Motorcycle Forums banner

New V max in 2007?

27K views 55 replies 29 participants last post by  dmiller779 
#1 ·
First post??? Finally--------

#4 ·
i test-rode a rocket iii and it was WAY fun, 'cept my feet kept parachuting off the pegs at speeds above 100 (don't tell the dealer). if yamaha can top the rocket then i think they should. screw the safety-crats and their anal-retentive hand-wringing. bring on the Big Iron.

but what i REALLY would lust for is the rocket iii engine in a touring platform. there aren't enough "Os" in "toooorque" to describe that engine, and as such it could rewrite performance standards for touring bikes. i love my K1200LT but the motor is pretty anemic. i figure a rocket would wake it up nicely, at the cost of a rather severe hike in tire spinage (and therefore replacement costs).

so bring on the rocket iii tourer and shoehorn the max into a touring bike too, while you're at it.

#10 ·
I dunno. There's an article on www.triumphrat.net about a new motorcycle accident study and how it's being funded. I think they got the article from the AMA. Everyone thought that was great, but one person pointed out that the study will inevitably address the fact that there are 150- and 200-hp bikes out there, available for a very reasonable sum ... I, for one, I'm very worried about the safetycrats...

#14 ·
Re: On the 8th day God created the V-Max

What's firing order balance? Please define as I have never heard of that term.

Do you mean primary and/or secondary balance? THAT I understand. Simple Kinematics.

Your inline 4 won't have perfect balance. You can get either primary or secondary balance, but not both. That is why you see balance shafts in 4 cylinder engines (in cars). To be balanced, you need it.

See http://www.designofmachinery.com/DOM/Page675.pdf

What kind of engineer are you, anyway? My guess is software.

I'll get off of your case now. Too little sleep and a slow work day.

#15 ·

V4's are great.

I had an original Saber. It was a piece of crap. It took mighty Honda a couple of years to get it right. Stuffing V4's into bikes isn't easy. They are necessarily more complex, as well as more expensive to manufacture. The Sabre was a pain to work on, and oh boy, did that top end need work.

Anyway V4's are still great.

I am amazed that there is not a single one in automobile production and I am not sure there has EVER been one. Certainly not in the modern era. It is insane to me that there are all these sub 3 liter V6s out there and no V4's.

Then again, who am I to question every auto design team in the world.

#17 ·

What kind of engineer are you, anyway? My guess is software. No I design cupholders ...:) Firing order balance is defined by Kawasaki in promo material as the inherent balance from a 4 cyclinder 4 cycle engine.. i.e while one cylinder is in compression, another is in exhaust, another in intake, another in combustion. No potato potato, In addition 90 degree Vs have good primary balance right????

"With a sufficient number (m) of cylinders, properly arranged in banks of n cylinders in a

multi-bank engine,* an engine can be inherently balanced. In a two-stroke engine with

its crank throws arranged for even firing, all harmonics of shaking force will be balanced

except those whose harmonic number is a multiple of n. In a four-stroke engine with its

crank throws arranged for even firing, all harmonics of shaking force will be balanced

except those whose harmonic number is a multiple of n/2."

What kind of an engineer are you my guess is mechanical. No I have done both hardware (electronic) and software B.S. E.E. and M.S. C.S. (working on it)..P.S, I got As in Statics, Dynamics, Thermo, and Mechanics of Materials Nana Nana Naner...M.Es only wish they were EE

#22 ·
Correction according to the Innnernet (country twang) flat fours are God's chosen cfg

The benefit of using an horizontally opposed engine versus a V engine is that it provides perfect balance because each piston's movement is exactly counterbalanced by the corresponding piston movement of the opposite side. These engines can run perfectly smooth and free of vibrations with a four-stroke cycle, regardless of number of cylinders, and do not require the counterweights on the crankshaft to balance the weight of the reciprocating parts which are required in other engine configurations.</a>

#24 ·
KPaul was right,Take that back 90 deg V-4 is narrower and has perfect primary balance

The earliest VF series engine was designated the V45 for its size (45 in³ or 748 cc), was very narrow being only 16 inches (406 mm) wide, and had perfect primary balance making for a smooth, vibration-free engine. A smaller V30 (500 cc) engine and a larger V65 (1100 cc) engine were also available, the latter becoming known as the fastest production bike in its time, and the original competition for the famous Yamaha V-Max."

Blitz I love it when I am right...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.