Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Yeah,but the price,the price.A buddy of mine had to service his R1200RT,and was amazed at how much,plus markup they are asking for Beemers hers in Las Vegas.And he has money! A poor bro like me doesn,t stand a chance! Beemer maybe making the mistake Volks wagen is making,pricing themselves out the market.The euro is killing us!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Well, we have to wait for used R1200s to appear.

Yes, the price is kind of a deal breaker. Hopefully, by the time my R1100GS wears out, some of the R1200s will have depreciated enough that I can take one out for a test spin with a reasonable chance of buying one.

Who knows, maybe the Big 4 will be offering test rides by that time, also - though that would be a big shift in their policies. (Would that mean that Triumph and BMW agree to stop offering test rides?)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Nice enough bike but not worth $14,700 unless you value exclusivity that much. It's not the Euro that puts the price high. BMWs are just expensive. Compare the prices to those of Triumph. The Pound is even strounger than the Euro and they still sell bikes for a reasonable price. I think it's a conscious decision on BMWs part to put cashed-up middle-aged riders on their bikes.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Teknoman, don't blame the euro, blame the dollar! The FED is doing their very best to turn it into something worth less than the paper it's printed on. Do an image search on "m3 money supply" and you'll see that since '95, the FED has been killing the dollar.

Fiat currency issues aside, this new beemer (in particular) does seem focused on the sportbike crowd; check the wheelie & strafing pics in the gallery. I personally wouldn't be shopping BMW if I was looking for a bike to stick around the outside of my buddy's GSXR-- but that's me. Plenty of folks are finding $20,000 Ducatis the proper tackle for the canyons, so why not BMW? Something tells me this is what they're thinking in Stuttgart.

·
Registered
466 Posts
It coudda bin a contendah...

Yeah, just like every Beamer, a solid bike but you can get the same thing for a few thousand less if you compare to just about any other brand. Looks Ducati-esque with that trellis frame. Some day I'll probably get a BMW but it will be a used bike for sure.

·
Registered
720 Posts
What Motorcycle IS "worth" $14,700?

And what car is "worth" more than $20,000? And why are people paying $600,000 for tiny, unimproved lots in San Francisco? Why is saffron $150,000 a pound?

Sure, I'll probably go faster on an R6, but the BMW is inarguably a unique product in a lot of ways, and if soemthing is unique and produced in small quantities, and there is a demand, the price will be high.

Sorry to seem pissy, but one thing that truly irks me is when an opinion is stated as fact!

·
Registered
227 Posts
This is an interesting bike, and it looks terrific.

It is especially a departure from all previous sporting BMW's, though. Crappy passenger seat (shoot, why bother? That seat's positively R1-esque! Just make it a solo bike), no obvious place for the hard bags....hope they sell 'em with heated grips!

What I wonder about is what it's target market is. Although it looks like it would be fun as heck in the real world, those HP and weight figures aren't anywhere near competitive with modern big 4 supersports.

Maybe they're shooting at the SS1000 Ducati (dropped after this year...ouch) or Buell XB12 (I know, completely different vibe, but it's another odd bike out), or maybe the Paul Smart LE Ducati. Maybe even the Tuono.

Bikes that aren't cutting edge in speed or handling but have bags and bags of character and let's face it, go faster than most of us can anyway.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Blame W.

The rising euro, yen , Canadian dollar etc. is no accident. Big Federal Deficit Spending by the W. Good for U.S. exports though.. oops but Chaney says tax cuts will make us spend our way out of deficits right Buz. Until Uncle Sam gets his credit card bill after W is done in office.. It's 80s all over again except boomers are retiring yikes.. Think I'll move to Canada before its to late.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Er, try Munich for the head office of BMW, and Spandau in Berlin for the Motorrad factory. Stuttgart is the slum where they make Mercedes and Porche!

I like the look of this - lighter and more powerful than my R1100s, and as a benefit, uglier too!

·
Registered
424 Posts
My only experience with this model was an 1100 that had this tremendously funky factory paint job. (Yellow and Black)

I was getting my brick worked on, so the dealer gave me the 1100 ride for the day. (How many of the big 4 dealers will do that?)

The first thing I noticed about the bike was, for a sport bike, it was really comfortable. The bike fit really well. (I'm 6'2")

The next thing that jumped out is how light the bike felt for being as heavy as it is. This made it surprisingly flickable on the back roads, but still solid as a rock on the interstate. A fairly pleasing ride.

My one complaint was, Superbike looks, mini bike motor. The thing had no power at all. I joked with the dealer after riding the bike, saying that it needed about 30 more horses. Then it would be a really nice bike.

Looks like I got my 30 horses! It will be interesting to see how they change the feel of the bike?

I can hardly wait for a test ride!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.