bike

Well, he's South African, but with the name "Pierre Terblanche" - if it sounds like a Frenchman, and looks like a Frenchman, and designs vehicles like a Frenchman, it's a Frenchman.

Ducati does well when they let men with names like Tamburini (916) and Galluzzi (Monster) design their bikes.

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
Is there a name for these things? They have big motors but not always big horsepower, and they're good allrounders but not really long-distance tourers.

Harley calls one of their not-cruiser Sportsters the "Roadster". That's how I think of bikes like this new Guzzi, and their Griso, and Ducati's Monster. Not sportbikes for the track, but elemental bikes for burning up the road. They're roadsters.

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
Nice, but if I had the dosh, I'd get a Griso.

Hell, if I had the dosh, my garage would be full of Twins - Sportster, Griso, XB9R, Monster...

·
Registered
55 Posts
I defiinitely want one of these although Guzzis are pretty expensive. I tried translating the Italian page in Google. The translation is pretty bad but within the press release hype the text claims that the bike will have upgraded racing accessories available as well as ABS. This can be way more than a cruiser.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've always considered these types of motorcycles as 'Muscle Bikes'. Big motors, upgraded suspension, quarter fairing, standard chassis...not really a sport bike (i.e. 'Naked' or 'Streetfighter').... more true to the concept of the 'Cafe Racer'.

We used to make the same modifications to UJM's and Brit Bikes, but now the factories do it for us.

I like the title 'Roadster' as well.

CDM

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Re: P.S. Nice looking bike

Dear Sir, Recently doing our correspondence I foolishly and childishly crossed a self imposed line. I apologize.

I have no problem attacking a position. You clearly did nothing to merit what could easily be seen as a personal attack.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Has anyone here seen the Breva? It's HUGE. Monster- I think not. Put one flyscreen on a bike and the next thing you know people are thinking Ducati. It's a BIG bike made to eat BIG miles. Monster- Not in it's best wet dream.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
Have you seen the UK version of the 599/Hornet 600?

It uses a "tuned for torque" version of the '07 600RR motor, new gravity-cast aluminium frame, HawkGT/R6 Exhaust..............

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.