Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is nothing more than a lame attempt to get rid of the massive "biker" problem in New Mexico...read between the lines!

Outta here...Charles (viper)

'00 RWB R1 #34...'cuz there can only be THE ONE.

'85 ZX900 Ninja...the mutha' of all modern sportbikes.

'03 FJR 1300...'cuz ya' gotta keep HER happy.

Click on link below to see my R1, FJR, and Ninja.

http://www.photoaccess.com/share/guest.jsp?ID=A0B19C25C12&cb=PA

·
Registered
19 Posts
Absolutely incredible!

I'm sure this has to be unconstitutional in some way.

This bill is not only wrong, but also somewhat diabolical and evil. I know who I'm not voting for in the future...

I don't think that this bill will pass and I'm amazed that anyone would even think that it'd be possible for it to pass. I should think that anyone in the New Mexico congress would have a field day with Alan Hurt. I hope this crap destroys the man's career. Bear in mind, of course that it is LEGAL to ride without a helmet in New Mexico. So for performing a LEGAL activity one relinquishes one's rights to determine what happens to one's own body after death. Why not just say that bodies of motorcyclist should be used as food for the poor.

Robin.

Robin.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Thank You, God!

I know I already posted this the other day, but I get to re-post since MO did.

Thank You, God for such fertile satirical raw materiel. I tell ya, you can't make up stuff this good.

First off, if you've ever been to New Mexico, you should it's very difficult to detect any sort of higher brain function in anybody there. That "brain death" thing would be a really tough call in Albequrque, for instance.

But seriously, maybe this will lead to a subdivision of which organs are farmed from the riders of the various motorcycle brands? For instance, if the rider was on a Harley Davidson, you are reasonably certain that you don't want any brain or liver tissue from this donor.

On the other hand, I have a cousin who has a rapidly deteriorating sense of smug self-satisfaction. The first BMW or SV650 owner that gets it will doubtlessly have not died in vain, as my cousin will have the needed organ packed in dry ice, flown across the country, and transplanted into his body so he can once again feel superior about his consumer product choices just like any other healthy American man.

There is a 63-year-old woman in Grosse Point, Michigan who has not clipped a coupon, shopped at Target, or taken extra packets of Sweet-n-lo from her Starbucks for years, due to a battle with thrift-organ cancer that required a partial thriftectomy. The next noble victim who dies unhelmeted in New Mexico, while riding his KLR650 or GS500E will give up his massive, overdeveloped thrift organ so Mrs. Dunleavy may once again annoy her family members with tales of how she saved 50 cents on her purchase of Cool-Whip dessert topping.

And then there is Hakim Schwartz, of Portland, Oregon, who suffers from small testes syndrome, rendering him unable to father children. The next TL1000S rider who tank-slaps himself into oblivion will make sure the Schwartz household will one day resound with the sound of tiny feet.

Rachael Morris of Freemantle, Nebraska is obsessively frugal, unable to enjoy even going to diner at Wendy's and renting a $1 DVD at Blockbuster. But thanks to the new law, as soon as a Ducati owner buys il farmo, (doubtlessly when his $3,000 Marchesisni mags disintegrate at 110 mph) a partial money-wasting organ transplant will enable her to enjoy life and eat out more often.

Senator Hurt's bill will open so many doors to those Americans suffering needlessly. It's not a moment too soon.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Seeing a bill like this originated by a physician is no surprise. I have relatives in medicine and the overweening arrogance of too many doctors (not all, by all means) is unquestionable. Bikers have already been nicknamed "organ donors" and their rides "murdercycles" by doctors, nurses, prarmedics, etc. Couple that attitude with the tendency of too many doctors to believe themselves one step above God and such Orwellian proposals are inevitable.

However, I have an organ RIGHT HERE that Dr. Hurt can have anytime.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
It's also LEGAL to smoke, but that doesn't stop the neo-fascists from hounding those that do.

Have you been keeping up with current events? Right now the republicrats are racing to see who can vote for the incredibly fascist and unconstitutional Homeland Security Act the fastest.

I'm sure that New Mexico's legislature is less quick to trash the constitution than say, New York's or Kalifornia's, but disregard for the US constitution has grown to epic proportions amongst legislators, many think it an impediment to their own "superior" beliefs, and I doubt that New Mexico is immune.

·
Registered
2 Posts
When did doctors become the bad guys here?

As a physician (currently chief surgical resident) who has asisted in over twenty transplants, and as a bike rider for over 10 years (currently with a 95 VFR750), I'd like to also agree that this bill is preposterous. A patient's or family's most basic right is sovereignty over his own body. Nobody can be forced into being a donor... or into any treatment, really.

We get donors from all sorts of tragedies: stroke, assault, car accidents, whatever. Singling motorcyclist for this treatment is clearly discriminatory.

This law (though I doubt it's going to make it that far) would never survive a court challenge. However, I don't think there's going to be too many volunteers to be the test case!

Having said all that, though, I do have two suggestions. 1) Wear your helmet. Really. 2) Sign you organ donor's card and tell your family. There are a LOT of people out there that need organs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am an heart-transplant receiptant. I`m eternally greatful that some one gave me the gift of life. I ride ,much to the dismay of my doctors, but to make some one`s organs proptery of the state is wrong. some countries in europe have an implyed consent law, that unless someone says they don`t want their organs donated they will be harvested ,that make much more sence for everyone!!!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Note to Scotteq: You might have more luck sending your letter to Fox-News. They're not as ultra left-wing as ABC, CBS, NBC, and CNN. They'd be more likely to pick up this story. In fact, they have a segment at the end of their 6:00 news with Brit Hume for just this type of story. Good luck!

·
Banned
2,752 Posts
This thing is unconstitutional

But someone will have to challenge it first in court. I am sure it will quickly be ruled unconstitutional. Perhaps the AMA and the ACLU can team with each other on this one. Incredible!

·
Registered
237 Posts
There is a reason motorcycles are referred to as "Donorcycles" in all the ER's I've worked. Stupid law, though, and in reality, if you're found brain-dead from a motorcycle crash, chances are fair that your heart/lungs/liver/kidneys etc will be too bruised up to use for transplantation, but bone marrow (if it isn't all over the road) and corneas (if your eyes weren't smashed out of their sockets) could still be useable. Cycle wrecks are hideous, gory, bloody messes. I did get a "I gave the gift of sight" pin from referring a deceased motorcyclist to the cornea recovering people. Yeah for me.. :( I hope I never get another.

luvmyvfr

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I work for a hospital (I'm the CFO) and while I do get some good natured ribbing about being an organ donor, many of the doctors I know do ride, as do the Hospital CEO and the head of personnel (both women).

Just about this time last year, a prominant Tucson heart surgeon was killed in a low-speed accident on his new Harley (a Chrismas gift from his wife) -- wasn't wearing a helmet. I didn't know him but I did get stuck in the resulting traffic jam.

I absolutely agree with your suggestions.

Bob

·
Registered
911 Posts
I am so upset with Mr. Hurt that I just sent him an e-mail that reads like this:

You sir are an arrogant bastard, how dare you tell anybody what to do with the bodies of their loved ones regardless of their mode of transportation.

Go to hell !!!

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
This is nothing more than grandstanding by some ******* using his "status" as a physician to promote mandatory helmets in NM, by causing such an uproar, he accomplishes his goal of drawing attention to "the helmet issue" to wit; "Gee why don't they just wear helmets?". The guy probably did his residencey under Mengle.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Forgive me for daring to even mildly criticize any members of the most perfect group of people that exists on the face of the Earth, medical doctors.

So sorry. Please excuse me.

Anyhow I said some doctors, not all, or even a substantial number. No need to get so defensive.

·
Registered
162 Posts
HURT RESPONDS!

Dear Goose -

Last year, New Mexico spent $280 million on traumatic brain injury. If this bill keeps one biker from adding to that tragic number, it's a good thing. It's been brought to my attention that people who don't wear belts in cars should be included. They're right so I'll amend it so.

Thanks for you thoughts.

Allen Hurt

This is a response to an email that I sent senator Hurt. I even called him brain-dead! I was surprised he responded.

When he says " If this bill keeps one biker from adding to that tragic number, it's a good thing" his true aim is revealed: to get riders to wear helmets. It's a back-door helmet law, with a percieved 'public good' thrown in as a bonus.

At least by including belt-less drivers he's consistant. I can't belive a republican is proposing this type of law. It'll never pass.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Seems like there is a lack of freedom in this country. It makes absolute sense though doesn't it? Wearing seatbelts and helments saves lives. Now, so do motorcyclists. Why not make anyone who operates a motor vehicle on a public road an organ donor? Man, it sure is nice to have a government that makes us wear seatbelts, helments, and make us organ donors isn't it? Do you know how many peoples lives will be saved because of this new law in New Mexico? But, on the other side of this arguement is the other question: Do you know how many people fought and died for our country so that this would never happen to us? Sometimes, even when something makes sense (such as wearing seatbelts/helments) it is best not to make a law out of it, because freedom is what makes us the best country in the world! I would be stupid not to wear a seatbelt/helment Mr. Burns, but that gives my government no right to tell me I have to. The same goes for someone telling you that you have to be an organ donor.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Re: HURT RESPONDS!

He said they spent $280 million on brain injuries. Now ask the double speaking liar how much of that was spent on unhelmeted bikers, and show you the documentation. That statement ranks right up there with "I didn't inhale" and "I didn't have sex with that woman". Bullshyt in it's purest form. The #1 cause of death in an auto is head injuries, and that is with or without a seatbelt. Anyone tell him that? How about helmets for drivers, since he is so concerned (which would also include his sorry ass).

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Amendment

I can think of hundreds of laws that will save that proverbial "one life". That would include banning smoking, drinking, unsafe sex, eating fatty foods, manadatory excercise, guns, knives, bicycles, motor vehicles, showers (baths only, no slipping and hitting head). Are we worried yet? I am. They can go to hell with that "one life" bullshyt.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Re: HURT RESPONDS!

Actually, to be consistent he would include automobile drivers and passengers who don't wear helmets. According to statistics I've read, something like 3/4 of motorcycle deaths are related to head injuries. For automobile accident fatalities this figure is about 1/2 of the deaths.

Automobile drivers and passengers who push helmet laws don't know or don't want to admit that the argument for requiring the wearing of helmets is about as strong for automobiles as it is for motorcycles. The difference is the automobile riding public represents the majority and would never put up with such an effront to their freedom of choice. A minority, however, can be dictated too.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.