Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new at this, I am planning to take a training course. But have a few questions....
When riding, how do you know when to shift to the next gear? Is it like a car and you can hear it or tell? or is there something to look at to tell me when I should be shifting?
If I am in town driving stop light to stop light every block. What is the safest way to stop and do I downshift or do I just push in the clutch and get back to first? Say if I am in 2nd or 3rd.

What is the proper way to stop if you are in town making frequent stops?
How about in a senerio where you are driving fast and someone pulls out in front of you?
Thanks

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
"Hi, I am new at this, I am planning to take a training course. But have a few questions...."

Ask all those questions at the training course you are taking. I'm sure you will have all those and 50 more that you will want to have answered. The answers there will have more meaning, as you can practice what they tell you right away.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am not a frequient bike rider but i have rode a few bikes,the absolute first thing 2 rember is never think people are watching for u always watch other drivers ,when shifting listen to the motor like a car on a crotch rocket do not over rev cause a power band will kick in and u will be on your back wheel if not on your back,when stopping at a red light gear down or clutch and brake wait till u get to a slow safe speed or even stopped sometimes then put your feet down. u can take this advice or leave it your choice!

·
Registered
540 Posts
It's not really possible to answer the question of when to shift, each bike has it's own sweet spot in the rev range where it operates best. On sportbikes it's often the higher end of the rev range, on twins it's often the middle or lower point, but it varies by bike.
You'll learn all about braking and shifting in an MSF or equivalent class. Generally you'd shift from 2nd to neutral as you approach a light, and when emergency braking leaving the bike in gear helps you slow the bike, though stalling it won't help so you'll want to practice emergency braking even after the class.
Check out the new rider thread for more information.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.