Motorcycle Forums banner

New Law Spells Doom for Custom Builders.

25K views 144 replies 37 participants last post by  schizuki 
#1 ·
Re: New law spells doom for custom builders

FTP? Fewer customs bikes means fewer loud pipes.

#3 ·

Well, considering the ilk who run things in the good ole USA right now (and I don't mean just Republicans, all the ba$turds), why would anyone be surprised by laws that whack the little guy and help the big guys? Easy enough to get around though. Buy an old stocker and do like the old days, customize it yourself or have a company in the business of "retro-modding" bikes. All you need is a VIN...

#8 ·

The law has passed and did so under everyone's eyes. The industry watched and thought it would be like laws in years past, only this time, it's going to get enforced.

There are groups who are working on getting things changed slightly. Let's hope it works.

Also, don't forget that while these laws are targeted toward "custom" bikes, they also effect sportbikes as well. There is no distinction in the law between a Harley based custom or a Busa.

Brian

#11 ·

You are such a loser that you are unable to be able to afford to spend more than 7 bills on a bike, so now you take pleasure in the fact that a number of custom builders that may lose their livelihood.

I do not know what stone you live under, but I know a number of ricers that use aftermarket pipes, aftermarket ignition modules and aftermarket air filters. Any of these items can land them with a $10000 per day fine until your meet EPA compliance. Very f*cking funny no?

Dumb ******* …

#13 ·

You mean if you want a custom bike you'll have to DO IT YOURSELF ?????? What goes around comes around. Nowadays there's enough off the shelf stuff to get just about any look going.

Like bigjames said, all you need is a VIN and a license plate.

#16 ·

The noose gets tighter and tighter.

Sorry, Buz. I guess I was engaging in an "isolated" opinion.

I'm really glad that I bought a new two-stroke snowmobile last year.

#19 ·

What law exactly? Someone site the damn law. When it was passed?

As things work now such laws are attached to big packages like a hiway bill etc. What was this one attached to.

As things go now such laws are inserted into these big bills by one or two congress critters in the dead of night after they get some nice meals or campaign contributions. The package gets a name like 'The Motherhood and Freedom Restoration Act and passes because who can be against motherhood and freedom. So who was behind this law? I can't think of who wins from it except Harley and that is a huge stretch.

There is no way this law, own only one 'kit bike' could pass constitutional muster. Not that it will ever get there or if it does expect it about 2013.

While most of these things are inhently unsafe they don't get ridden anyway so such a law is really stupid.

This market is waaaaaay over saturated. They guy can ***** and moan about it and blame the government but the main problem is supply and demand. Maybe he should get together with some other custom builders and sell the DOD 10,000 custom bikes to be used by God only knows who and God only knows were. Perhaps stipulating all bikes must have an American Flag motif and call the bill the Stars and Stipes Forever act.

#20 ·

According to the link, the EPA imposed these new restrictions in December 2000 right at the tail-end of the Clinton administratoin of course.

The emissions law was set to be phased in Jan. 2006. The EPA powers have already been delegated to it as part of the Clean Air Act.

Who could be against Clean Air?

#21 ·

The law applies to 2006 model year on and (so far) does not require earlier model years to retro fit to the newest standards.

If you plan on buying a new bike from now on, better plan on leaving it stock I guess, or buying factory/EPA approved accessories.

#22 ·

You've probably noticed your H-D parts catalogs don't show any "illegal" stuff anymore. All the pipes, cams, etc are street legal.

You can still get the "bad stuff" from the dealers. You just have to know the secret code.

Hint: For off-road use only

You outta see me dirt-track the geezer glide

#24 ·
My Oh My Who do think pushed this legislation

Let's see Buz which company would most like to see custom bikes die... I'll give you a hint their colors are orange and black and from Wisconson....

Before we go off the deep end.. Which law? Did you research it yourself Buz...do you have a link..

Could be that custom bike are out of fashion as the great kpaul predicted.. The growth market for customization is sportbikes...it goes hand in had with kids customizing Honda Civics, etc..

#25 ·

Damn, and I just put together another Taco 99.

"you can pry the Taco 99 out of my cold dead scab encrusted hands."

Wonder what Briggs & Stratton has to say about this?

#26 ·

The black helicopters are coming for you Buz...Look out your window ..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.