Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gee, I wonder how many of those failed dot.com companies begged its "customers" for donations like MO does?

Since things are going so well for you guys now can you please remove the banner ads asking everyone to give money?

·
Registered
104 Posts
I wish

I wish they didn't have profanity filters here. You freeloading waste of space, guess what, bandwidth costs money, equipment costs money, bike reviews cost money, employees cost money, all so you can come read about it for free? Go take some coffee from home to Barnes and Noble and get bread crumbs in all the magazines like the fools I see there.

Cheap bum

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: I wish

Suck my ass. I subscribe to many motorcycle pubs, all of which, in my opinion, do a better job at testing bikes than MO.

There are many other online sources for motorcyle information, NONE of them beg for money. Also, see all those little banner ads flashing about -- THAT is how they pay their bills, selling advertising. You really don't think that the few dollars people are tossing their way is really paying the bills?

Lastly, it was MO themselves touting how well they were doing in light of the fact that many web-based companies were going out of business. Companies that are doing well don't need to panhandle for pennies.

·
Registered
64 Posts

I really like the Barnes and Noble comment. I agree, it costs money to run a company like this, it's not free. And just because they are doing good doesnt mean their costs have gone to zero.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I agree and don't mind paying for a product as good

as this. However, you can expect the kind of response from above when you live a country where being stupid can make you a millionaire and the majority of Americans are looking for something for nothing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

MO doesn't do as well testing bikes as any of the many motorcycle pubs to which I subscribe. Why should I pay for an inferior product? There are many online motorcycle news sources from which a person can get the same info that MO provides, yet NONE of them panhandle for pennies.

It was MO who declared how well they were doing in light of the many web-based companies which had failed. They are doing well because of those little flashing banner ads you see all over the place. Do you really think the money they receive from begging its readers is paying the bills?? Please....

You are the supreme example of whom PT Barnum was referring when he said "There's a sucker born every minute."

·
Registered
166 Posts
Re: So, don

Whats wrong with readers cheques?!? Have you ever complained about purchasing a newspaper, a magazine (97% ads by the way) or any other piece of information??? I'm a cheap sob and probably shouldn't be posting cuz I haven't donated... but I can post so I will. But I WON"T be complaining about any requests for cash. If ya don't like it, go away.

Hmm, where's my cheque book...

·
Registered
160 Posts
Re: So, don

If our articles were any more "edgy" or controversial, I doubt we'd be getting as many (or any) testbikes.

This is the US, the country as a whole -- not just the motorcycle OEMs -- are much more uptight than the UK. And until the day when we're 100% reader supported and buying bikes we need, we can't write things like they get away with in the UK, or show nudity with the bikes.

Then again, we don't have tiered licensing schemes and, for now at least, gas is (relatively) cheap.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Uhhh..I tought this conversation is over...

I guess I missed a lot here since I wasn't around for a while.

Americans serve their Budweiser chilled ( which is not even theirs...), and as we all know Budweiser is not even considered as a beer.

Minime, I hope your girlfriend didn't read your comment about her...

Anyway, living in Europe is better, but here you live on the "land of free"...which is good. Or not.

Oh...and donate! That's important. Remember...this is still our site. I hope.

·
Registered
46 Posts

One of my favorite daily stops, DailyRadar.com, closed its doors forever yesterday. Everything appeared to be running smoothly and then BOOM they were gone.

At least MO is searching for a way to not let that happen before going belly up all of a sudden. In light of what's happened recently, I can understand MO's donations thing much easier.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Kozmo

My sponsor, SF Moto&Scooter, was servicing Kozmo.com's fleet of scooters when they declared chapter 11. Now they will mechanic's lien 22 or so of these chinese orange POS's.

Here in San Francisco, the sound of dying dot-coms has been almost audible. Office space is appearing all over, mountains of computer equipment appear by the side of the road, and the last day of the month sees moving vans in the residential neighborhoods.

Bu they fooled us all pretty good, huh? I lost four or five grand in "safe" mutual funds, and I know plenty of other folks who lost much more.

I mean, my God, Kozmo had no money-making component AT ALL! They were just building their "brand recognition."

So where did the money go? "Seared Ahi tuna and cells phones" is what my friend Ian said, and I am inclined to agree, with the addition of cheap orange scooters. Let's hope we're a little more suspicious the next time we're sold the "next big thing."

·
Registered
32 Posts
I wonder how many places have to put up with freaking whiners. They did not force donations, they asked. The ones that could afford it and value the site donated, and the ones who chose not too did not. I have used this analogy before, but ALL OF US probably piss away 2 bucks per day on BS (coffee, pop, cigs,etc.). Why not throw $10.00 at MO..? Worthy of it, good guys, nice site. WTF is the problem? the DOT com world has been built on expectation of profit. They are now facing the reality that they need to produce. This is just a weed out period. Hopefully good sites will not perish ( this one, but too bad about Radar)..I have pulled so much useful stuff off the web for free that if I have to toss in once in awhile, I will, and will be happy about it. Remember, the web, IMHO, is the single most important thing to happen to communications since the telephone or radio. Ride the wave, and enjoy. Support the good guys...And stop the whining....

·
Registered
15 Posts

I sell a lot of those magazines and newspapers to B&N and Borders.

They dont care if anyone buys them or not.Because each and every one on the shelf sells several $3.00 coffees and a few over priced muffins.

Way more profit than they could make off the publication.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.