Motorcycle Forums banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
I too wish them well. At least they are TRYING to compete with Japan. Seems like US and European companies are unable/unwilling to compete, and ARE focusing on niches to avoid competition. Why? Who knows. It's a damn aggravating situation. I don't want to be forced to buy a Japanese bike to ride a competent sportbike, and a reasonable cost. Ducati makes nice sportbikes (999), but they cost twice what a Japanese bike cost, and almost twice what a Daytona costs. I say good on Triumph for competeing. They've only been at this for +/- 13 years, so t's going to take them a while to catch up, but I think they will be able to stand toe-to-toe with Japan Inc. within a very few years! Let's hope HD funds Buell enough to allow them tho REALLY compete also!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Re: Don't worry Triumph has deep pockets.

So the 600TT was a success in your book, Cook? Obviously finances don't equate into your particular formula. The TT was a sales disaster, and Triumph lost its ass on that model. That means Bloor lost his ass. From everything I've read, it seems like Bloor might be at least contemplating cutting his losses and pulling the plug on Triumph. In one interview this year, he said he'd pumped over $100 million into Triumph, and had yet to see any return on his investment. He estimated that Triumph's break-even point was going to take at least five years longer than he had originally predicted.

$100 million is real money, regardless of how rich Bloor is. Triumph had better start turning a profit soon or the Bloor fountain of cash is going to dry up.

Anyone know where Bloor was the night of the big fire?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Anyone notice the new 955i?

Has anyone else noticed the 955i now is back to a single side arm? I need a more comfortable sportbike. Love the GSXR1000 but don't attempt to commute on it. :)

PS 02 Gixxer 1k for sale:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1860203115

would love to see it go to a good home..

·
Registered
146 Posts
You may not want to know once you find out......

WARNING : THIS IS OFF TOPIC

ALL embrio's grow as FEMALE foetus' for the first 9 weeks or so in the womb. All are identical to this stage. i.e. initial formtion of breasts, vagina

Then a burst of testosterone causes the growth of breasts to stop (leaving nipples though)and what would have become a clitoris grows into a penis (they still function similarly in adults !).

Hope this doesnt make you feel uncomfortable.

Next time someone calls you a girl..................

·
Banned
2,752 Posts
Was the TT a success? Was the Millie a success?

Technically for its first try at competing against the likes of Honda, I think they did well. You are right sales probably were not what they wanted. However, everyone has to start somewhere. Ask Aprillia. 10 years ago they didn't make superbikes now look at them.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Re: Was the TT a success? Was the Millie a success?

Technically, the bike sucked. It was slower, more expensive than any Japanese 600, and the FI was horrible. Aprillia makes bikes that compete with the best available. Triumph didn't do that. They will never compete well in a market that demands a complete makeover every 2 years. They are already working on the last generation 600 right now. Of course, every mfg. is a success to you, except the one that can't make enough to meet demand, have waiting lists for their product, and regularly sell bikes for thousands over list price. We all know who THAT terribly unsuccesful mfg. is, right?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Limited Eddition '02 models

The Red "CE" Dayton's that appeared this year was actually a mock up of the '03. Triumph released these bikes (6 of um to the US, maybe 20 worldwide) for sale after the fire in an attempt to help dealers out and to keep up with the production numbers that should have come out.

Note that the Red Daytona's had none of the CE badging that signified all of the Centenial Eddition models.

Along with the Red Daytona there were a similar number of roulette green speed triples, which has also become a stock color for '03.

00SprintRS

·
Registered
81 Posts
Aggggghhhhhhhh! I am having flashbacks to A&P Class! That and Greg Focker in "Meet the Parents" talking about being able to milk anything with nipples.

I am also a nurse -- who rides a sportbike (gasp!!!).

Stormcloud where do you work?

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
howcome you can tuna piano, but you can't play a fish?[to paraphrase little feat],,,www. mcn.uk.com has a few little pictures of the T-bird, and a blurb about them, it's a pretty good web site, [not as good as MO, of course] I still think the speed triple rocks.

·
Registered
146 Posts
In a hospice, in Victoria Australia. Used to work in Oncology, surprisingly different in palliative care..

It's a good way to keep a reality check on life etc. I ride a VTR1000F - just got back from a 500km ride on a huge high.

What about you?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Re: Was the TT a success? Was the Millie a success?

Five years ago Aprilia wasn't in the sportbike business, and Triumph was. Now Aprilia builds a superbike that spanks Triumph's Daytona.

I don't see why you are comparing Triumph to Aprilia, except to show yet another way in which Triumph failed.

·
Banned
2,752 Posts
Never say never for Triumph

The bike was only slightly more expensive. The FI was bad but the bike handling on par with the big 4 600s. I know I demoed one. Triumph can compete given time. Their bikes are origninal and use the latest technology unlike your favorite bike maker.

·
Banned
2,752 Posts
Never say never for Triumph

The bike was only slightly more expensive. The FI was bad but the bike handling on par with the big 4 600s. I know I demoed one. Triumph can compete given time. Their bikes are origninal and use the latest technology unlike your favorite bike maker.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I work on a Telemetry/Surgical floor in Dever, Colorado. I actually work with 2 nurses who have recently moved here from Australia. Nice people.

I ride a CBR600F2. Every once in awhile some doctor or nurse will give me a hard time for riding a "donor cycle". Is that how it is in Australia?

21 - 40 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.