Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Re: Woo hoo!

Looks like GP might be the race to watch next year -- with Kato coming on strong (if it stays dry), Yamaha (and hopefully Suzuki) becoming competetive with the Hondas, Ducati and Kawasaki in there (hopefully they will have a better learning curve than Suzuki this year).

I wonder if Yamaha are now sorry they let Biaggi get away, not that they lost out on Nicky.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Re: Woo hoo!

Looks like GP might be the race to watch next year -- with Kato coming on strong (if it stays dry), Yamaha (and hopefully Suzuki) becoming competetive with the Hondas, Ducati and Kawasaki in there (hopefully they will have a better learning curve than Suzuki this year).

I wonder if Yamaha are now sorry they let Biaggi get away, now that they lost out on Nicky.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Go Nicky!!!!!!!!

Nicky in GP...

...and Ben Bostrom back in the states and back on a Honda. What's up with that? I know Ben has not had a stellar year, but 5th in points is not bad. But hey, if he got a great contract ($$$$) and doesn't have to be in Europe getting ran over by boats, what the hey, why not.

What I really want to know is where is Eric Bostrom going? Anyone know?

This silly season stuff is almost as fun as watching them race!

·
Registered
10 Posts
First I have nothing but respect for Nicky and his riding ability, he is good to the fans, and he has good work ethic, but i do not see him being competitive any time soon. AMA superbike is not even on the same planet as moto GP. All new tracks, new bike, new crew, and the little things like trying to order dinner in a different language are going to be to much. He should spend at least one year in 250 GP and learn the tracks and countries with less pressure, and then move on to the top class.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Go Nicky!!!!!!!!

Nicky in GP...

...and Ben Bostrom back in the states and back on a Honda. What's up with that? I know Ben has not had a stellar year, but 5th in points is not bad. But hey, if he got a great contract ($$$$) and doesn't have to be in Europe getting ran over by boats, what the hey, why not.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Go Nicky!!!!!!!!

Nicky in GP...

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
>>He should spend at least one year in 250 GP and learn the tracks and countries with less pressure, and then move on to the top class<<

That is certainly a valid point of view; however, I am not so sure that 250 is still the best training for the new 4-stroke GP1 bikes. Rossi has suggested that he had to unlearn a lot of things, and I think that has been part of Biaggi's problem earlier this season (Checa, who also rides an R-1 seemed to outshine him early in the season, which is probably why Biaggi is not with Yamaha for next year). I guess we all willjust have to wait and see.

·
Registered
57 Posts
John Hopkins seemed to do very well and he went from AMA to a 500 2-stroke. Nicky's a better rider than Hopper and has more experience. Give Hayden a year to learn the tracks and we'll see him knocking elbows with Rossi.

·
Registered
19 Posts
maybe a year or 2 in WSB might be better. different tracks, but higher level of competition than here on a bike that's familiar. eric bostrom did pretty well in a few WSB races this year and he's on an uncompetitive bike so nicky should be competitive there. still, i bet by the end of the season he makes the box.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Nicky absolutely should not spend a year on 2 stroke 250's. He is already riding an RC51. WSB times and Moto-GP times are getting remarkably close to each other.

He may need a year to sort out tracks, and to make sure he has a team, and engineers he can work with, after that ~ watch out!

This is going to get as exciting as WSB is at this very moment. Kato, Rossi, Hayden, Edwards on a Duc maybe!? I can hardly wait!

My only question is where will WSB be going, with these two series getting so close in weight specification, and lap times?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
>>WSB times and Moto-GP times are getting remarkably close to each other<<

Amazing, ain't it. You would think with the much more free reign designers have in GP1, they would be a long way ahead of street-based (I know that is somewhat of a stretch) WSB bikes.

Has anyone heard anything lately about Hondas plans for 2003 WSB? If they pull out or scale back, WSB will be kinda lame next year. Good thing GP is shaping up to be a dogfight.

Also, has anyone seen a comfirmation of Colin's 2003 plans? I know everyone says he will ride for Ducati, but I have not seen anything definitive, or confirmation of whether this is in WSB or GP1.

Personally, given Honda/Edwards' new-found competitiveness, I'd like to see Colin remain with Honda to fight it out with Ducati next year -- otherwise it will be a Ducati parade, which is too much for even a huge Ducati fan like myself to get very enthusiastic about. I suppose it is too late for than, but then, everybody was sure Nicky was going with Yamaha, so maybe there is still a glimmer.......

·
Registered
74 Posts
There is potential for these two series to become very different from one and other, and still be very interesting in both cases.

Moto-Gp could head in the direction of the F1 automobiles, and become very, very big budget with items like pneumatic valves, traction control, computer managed clutches & gearboxes, active suspension, etc... It will still take cream of the crop riders to win it, but the manufacturers could really push the envelope.

WSB could remain essentially the cream of the spec series racers, and become on a world basis the last stop for top talent before Moto-Gp

Cart had a similar relationship to F1, before IRL , (and Cart itself)

in many ways killed the Cart series. Both F1 and Cart could be thrilling to watch. Cart was technically challenging to the manufacturers even though it was a spec series. I certainly hope it turns out that way!

My other bit of wishful dreaming is for U.S. racing even tho they have separate RR & dirt track series champions, to go back to 1 over all grand national champion ~ that's how to really make competant racers!

·
Registered
730 Posts
Checa can win a street race on a Bulldog

Crasher Carlos's primary street bike is now a Yamaha Bulldog. He got rid of his R1. Makes you smile, doesn't it?

--Foxy

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.