Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems as though the non-riding legislature of Tenn has it's head buried deep in it's ass. How bout all the crap rolling around on 4 wheels that should be scrapped for waste? Are they gonna put anti-lock brakes on all vehicles so they won't slip and slide on the winter ice? If someone is aware of other roadway traffic, they will see the approaching headlight, if they are not paying attention (most cases), then a modulating headlight is nothing but an extra expense. Guess I won't be spending any time in Tennessee ridin. Stupid ass's. BTW, Florida, jacket, helmet, gloves, etc.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK then, seeing's as how we are bozo's, how about you checking out how much it will cost you to rig up a light and antilock brakes on your bike (assuming you a. have a bike and b. you don't have these features), could be you next antibozo.

·
Registered
54 Posts
That's what happens when only 40 percent of the people in this country vote and only 50.00001 percent of that 40 percent elect the people in office. I'm not sure democracy has succeeded when soo few can tell soo many how to live.

·
Registered
8 Posts
This really sucks for all you folks in TN. I can't believe your government is going to require ABS on all motorcycles. You're about to have a very limited selection of motorcycles available to you that don't require massive aftermarket upgrades. How did you folks let this get through?!

As a Life member of the AMA, I vowed never to travel in TN as long as the whole Koella fiasco was still going on and have donated money towards the AMA Billboard fund to memorialize Terry (the man Koella killed). Now, I'm sure as hell not going to spend my vacation dollars there.

This is just another reason for all of you non-believers out there to join the AMA, the MRF or any of the other pro-motorcycling organizations out there. Don't think it can't happen to you or in your state. Look where the folks in TN are now...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Clever Hoax?

MO, I think you've been duped. I can't find a Tennessee Chronicle newspaper in any listing I try. The web address is suspect, too. Why would a medical site (with no links) host a newspaper's webpage? Where's the link to the paper's home page? How about an address or phone number to the Tennessee Chronicle? This looks like very well-crafted bullsh*t from someone with an axe to grind, either from the webmaster of telemed.md or a clever hacker.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Quick, everyone grab a roadmap, a favorite bike, and an attitude and let's go riding in the land of "Big Brother" and the heavy hand of spiteful misguided (and perhaps slightly inbred) lawmakers. Mass civil disobedience and the strong arm of information can bring down this wall. I call for a massive rally to Tennessee to "flip off" and undo an unjust law. Let "Johnny Law" put us all in jail.

If we allow laws like this to stand, it's only a matter of time before we completely loose the right to ride.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It appears that yes, I am a bozo, having been taken in by this amusement. I guess that there is so much controversy surrounding motorcycles and safety nowadays to where something like this doesn't seem unrealistic. This forum erupts with emotion when the mere prospect of another sanction against us seems likely. What the hell are we supposed to believe that we read here now? Nothing! Get your s#!? together MO!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am a librarian who actively works with web development and information resources in a university environment. One of the frustrating things about the explosion of information resources on the world wide web is the lack of critical judgement shown by most readers.

I encounter this all the time with students, but obviously, the editors at MO were taken in as well. In this case, the hoax was pretty obvious, starting with the April 1 effective date for the legislation, followed by the fact that the URL to the article leads to a site that has nothing to do with news. A simple "view source" reveals the author's comments admitting it's a hoax.

If so many people can be fooled so easily by a hoax as obvious as this one, it's depressing to think how easily they can be manipulated by "reliable sources" found on the web on more serious topics, such as health care, the environment, and (regrettably) the presidential election.

·
Registered
71 Posts
One biker with straight pipes is in itself not all that bad. But when you get a whole crew of them together and they rumble by your house eclipsing all other audio input isa when they become obnoxious. Also there is no proof that people respond to loud pipes in a manner inwhich benfits the rider. We are taught from a early age what sirens represent we do not respond to them just because they are obnoxious.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Although some of their stories are lame, they are one of the few online places that have something new every day, unlike 2wf.com (which practically went belly up). AMASuperbike.com is also pretty good, but they are almost always focused on the racing, which at this time of years means speculative stories on rides for next year (which also get boring day after day).

·
Registered
368 Posts
Actually as of 1 PM or so today, if you click the URL for the story, it now says it is a hoax. The page reads

Not True

The story that was posted here about required modulators and ABS on motorcycles in Tennessee was a ruse that was intended only to be seen by a group of people who regularly attempt to fool each other with bogus stories like this one. Our group has a long history of clowning around like this, and many of them knew that this was just another joke immediately.

It was never expected or intended by the author that this web page would be seen by anyone outside that group.

One or more participants in that group posted the article to another discussion group and the whole thing spread like wildfire. As soon as I was aware that this was happening I pulled the web page down.

I humbly and sincerely apologize for the trouble this joke caused

·
Registered
33 Posts
I agree with you, man. I belong to the mailing list where all this originated from. They have an annual contest for the MBA (Master Baiters Award). Whoever baits the most people in the most extravagant manner wins the award. Putting the guys supposed phone number and other personal info out there was just uncalled for. It was a joke to be shared with his mailing list buddies, and now he might get fired. What a sad group we bikers can be.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I don't understand why you are defending MO in this case. They clearly either posted a story that they did not research for validity, or they posted something that they knew was not true, in an attempt to scare us into seeing what kind of laws "could be passed".

I agree that it was not necessary to post the guys personal information that wrote the story (intentionally as a hoax, as part of a contest). He doesn't need the grief or potential of losing his job.

But MO needs to do more than just search the Internet for MC related stories and post them here. At least something in a print media has some validity, as the original writer has to do some research before an editor will allow them to publish an article like that.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.