Motorcycle Forums banner
41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
The old ST was let down by its headlights. Anything with "tourer" in its name has got to be effective after nightfall. If they have sorted that out and not put anything else too far wrong then the new ST should be a great bike.

·
Registered
10,904 Posts
Re: Look who's talking.

The GPTB welcomes all manner of machines, V-Twin and otherwise. It's certain personality types we exclude.

How could the Greta Motorcycle Prophylatic not know MV Agusta is famous for the inline four?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Excellent point meredici. I'm in the market for a new bike and have tested a few 600 class sport bikes. The Daytona is very comfortable, and more of an every-day machine than the latest and greatest from the Big Four. I'm not capable of wringing every 1/10 of a second out of these incredibly competent machines, so the performance of any of these bikes is more than enough for me. Its also, in my opinion, is one of the best looking bikes available in North America. It is modern-looking, yet has crisp and clean lines which differentiate it from the busy detailing of the Japanese 600s.

I want a bike NOW however, so I can't see waiting for these new batch of Triumphs to hit the market. Four wheels just ain't the same as 2!

../c

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
I see Triumph's designers are still a generation behind everyone else. The ST looks like an old Ford Focus. Still, it's tempting. Gotta love that triple. Hopefully Mom's China Blue and Wake Me Up Silver aren't the only color choices. Green or black, please.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I like the new ST...

I think the angled look does look good on this class of bikes, having the underseat exhaust (finally) is a big plus as well.

As for the bags bein huge: I'D [email protected]#)$* HOPE SO. When you put the bags on a bike like this, you want to haul lots of stuff, and those bags look like they'l do the trick well. Looks like a good 1/2 a goldwing of capacity with just the side bags.

The two unanswered questions:

How does it look with the bags off but the mounting-hardware on?

Will ABS be available?

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Do you mean I'll get kicked out if I buy a new Triumph, or if I think like a squid?

This club's got some confusing rules. Must be the mass onset of Alzheimer’s.

I'll have to assume it was the squid thing. There should be a blanket exemption for anything Triumph--even sportbikes.

Besides, I've already got a Kawi and you let me in. But that could have been the Alzheimer’s, too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
... I recently picked up a 2003 ST...

.. the new ST is ugly... from the alien eyes headlights to the pointy angles all over, to the huge bags... someone else said its a VFR knock off...

tweachisown

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I'll tell you, after seeing it in person, I really like it. The dealer, get this, just CALLED ME to do a demo ride on the 955. I think I'm gonna ask for a 600 ride, too. Although, I'd probably be more interested in the 650 when it arrives. I'm really curious to see how the 600 handles. I'm not real concerned about the weight, I'm used to a bigger, heavier bike anyway.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Anything Brit., Anything Italian, Any Harley, Any REAL Indian (sorry, even we have standards), Any German as long as you stay in back where you belong, Any Japanese as long as you don't wear day-glow power ranger suits

It's more attitude than equipment, the single biggest criteria is you have to have money 'cause the new guy buys the beer.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I'll tell you, after seeing it in person, I really like it. The dealer, get this, just CALLED ME to do a demo ride on the 955. I think I'm gonna ask for a 600 ride, too. Although, I'd probably be more interested in the 650 when it arrives. I'm really curious to see how the 600 handles. I'm not real concerned about the weight, I'm used to a bigger, heavier bike anyway.

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
Well, I did and I do. But I decided that the RS would be more practical for my uses since I would use it for my 85 mile per day commute up I-15 as well as needing the wind protection when riding to my favorite windy roads. Whatever I get will see a fair amount of Interstate miles. The incredible prices on RSes sort of pushed me in that direction since according to the Trumpet website both bikes use the same engine.

Now however..... hmmmmmm... the S3 comes without the bug shield now. So I could mount my own little wind protection device... hmmmm. Decisions decisions.

A Union Jack paint job would make the decision for me.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Thank you all. I feel vindicated.

Recently I had a discussion with a person, and I said I believed that the Daytona would be a good bike to test alongside the CBR F4i, as well as Kawasaki's new ZZR600 and the Yamaha's stellar YZF600, considering that as far as supersport 600s go, they were better comparable to eachother as real world rides. The guy basically said I didn't know what I was talking about and tried to big-league me by saying "I ride the bikes not just read about them." Maaaan, my blood was boiling. Especially since I knew he has never ridden the Daytona 600 himself.

So I'm glad to hear that other MOrons out there, with experience, can back up what I have "read."

I feel vindicated.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
You'll get better prices on the RS, the '05 S3 is going to go full sticker for a while I'm sure.

Part of the reason I got the Trophy over the Thunderbird Sport was the fairing and windshield. I don't know how cold it gets in Utah but here in the winter 45' and damp @ 75mph feels like 100' below, In past time when I had unfaired bikes I wound up driving more than I care to.

Now I'm set for the winter I can focus on a play bike, the T100 with the Thruxtons higher displacement, lumpier cams and 10.5:1 pistons is just icing on the cake.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Re: Thank you all. I feel vindicated.

It doesn't pay to argue with a fool, he'll never change and you'll just get frustrated.

Just smile and nod your head and say "by golly, your absolutely right"

41 - 60 of 79 Posts