Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
The more the merrier! If this is real, lets hope the production bike has less of the "70's Kit Cafe Racer" look. The photo looks kinda like an old Dunstall kit was grafted onto a garden variety Victory.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I talked to him at the Edge track day at BIR. He’s an engineer at Polaris, as well as a CRA novice class 600 super sport (number 370) on a Honda 2fi. He said he raced in California for a number of years but he had to start out in the novice class in the CRA.

He put together this bike, as seen in the photo, to compete at a 5 hour endurance race at BIR coming up in September. Polaris was sending this frame and motor to the crusher but he talked them into letting him make it into a project bike and of course test it at track days. I got to talking to him because after one track session he came up and apologized for making a pass coming into turn 9, I thought it was a great pass but he thought it was kind of close.

·
Registered
48 Posts
It looks really homemade, but it does give Polaris the opportunity to test for interest in such a bike without spending a dime. That said, this thing looks so derivative of a Buell; it would be doomed on the sales room floor from the get go. The last I checked, Buell's weren't flying out of dealers. The market for this type of machine isn't large enough for two manufacturers.

However, the machine could be technically legal for the new Formula Extreme. If Polaris could field a competitive bike, the sportbike landscape could truly change. I'd love to see big air-cooled twins smacking around 600s

·
Registered
473 Posts
doesn't look to serious to me ...

that thing must weight a ton. not a serious racebike, except in a race limited to trundling v-twin posers.

if victory wants to win races they'll need a new engine, i'm afraid. this bike looks like someone's garage project.

·
Registered
10,900 Posts
Kingpin

I just wanna know if the new Victory Kingpin comes with a giant, fake comeover that flops to the side like Bill Murray's when he was bowling for the championship.

You could have that thing flopping out the side of your helmet like the fake ponytails the Harley guys wear.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Re: Kingpin

Hey Buz,

Off topic but...

I just noticed your email address. I'm sure it's a fake email address but man is that funny. LOL. You may have something there! If I had a megawatt stereo on my ride I could play some sound effects too for some real good laughs. Pull up beside some bad attitude cager and simulate a 130db fart! LOL. I'm in a Friday mood! Ok my discussion is going south I will be quiet.

·
Registered
10,900 Posts
Re: Kingpin

Seruzawa once made a comment a while back about my Ducati saying, "loud clutches save lives" so I incorporated his humour into my geezer glide fake email.

The funny thing is, it really gets people's attention. When I ride up next to someone with Audioslave or some such thing blaring you can bet I'm not in their blind spot anymore!

·
Banned
2,752 Posts
Another Eric Buell? You gotta love this country

Isn't this how Eric started? I have to say that the Victory Engine looks much prettier than that there Sportser engine in the Firebolt. Love it. Tell the Polaris engineer we admire his innovation and ability to pull it off. This country is full of guys like this thats what makes us special i.e. the dream that starts in the garage turns into the next Apple, HP, Buell, etc. Even if 99% of these efforts never make to that level its cool people have the guts to thing out on the track for everyone to see.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Wow... This is kinda cool. It's a lot like the bike I've been designing in my head, basically taking a Yamaha Warrior and rebuilding it into a sportbike / streetfighter frame / body style motorcycle. I had the idea after I rode essentially that thing in a dream... Maybe it's a sign that I really should build it. I'm a bit concerned about the weight, though. Modern sportbikes (R1, etc) are in the 450 lbs dry range, yes? The Warrior is 600. Might make the handling a bit cranky. I'll have to see what can be done to lighten things up. I suppose even if it weren't a track monster it would be cool to ride on the street.

-Kawazuki

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.