Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
There are stereotypes everywhere and the bottom line is be yourself & dont feel like you have to fit the mold of whatever you think it is people expect of you.
I was in my early 20's on my first real cruiser and knew no one who had one. Everyone I knew had dual spots or supersports, and I rode with them all on & off but wasnt into trail riding on a vulcan 800, or weaving traffic at 100+ MPH.
I liked cruising, and thats what I did. Even after I found a small group (club) of cruiser owners (through a co-worker who invited me to a few of their events), they didnt like my "jap bike", and had N.S.B. (no stock bikes) and other opinions, and would rather spend 6 hours hitting 5 beer joints then actually riding, so I diddn't fit in with them either. Now I'm in a nice club who I do feel like I fit well into, but still do the majority of my riding alone, or just with a passenger. Having a motorcycle isnt a status symbol or a social event for me, it's something I enjoy, so I do it. I don't have pins & patches on my gear, helmet stickers, or flags on my bike, nothing wrong with that but to me thats status, or attention seking, sure it makes for good conversation, and most in my club are pretty decorated people, but it's just not my thing.
I know I got off track here but do what & ride what your gut tells you, you arent doing this for anyone else. It's your money, your time & your life & limb on the line so you make the calls.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I should give some details: This is a 2006 Yamaha Virago 250 with under 900 miles.

And I got this well cared for bike for $2,100. Yep, $2,100.

I'm not sure you can beat that.
I'd say you got a deal, make sure the maintence is up to date, oil, etc, and make sure the tires arent craking

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
upshifting, I'm sure you can safely take the revs a little higher, downshifting you'll just have to feel the deceleration and know when your "drag" is fading & then drop another gear. I usually drop gears as I'm decelerating too, but if speed wasn't high or if braking uphill, I'll just use the brakes but don't forget prepare for 1st gear for takeoff regardless.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I mean come on, when the light turns green I have to be in third gear by the time I'm riding under it or I have no power and it sounds like I'm on a race track. It's just starting to feel like one of two things is coming down the road; either I'm going to start despising the bike or I'm going to destroy it. Or both I guess is also an option.
Most any bike would need to shift while crossing an average intersection. I ride a 1300 v-4 and often in 3rd gear by time I get across some of the larger ones, but sure, I could hang on 1st gear through it, roaring & revving, but I usually shift early anyway unless I forsee needing the power.

Also most any manual tranny car, you'd shift before getting to the far side of the intersection. And your bike should have a rev limiter, I'd say shifting 5-8 MPH before letting it kick in aint too bad.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I had a Vulcan 800 before the Royal Star and was a bit more agressive then then I am now. I remember it would rev limit at 36, 54 and 88MPH for 1st 2nd and 3rd gears. I dont dobut there are bikes to hit 90 in 2nd gear but there's no reserve power at that point therefore no reason to do it, he wants you to think his wonderful bike is better then your wonderful bike..... but it isnt.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I had a Vulcan 800 which is a little more bike then the 750, and loved it, Honda makes a great product too, with reason I don't think they are too big to start on for a mature adult.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts