Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
The Toad
17,449 Posts
Govt at its best! Aren't these the same clowns who gave us the 55mph speed limit and baby-killer airbags?

We are faced with a grave crisis! Immediate action is critical! Therefore we are going to..... fund another study! Appoint a new committee! See? We're doing something!

First we get the litany of the total number of fatalities for the entire nation with the usual overblown rhetoric about how this is all another grave crisis. Naturally later we will see how we need to spend many more dollars for more bureaucrats to study this phenomenon. Jobs for the boys as usual. More govt employees means more supervisory positions = more promotions and bonuses for the boys. I have experience with this as I worked for the Feds for a number of years and the levels of incompetence, nepotism, featherbedding and just plain criminal fraud have to be seen to be believed. The stupidest rise to the top, almost without exception and the basic intent of bureaucrats is to increase their importance, funding and pay grades while ensuring that they are legally unaccountable for their myriad failures. I quit because I couldn't stand it any more.

Note the quote, "While NHTSA is anxious to find effective solutions to this major public health problem – funding and greater activism are key."

Translation: "More money and more power for the NHTSA. More jobs for people who couldn't cook french fries."

This gobbledegook is the usual govt scam of dazzling the public with bullhunky so they will get confused and be unable to see the forest for the trees. The study conveniently glosses over the fact that motorcycle fatalities have increased 50% while the number of riders has nearly doubled. We have an massive increase in the number of new riders and since by far most crashes occur in the first riding year an increase in crashes is inevitable. We already know that the best solution is rider training. It is no secret.

In none of this is it mentioned that the riders themselves are responsible for their own incompetence and stupidity. The idea that the federal govt is going to reduce anyone else's level of stupidity is humorously surrealistic.

Any improvements are going to happen at the State levels as we've seen in places like Ohio. The NHTSA has no command authority over the States except the ability to withhold highway funds, anyhow. Even if they do come up with any good ideas (miracles do happen) it'll be years before these studies are done. But, if history is any guide, the studies will mainly recommend more study and, of course, more funding.

I'm not usually this pessimistic, but the record of results from federal action is abysmal.

·
The Toad
17,449 Posts
Re: Malcolm Gladwell on the NHTSA

An excellent read. Thank you.

This article very clearly describes an attitude that is all too common in our current political climate. That is the attitude that certain people are so absolutely right and smarter than everyone else (they think) that in their crusade to "do good" they wreak vast harm.

I no longer accept the lousy excuse that "they had good intentions".

·
The Toad
17,449 Posts
Ah, who cares? I'm already on every list imaginable.

I don't go as far as Ayn Rand. But I do dearly love her description of the populace being divided into two distinct groups- producers and looters.

We know which group welcomes this NHTSA cagal.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.