Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
From an insurance stand (i sell bike insurance only) the bikes i'd pick are: sv650, (if in england) the new bandit 650, m620, ninja500, dr400sm, multistrada 620. i've riden all but the bandit and form the english rags, so far, the bandit reviews were pretty good. if you want fun and small look for a good used fzr400. good luck-

·
Registered
7 Posts
Don't buy the Suzuki SV 650S, its riding position is basically that of a sport bike. You will be much more comfortable on the FZ6 or the Kawasaki Z750.

Now I believe all three models have this, but I must say, I LOVE fuel injection. I'm not buying another bike without it (unless its a really great deal). The reason I bring this up is I'm kinda waiting for an FZ1 redesign... maybe 06? It's due. If you think you can mind your throttle, you may want to skip the intermediaries and go right to a liter bike.

Dave

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
the guy is coming off of a 250 cc bike the sv650 is an excellent bike- the fz6 is wayyyyyyy out of his league (almost 100 hp) and the same goes for the z750. this person need a bike in the 70 hp or under range. the true contender here could be the lovable but butt-ugly dl650.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I guess I should start out by saying that I have a definite V-twin bias, and that's why the SV is my obvious advice. However, I wouldn't choose the SVS. Buy the naked SV, get rid of the standard bars and replace them with drag-bars ($15 - $20 U.S.) then install a pair of Napoleon wrap-around, bar-end mirrors ($50 a pair) and you'll never have to look at your elbows again. For wind protection: there are several very good sport and sport-touring windscreens that can be had for under $100.00 (National Cycle comes to mind).

The benefit of this set-up is that with a few basic tools and about 5 minutes, you can go from putting around on a pleasant commuter to a hauling a$$ on a capable cafe' racer - all you need to do is change the angle of your controls.

Keep in mind that the SV's front end is very mushy: good for strolling, bad for strafing. You can have the front end shimmed and the shock-oil change to a heavier weight for under $100.

The above add-ons to the standard SV come in under $300.00 and - if I remember right - that's still less than what you'll pay for the SVS. In the end, you'll have a much more versatile bike and no expensive plastic to break. Of course, the Napoleons will be roached in a lay-down but you can buy them separately for $25.00 - they're interchangeable from side to side, so order 3.

One last thing: The SV has a monstrous after-market. If you can’t find something, don’t worry – it will probably be available, sometime soon.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Well thats a tough one, because you do country and city often. Sounds like you are on a little bit of a budget. If you don't white line often I would say get a Kawasaki concours. If you do white line then try a honda f4i . The suzuki sv650s is a great choice

also.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Dare to be different, get a Suzuki Burgman 650. Speed, handling, comfort and convenience. You have to understand that this is a step through motorcycle and not your Italian uncle's Vespa. Take one for a test ride. I dare ya.

Rubble

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
YOU GUYS ARE ALL THE SAME. THIS GUY IS COMING OFF A 250CC BIKE. HE NEEDS REAL WORLD ADVICE. AS FOR A MUSHY SV SUSPENSION. UNLESS THIS GUY JUST CAME OFF AN APRILIA RS250 HE DOESN'T KNOW WHAT IN THE HELL YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT. HELPING HIM IS WHAT YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO BE DOING. REAL RIDERS WON'T SUGGEST SOMETHING A NEWBIE CAN'T HANDLE. THINK GUYS.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Sometimes you have to speak (write) loudly to make sure people get the point. The forum (although it's supposed to be for fun, as well) is here to help people with real questions about this sport. If we don't lead newbies in the right direction then we get roads filled with squids, police that pick on us and ever increasing insurance premiums. So, there. Blah, Blah and two pair of pants-----

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
He doesn't say he is not riding an Aprilia RS250. We also don't know how big or small he is. There also maybe a chance he is the type of person that should never have started riding in the first place. Now that I have been a jerk, I agree with you, I worried about suspension on my 10th bike.

·
Registered
233 Posts
the Kawasaki KLR 650 might be worth checking out if available in your locale. That wouldnt be the UK though, as I recall. Anyway, its versatile, comfortable and fun to ride. And inexpensive. And fairly bulletproof if you ever drop it.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
It's funny that the big picture gets missed sometimes in this forum. We have a good time jabbing back and forth with one another but when it comes time to offer real advice to people that are admittedly new riders we tend to take it too lightly. Most of the guys here that are regulars & have a decade or better of experience. Back when most of us started riding all bikes handled like crap and were (by today's standards) slow to do anything (accelerate, handle, stop). This is where the MOFO's should be stepping up. Not ribbing the newbies. We know (from current experience) what we would want if we started out brand new. Today my bike of chioce is the SV. The bike I learned to ride was a 80 GS850. Today that would be a joke. It's like learning on a Nighthawk 250 in todays standards. Would you do that? He did it right and now wants to take the next step. Help guide the guy and we'll gain a MOFO for life.

·
Registered
200 Posts
The big maxi scooters are nice, no doubt. Since he's in England howse 'bout checkin' out the Piaggio X9 and BV 500. Both single cylinder 500's that are quick, agile, comfy, and good lookin' to boot.

·
Registered
29 Posts
You would be best off to sit down and decide what kind of riding you will be doing in the future. Biking gets in the blood and most want bigger more powerful bikes sooner or later.

Do you want cheap transportation or do you want to travel or are you the type that can't help but to make every encounter with another bike into a race. One last word do you like working on bikes?

Just something to think about.

I have a chopper, a custom, and a Yamaha FJR.

And now I am looking at Ducati's.

Be careful the bug may bite you too.

Steve

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
Mine was a 1980 CX500 custom. That may explain my bent toward twins. I just wonder how much "opinion" is rehash of a review that was read. When I start thinking of a 954 and soft luggage as a weekend trip bike, I know this sport can make even a "wiser" rider do dumb things.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.