Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11,491 Posts
The AirHawk should be along soon to set you straight on what a fancy boy poof bike the ZX14 is.
Ah, I see my Reputation has preceded me; much like the Delicate Aroma of a Wild Rose............ :cool:

·
Registered
11,491 Posts
I would suggest a motorcycle with two wheels, and an internal-combustion engine.

A working braking-system attached to each wheel might help, too.

Seats are for Sissies, though.

·
Registered
11,491 Posts

·
Registered
11,491 Posts
Hi everyone,

My name is max and i am 18 years old. I have never rode a motorcycle in my entire life and in the past couple months i have really been wanting one. I recently just signed up for a safety motorcycle class that starts in June and i would really like to get one shortly after that (within a couple of weeks or a month). At first i wanted either the sv1000s or the FZ1, but then i came to the conclusion that those bikes may be a little to powerful for my first bike so now i have decided that my decision lies between the sv650 and the FZ6. I really like these two bikes, but i do not know which one would be better for me to start with. I am open to other ideas for bikes too and would really like the hear other recommendations, but i would really like to know if i could start with a sv650 or FZ6.
Well Max, if you follow your instincts rather than the Lust in you heart, you just might live to your 2nd bike.

Between the two, the SV650 has a more-forgiving "personality" over the FZ-6. While "tamed" a bit over the R6, the FZ still has power-delivery characteristic of your typical Supersport - not really forgiving of the ham-fist of a New Rider.

That said, the SV650 isn't exactly what I'd call a "Beginner Bike", either. It's just MORE suitable than the FZ; but that doesn't mean I'd endorse one for someone who has yet to straddle a moto.

MY advice (worth exactly what you're paying for it here) is to TAKE the MSF course FIRST. THEN shop around, and come back here to ask questions. (Hint: I personally think the new Ninja 250 is the Fargin' Shizznit, Yo!)

Motorcycling isn't for everybody, and there's no shame in finding-out it isn't for you (not necessarily YOU-you, if you knowwhutImean, Vern).

Failing any/all that, one should just buy themself a ZX-14 or a BossHoss on Credit, and Katie-Bar-the-Fargin'-Door on the throttle, after aiming it first at the nearest immovable-object or heavy, rush-hour traffic..........

·
Registered
11,491 Posts
Would the 250 ninja be fit for long trips? I am 18 and i am leaving for college in the fall. I would be traveling from Chicago to Albany New York. Would the 250 be able to make that trip?
Four years-ago, there was a man ran the Iron Butt Rally on a Ninja 250 (previous generation, of course). To be certain, I imagine it wasn't in as much comfort as guys on a larger bike.

A set of soft-luggage, tank bag, maybe a tail bag. Granted, the wind-resistance of a set of luggage will probably slow the bike a bit, but how fast do you need to go?

Your size is just-about ideal for this bike, IMHO.

·
Registered
11,491 Posts
I just want to point out that I'm not exactly a new rider. I know that the Aprilia RS50 is absolutely tiny, but it still has a normal gear selector and set-up (and most of the same types of safety issues) as bigger bikes and I've been riding mine nearly every day for about 3 years.
Edited to add: Sorry, I might have a bit of an inferiority complex about the RS50. Even though I've only received compliments on it it still sounds like a weed whacker and I know it.

What I'm really interested in is what people think would make reliable daily commuter that I could also have a little fun with on weekends.
No apologies necessary for the 'Prilly-fiddy. It is what it is, and what it is is Cool. I've a friend that had one with a big-bore kit - some 70-80cc, the thing could manage almost 70mph. Freakin' sweet!

·
Registered
11,491 Posts
So I figured it's my turn to give the tongue lashing a go. I'm a new rider (a la posting in this thread) and taking the MSF class next month. I'm a 5'11" 240lb guy. (Yes, I'm a large Asian. Side note: One of the main reasons for a sport bike. Large Asian in a skull cap on a cruiser?)

Anyways, I've been poking around for a first bike. I've talked to some of my friends (some knowledgeable, others not so much...) and they've suggested the EX500s, GS500, Ninja 500s and other sub-600cc bikes, but I can't seem to find any of them used at a price that doesn't warrant picking up a new one. I live in the NYC area and the average recent non-scratched GS500 is going for about 3-3.5k. Ideally, I'd like the SV650S (Going for 4.5k in good condition, if you can ever find one) which I can "grown into" and not want to sell it after riding it for 4 months.

Long story, short: I've been looking for a decent used bike for the last month or so and things are coming up short. So I've kind of just said eff it and putting serious thought into picking up an overstocked SV650S from a dealer. (~6,000 around here). Of course, I'd leave out the lower fairings to save myself and my wallet the heartache of buying new fairings after a week. (Mainly a stepping stone for an eventual sport touring.)

Just looking for someone to verbally slap me out of the idea or push me over the edge. Either way...
As opposed to a large Asian in a wife-beater and backwards-ballcap on a Gixxer Thou? :D

The SV650(and "S" model) is a great bike; lightweight, good power, usable suspension, decent ergos. It's about a step and a half above what I consider as the average "starter" bike (so far as power goes) - but you're a fairly big guy.

It's doubtful you could ever "outgrow" the SV - you might lust for more power after awhile, but that's coming from a base emotion.

Personally, I would go with the Standard model - cheaper, less to break when you drop it (that upper-fairing breaks just as easily as the lowers) - usually just a dent in the tank and a peg or pedal and a lever, few scrapes, etc. It's got better ergos (but there is something to be said for hiding that fugly frame with plastic).

You COULD do worse, the SV is very manageable if you can control that right wrist.

You'll wear it like a hat if you can't.

Don't forget to budget for gear: AT THE LEAST a helmet, gloves, sturdy boots, and armoured jacket. Consider armoured pants, too. Lots of good choices out there for gear.

It's either that, or the backward-ballcap and the Gixxer Thou.

·
Registered
11,491 Posts
Get a used Kawasaki 250 and call it a day. You will spend less than half of the 6 G's.
With PLENTY left-over for Crack-a-lackin' Gear!

I like the Icon stuff, personally. The old TiMax gloves and the "Advance - Skorpion" helmet went real well with my Kobe' perf'd-leather jacket. I look like a refugee from "The Wraith" or "Mad Max" with 'em on........ :D

·
Registered
11,491 Posts
"Proficient Motorcycling" by David Hough, "Total Control" by Lee Parks, and finally "Twist of the Wrist II" by Keith Code.

Books I whole-heartedly recommend, in that order.

·
Registered
11,491 Posts
Hi, 1st post on this forum. I want to buy a SuperSports Bike soon, but I don't really understand much about motorcycles :confused: , so can someone please help me choosing one to buy?
I'll use this bike for riding in the city, near the beach, highway, but not for racing. I want it to be beautiful, but also fast and easy maintenance (low gas consumption)... :-D

Wich is the best?
2008 Honda CBR 1000R
2009 Yamaha R1
2008 Suzuki GSX-R 1000
2008 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10
Others...

Thanks ;-),
Johny93
It doesn't matter. Pick the one you think you'll look best on in the picture they display on top of your Casket at your Funeral.

·
Registered
11,491 Posts
Oh, I see. I already know the basics on how to ride a motorcycle. I usually drive my uncle's bike in his backyard. It is a old yamaha. But I'm turning 16 next year and I want to get a bike for me
Oh, I see. Well then, that's different. Have you ever considered opening a Riding Academy with all your vast experience?

Get your Ass to an MSF Beginning Rider Course. Don't F'n argue, just F'n do it.

What you think you know about riding could fill a colander to overflowing. What you actually know is an entirely different kitchen-utensil. The one with the handle you hold just so, but when you hold it wrong it slices-off three fingers while you're attempting to peel a rutabega...........

If this pysses you off - that's tough. Be pyssed in one hand, shyte in the other and see which one fills-up faster.

I'm sick and tired of having to deal with the aftermath of some jackass that thinks a Gixxer-Thou-YO! is the bike for them, 'cuz "I'll just outgrow that Gixxer-Sixxer-YO! in six months anyway". And neither was an appropriate bike for the deceased's/maimed's skilzerz, yo.

·
Registered
11,491 Posts
I find out what kind of loan I'm going to be looking at tomorrow. Wish me luck!
You should take the Loan Officer a Present - something chocolate.

I know! - Take a Chocolate Gun as a Gift for them!

Then, rush into the Bank excitedly and shout "GIVE ME THE MONEY OR YOU WON'T HAVE A REASON TO LIVE!" and wave the Chocolate around for everyone to see what a wonderful gift you've brought.

Success is a virtual Guarantee!

·
Registered
11,491 Posts
I'm a day or two away from purchasing a 2006 Virago 250 which is in mint condition, under 900 miles, $2,100 =)
That sounds more like it!

And when you're ready to move-along to the next bike - be sure to give the next rider a good deal on it like it appears you're getting.

·
Registered
11,491 Posts
Ignore "Resale Value" - no bike is an "Investment". Get the bike that you can use, that fits YOU, that YOU can handle. Preferrably as light and low-powered as possible.

If you like Motorcycling, you'll get your Value out of riding the bike, no matter what brand or model.

If not, you won't.

It really is that simple.

·
Registered
11,491 Posts
I would have to disagree, I started off with a Ducati Monster 698 and that was basically a dream bike. Not to fast, handled likea dream, very forgiving, and I got mine cheap due to family ;)
A Duc 698 is NOT a Supersport 600.

·
Registered
11,491 Posts
Avoid the early (pre-1987) Honda V-4s like the plague. They are terrible bikes with weak transmissions and valve gear. 80's Kawasaki and Yamaha 4s are bulletproof. Some of the Suzukis from that era have alternator issues.
Hell, some of the Hondas from that and the next-two decades have "alternator issues".......

Of course, Honda took the typical German Approach to those issues "Our Engineering is SOUND - there IS NO Alternator/Rectumfriar Issue!"

1 - 16 of 16 Posts