Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
all very impressive, but i still find kawi's to be consistently visually uninteresting, or downright ugly to behold.

but hey, it'll put me and my monster in our place, so who cares?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ninja 650R / ZX-10

I like the Ninja 650R. I like naked bikes but the bikini fairing / headlight on the ER-6N is just so ugly. Hopefully Kawasaki will make a normal looking naked ala the SV650 available in the US sometime soon.

As for the ZX-10, I really could care less. So it makes a little more totally unusable horsepower and has a styling redesign. Yawn.

I do find it funny that motorcycle manufacturers are going on about improving aerodynamics as they turn out motorcycles with higher drag coefficients then tractor trailer rigs. If they really want to improve aerodynamics then they need to lower the rider, enclose the front wheel in a dustbin type fairing, and streamline the rear. BTW, the most important part of a vehicle aerodynamically is the rear. Yes, I know that this is all illegal per racing rules, but then again, the vast majority of motorcycles are not raced. I’d like to see one of the major manufacturers come out with something like Gurney’s alligator.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Why did they paint the 650's frame the same color as the old Sears Allstate Puch 250? Yeeech!

Maybe they hired the same old DKW janitor who did the styling on the Beemer 1200C and the Aztec.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Finally something to club race on besides an SV

I want a Ninja 650R in racing green, Sharkskinz, exhaust and chip. Then make it a dual purpose bike like Sean's old SV. I miss my old EX500 race bike. This looks like the ticket to get me something to pull that dual purpose duty.

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
I like the 650R. Looking forward to the review. The only ZX-10 I have any business being on is maybe a 1988 model. These new liter bikes are so far and above anything that I would possibly need or know how to use. That being said, I love watching someone else getting silly on them.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Holy ulgy ZX-10 Batman. They've bastardized it into the ugly older brother of the ZX-6. The first one looked sweet. Why couldn't they just keep it similar to that. And forget the underseat exhaust for crying out loud. If the GSXR1000 doesn't need it and can still kick ass then this one doesn't need it either.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Funny, I had a '47 Salsbury painted the same color. Maybe a Puch-Salsbury-Kawasaki conspiracy?

To me it looks like the same designer who did the 1958 Buick Super, but WTF, dig that swingarm. Can you say IT175?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Damn you Kawasaki - why not offer the naked version of the 650R? Suzuki does an SV650S -- AND -- SV650.

And what happens to the 500R? Does it stay in the lineup past 2006 (which is already announced on their website)? Is this another model in the lineup of twin-Ninjas, or a replacement for the 500R?

Given that I am a current owner of a 500R I should be really excited, but somehow this bike fails to light the fire.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Now that you mention it the rear suspension does look a lot like my IT175's except the Kwacker's is square section.

The Kwacker might look decent except for that maroon/silver paint scheme. Who the heck came up with that combination?

Bet it's a lot of fun though.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Thank you! You read my mind.I was drooling over the 650n,whenI googled their website [european] .Streaming video,accessories,nice.Then Kawi goes and screwed it up by putting on that butt ugly fairing and naming it a ninja.with an r designation no less.Oh yeah ,that ,s not gonna draw any newbies, male or female.And a lot of insurance companies are gonna go"whoa,a ninja r bike?gotta charge you more!We don,t care what Kawi says about it being beginner friendly.We see r and we see ninja,so we see you forking over more bucks"

·
Registered
458 Posts
On the 650R

A: Where did the grab rails go? The ER-6n has nice chunky grab rails, they seem to have vanished in the Ninjaification! Likewise, will the ER-6n topcase fit?

B: ABS! ABS! ABS! The ER-6n has ABS as a $500 option. Will the Ninja 650R have the same?

If the Ninja 650R has ABS as an option, I'm buying one. If not, ehh, sorry. I want an ABS-equipped light-bike.

·
Registered
458 Posts

The EX500 is probably going away in 2007 or 2008, because of the CARB2008/Euro III emissions standards.

The ER engine meets these specs already, but the EX wouldn't meet these without MAJOR MAJOR modification... Like replacing the engine with the ER engine. The ER engine is also a smaller, lighter, and more powerful than the EX500 engine.

So, in the next 2 years, expect the EX500 to go away.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.