Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in purchasing a Triumph bike but don't know which one to purchase. I am 5'2 140lbs.

-What size bike can I handle? I was looking at the Bonneville, bc I like its simplicity but I don't know if it's too big.

-How much does insurance cost about in the state of NY for basic Motorcycle insurance?

-Is financing a bike the same as financing a car? Whats the average interest rate in financing a bike?

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Have you ridden before? If not, take the motorcycle safety foundation course in your area FIRST. Then, buy a used bike to practice with, and then ask about Triumphs.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Unless you are all legs, at 5'2", you will have a good bit of trouble finding a bike of any make that "fits".

AFA Triumphs, you are looking at the Bonneville family. I'd guess they are all too tall for you, but the only way to tell is to find one and mount up. Seats can be modified sometimes to shorten the distance to the ground, but you'll need to do some research.

Concerning insurance and financing, pick a bike you like, and shop around for rates. Purchase price, higher performance and bigger motors equal more premiums.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
No, the America and Speedmaster should be fine. As always, I would remind our reader that seat height is NOT the only factor -- reach to the bars and the controls also is important.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Financing a bike is not the same as financing a car. Interest rates are higher (sometimes much higher) for motorcycle purchases than cars. Why that is, I don't know, but it is what it is. Which is why I don't take out loans on motorcycle purchases. Oh yeah, if you buy a Harley from a dealer (as opposed to buying a Japanese bike from a dealer), you might get an interest rate comparable to purchasing a car. 'Course you might end up paying more for the Harley than you would've for a car :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
"Financing a bike is not the same as financing a car. Interest rates are higher (sometimes much higher) for motorcycle purchases than cars. Why that is, I don't know, but it is what it is. Which is why I don't take out loans on motorcycle purchases."

2 factors:

1- Motorcycles are usually cheaper than cars. The dealer does not want to finance a smaller $ value purchase and thus increase the interest rate.

2- Motorcycles are viewed as a recreational vehicle (ie. transportainment) - people are more likely to default their payments on items that are considered luxury opposed to necessity (eg. cages)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.