Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Get the 'stich and be on your way! Everything else is just an imitation of the real deal. Go ahead and pop for the amor option-it will make your aerostich almost as worthy as a set of leathers, particularly for the street.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Ahhh, a topic close to my heart.

Little history. My ancestors had so much confidence in their fighting abilities that they would go into battle with nothing but their tattoes to protect them in battle. In otherwords, butt naked. That is confidence.

Likewise, if you have confidence in your riding abilties, then nothing other than the mandatory peanut helmet should you ware.

A suggest that you tie down your boys so they don't beat you to death as your riding, though.

Just my two cents.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Personally I like having a variety - I live in Oregon, so I can go through 50 degree temperature changes and from rain to shine all year . Although leathers probably provide the best overall protection, if you feel the heat, you might want to look at brosh.com. They are out of Israel, and make a range of gear for the Israel heat (Kevlar and armor on lightweight cloth) that works pretty well.

·
Registered
29 Posts
That's a lot of bike you got there for a 1st bike. My younger brother had the same first bike and he high sided into a mile marker doing 60 riding reasonably - thinks he hit a patch of something in the road. He compound fractured his right humerus (upper arm) and broke his big toe. He was wearing a Z leather jacket with full ballistic armor sewn that I gave him and a full SHOEI helmet. The jacket was cut off of his body by the medics and the helmet and the bike were trashed. He's fine now, but thank God hea was wearing the armor reinforced jacket and full helmet. Just be careful on that bike. It's very easy to get over confident, especially in the first six months to a year.

·
Registered
415 Posts
"I'm looking for the best combination of crash protection and convenience and comfort available."

Get the Aerostitch. The 1-piece is the most convenient and comfortable suit you'll ever own. My sole transportation is my bike. My wife has the 2-piece and its only advantage is she can seperate the two pieces and wear just the jacket if she wants. I have a good riding jacket I wear on the days I don't want to wear the suit. She wishes she had gotten the 1-piece just beacuse it's so easy to get in and out of.

They will custom make your suit to your exact measurments at no additional cost and the folks are great to work with.

The link below is from MOs own review and, if you haven't already read it, it's pretty good.

http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mcbeware/roadcrafter.html

·
Registered
113 Posts
You must be talking about winter gear, because flip flops and hawaiian shorts are all ya need in the summer...

but seriously, get something that includes direct reflect material...It really gets drivers' attention at night. Lights are not enough. Of course I live in Oregon and 6 months out of the year it's dark about 18 hours a day.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Michigan weather also dictates that you pick your gear wisely or pick up a lot of it.

If you only get one piece of gear, make it a cordura jacket and overpants. If you can afford more, get a 1-piece 'stich and leather jacket. The Cordura is great for all sorts of weather and is fairly protective. Problem is, it looks dorky to 90% of the general public so you keep the leather jacket for when you're going some place and you care about your image. Personally, I wear my 'stich to work, family functions, the gym, and socializing. The jacket is reserved for picking up my wife when her co-workers will be around. Wouldn't want them getting the wrong idea of what kind of people we are. ;)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Tough Subject

Picking a motorcycle is easy compared to picking your riding gear. Absolute statement: There is no one set of riding gear that will cover all riding situations. But the Aerostich roadcrafter comes closest.

Hopefully you are an average size. If you are very tall or very short you are SOL on good gear, unless you go made to measure. Short of an Aerostich, the best comprimise is a cordura/goretex touring 3/4 length jacket, (firstgear makes a good one) and a set of fabric overpants. In very hot weather (come visit Houston in August) I commute wearing a pair of Draggin Jeans and a First Gear mesh type jacket. Weekend sport riding you would want something more protective, like full leather.

I sometimes wear a schott cafe racer style jacket for short trips around town when I want to look stylish at my destination. Unlike most fashionable jackets it is made of very nice motorcycle grade leather. No room for armor though.

Overpants over slacks get unpleasantly hot at 85 degrees or hotter. That's when I wear the draggin jeans.

Boots? For plain simple protection get the Oxtar Matrix goretex or aerostich has a nice pair of alpinestar goretex touring boots that don't look like power ranger boots. Bates Fastlanes are very nice and very comfy, but not quite as protective or waterproof. The Frye boots ( I assume you are talking about cruiser style harness boots), while stylish, are probably going to be too stiff at the ankles for an SV. They also are not a captive fit boot, and hence are subject to coming off in a wreck.

Gloves? More is better. Look at the Icon TiMax gloves. Your Dianese gloves are probably fine. They make good stuff.

Helmet? Any one with DOT and Snell 2000 is going to be safe. Spend money for comfort and ventilation and graphics, if that is your style. Put in a Fog City anti-fog insert. Arai is very comfy and well built, but a bit louder than Shoei and HJC.

·
Registered
236 Posts
If you have the money, get the 'Stich.

Whatever you get, choose bright colors so it's easily visible in city traffic. Too many people choose dark colors because they look cool, then they complain about the stupid cager who "never saw them".

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
First, good choice on the SV650S -- you should have fun with it.

As to clothing, I would say that you can't go wrong with an Aerostich suit (either one or two piece) for all around convenience and protection.

I have had a one-piece Aerostich for over 10 years and have more than gotten my money's worth. I have not crash tested it (but I know people who have), thankfully. I also have 2 sets of leathers -- a fairly innexpensive set of AGV black 2-piece zip together and a Dainese Tattoo (mostly for track use -- a little flamboyant for my tastes for street use).

I seldom ride, other than maybe a short run into town, without either the 'stich or leathers. The big advantage of the 'stich is that you can wear it over street clothes, so you don't have to spend all your time at your destination clomping around with everyone staring at you. It also is pretty water resistant. I don't think I have ever used my old raingear since I got the stich. In a deluge, you could get a little seepage, but not much.

Leathers will probably give a bit more protection, but the Aerostich is damn close. If you don't mind not being able to wear them over street clothes, leather is a great way to go as well.

I'd get some *real* motorcycling boots for anything other than in town riding -- at any speed, those Fryes will fly off your feet, and they don't have the ankle protection if you go down at any speed.

Have fun and ride carefully.

Bob

·
Registered
13 Posts
You can mix and match - I use an A'stich top half of a two piece (shorter so doesn't bunch up like a darien)- (Red w/ black patches) and vanson sportrider leather pants (all black) and thus avoid the michelin man look. Also have a Vanson jacket but the A'stich is both warmer in cool weather when fully buttoned up and cooler in hot weather w/ all the vents open, so the vanson jacket gets used mostly for casual wear/standing aroung looking like a biker.

Note you can visit duluth to get your stich fitted and get the walk-in 10-% discount, plus it's a nice place to visit on a bike - in the summer that is.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recommend the Aerostitch 1 piece with the optional back and hip pads. Not cheap, but less expensive than top line full leathers. Multitude of pockets are extremely handy, it is 95% rain-proof, and you can throw it in the washer when dirty. I usually throw it on over a pair of shorts and a t-shirt. I ride a sportbike and carry a pair of rain gloves and totes under the seat. At speed out on the road, it is also much cooler than leather. I totally agree that choosing the gear is much tougher than picking the machine. Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
The Aerostich is the best but if you don't want to spend that much money, a one piece Tourmaster Cortech suit with armor can be had for about $330. I have Firstgear leather S-Pilot and Flightine pants and the protection and leather feel pretty good but the knee armor is pretty small.

Spend some money on real motorcycle boots with ankle and shin armor (quite a few brands are good). Get a full face helmet with both Snell and DOT stickers. Always wear good gloves.

That should pretty much do it.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Pretty much what everyone else says, if you can afford it the aerostitch is probably the best all around suit. If not the Joe Rocket Ballistic 4.0 is pretty good and about half the price, 'course you get what you pay for,,,,,,. I wear an armoured leather jacket and pants and Sidi on-roads if it's dry and the J.R. jacket and pants if it's supposed to rain. The most important thing is to wear your gear, it won't protect you if it's hanging up in the garage. I'd look into some real M/C boots too, the frye's look cool but they won't protect you as good as Sidi's or Alpenstars. Get and wear good gear, learn to handle your bike before you try pushing it and have fun, that's what it's about.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Aerostitch one-piece is the most versatile, protective piece you can buy. A good leather jacket is second. Leathers third. Emergency rain gear to stuff under the seat for when you're caught without your 'stitch is also helpful.

Nobody else's textile gear is the same as the Aerostitch. They'll customize it for you with multiple return trips for alterations almost expected to get that perfect fit. This does cost $$$ though. Expect $800 min if you don't fit standard sizing. Also check Ebay for used suits.

·
Registered
236 Posts
A good set of leathers work wonders, if you wear them. The problem I see with leathers, particularily leather pants, is that people tend not to wear them because they aren't convienent and/or look odd when you get to your destination. If you're willing to put on a 1-piece suit for a rush-hour commute in 95F weather, more power to you.

As for the 'stich looking ridiculous, it just depends on the crowd you ride with. When all of my friends rode GSX-Rs and Ninjas I thought Cordura suits looked like snowmobile outfits. Now that I know more people with BMWs, GoldWings, and Concours than guys with safety wired oil-filters, Cordura looks pretty normal and street leathers look a bit garish.

·
Registered
10,903 Posts
A novelty helmet with a set of horns attached to it would be cool. He could also ride in some genuine cowboy boots with those nice slick leather bottoms for pulling up to greasy stop lights and toll booths.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.