Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding for less than a year now after taking the MSF beginner riding class. I think I did pretty well in the class because I had no falls, but most of the people did just as well if that's how you measure it. After the course I bought a used Kawi 250R for some practice as a beginner because I heard it was a good choice (can take the freeway, good mileage, light, easy to handle).

I live in a very hilly area so it makes it a little more difficult for me to do tight turns and stuff. Most of the problems I have are when I'm parking or trying to pull into small spaces, but up and running I really have no problem. I can do tight turns but maneuvering the bike when it is off, or just with my weight makes me feel uneasy (backing into places, especially when I'm on a hill - these are steep hills :-D ).

I haven't had a spill yet, but have had 2 close calls in my riding (both in the twisties up in the hills), but I understand the severity of falling after those near falls (both where I hesitated to lean more because of fear I would fall, causing me to take the turn wider and hit a patch of gravel on the side of the road).

With all that said and done, I have one question: if it's time to step up (because I think it is, and the Kawi 10000 RPM on regular freeway cruising speed is annoying), what should I get? :confused:

I was looking at the Kawi 650R and the SV 650 by Suzuki because they are good comparisons. I looked at a bunch of forums that compared them, most lean towards the SV, since it has been around longer and the Kawi might not be kind to amateur riders because it jumps at higher revs. But I also thought I might look at the other class of sports bikes, you know the ZX6-R or R6 or GSXR, what do you guys think?

Please help me out. Thanks :D

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.