Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
I made note that I had noticed that the TT had been droped from Speed this year on another thread commenting that I felt the presentation left something to be desired showing the same camera shots and featuring the same top few riders year after year. And NEVER any crashes though given the death toll over the years I am not surprised they tend to downplay the high level of danger in competing in this event. No less an expert than John Surtees has called for a revision of the course to make it less dangerous. I would think a massed start on a much shortened course as was used in the past for smaller machines; a maximun of 600cc or less, and perhaps limiting the enteries to bonafide racers might make the event more TV friendly. Geoff Duke wanted to construct a purpose built track when the race was dropped from the calender but there was always the question of accessibility of the island to the type of crowds that would make it pay. Guess the event will be consigned to the history books like Assen as the last of the "real" race courses. Opps, forgot Leguna. Still a great track. I can't imagine what it must be to watch a race like the MotoGP at one of the new F1 tracks in Arabia or the Far East.

·
Registered
328 Posts
You forgot their new reality chopper show or whatever the h^%$ it's supposed to be...

It's funny but since Fox bought the network and started the changes, it seems like my college degree bearng, upper middle class pals and I watch less and less of it. Are you listening, Mr. Nielsen?

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
I don't know about you guys, but I am starting to plan for a return visit to IOM for the 2007 TT right now. I went in 1989, and it was fantastic. If you have never been there, it is one event you should visit before you die.

As far as the Speed Channel comments go, does any of that surprise anybody?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Lord,

You'd think with as many channels as are available on TV/cable/sat/etc. that even as small a group as US road race and real road race fans could get in-depth coverage, but apparently that is not the case.

Too bad, as motorcycle racing is WAY more viscerally exciting than NASCAR or F1 has EVER been (and I base that on the reaction I get from my son's GenX friends who are TRANSFIXED by my Duke videos of the BSB championships, MotoGP and the like -- including One Man's Island, Faster! and the like).

·
Registered
17 Posts
I went to the Isle of Man last year. I've been to a fair few big motorcycle events in my time including WSBK at Laguna Seca, USSBK at Pikes Peak, Easter races at Bathurst, Australia, Sturgis and numerous other rallys and the IOM was easily the best motorcycle experience of them all. Riding the circuit was an insane blast and I do mean "insane" in a part-literal sense!. Definitely go if you haven't been, preferably on a bike from the UK. The ferry crossing with a load of bikers is an experience in itself. The Europeans are motorcycle-nuts like no one else… I loved it! What a bloody shame if the event dies with the help of FOX.

Register your protest to SPEED here http://www.speedtv.com/feedback/

That bloody Rupert Murdoch sure has a lot to answer for...

·
Registered
579 Posts
F you Nancy Boy.

NASCAR rocks. Does the fact that NASCAR rocks make motorcycle racing rock any less? No. It doesn't, you snot-nosed little elitist.

Of course... everyone who likes something that you don't like must be stupid. What are you? 10?

You redefine MOron.

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
The OLN channel started off with a pretty fair share of bike related coverage. Now, every time I flip over to it, some guy is strapped to a 2000lb. bull. That's not quite true, once in a while, you get to see a buck being shot from 300 yards.....Great stuff...

When I consider rodeo, bowling, shooting, rockclimbing, poker, fishing, Dr. Phil, cops and I'm running out of ribbon. I began to wonder if I'm the one out of touch with entertainment or does motorcycling really suck and no one has told me.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I have to admit that NASCAR sure is a spectacle. I love the light show they put on after an accident. Contrast that to IRL where one lowly tow Truck with an EMT on board handles every wreck.. NASCAR, like Fox News is a red state thing trust me Jethro. That is why Speed sucks now..to the rest of us non-hillbilly intellectuals..

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the real story.

(whispering): this is really hunting...with my high powered rifle and expensive scope this buck really has a chance...a chance to be mounted in my living room....

(BANG!!!! (sound of gunfire))

(Shouting): woohooo!!!!!! YEEAAHHH!

cut scene......

(holding head of buck whispering): what a beautiful animal now that it has a whole in it and isn't moving....

(voice of the cameraman): good job mike you just saved a biker

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Gotta love NASCAR. NASCAR is a microcosm of American society - everybody running around and around in circles as fast as they can and, in the end, winding up right where they started.

Thank God they at least quit saying the words "stock car".

Now if we could just bring back some of the old requirements. Like that all the drivers have to run 'shine for a living during the week.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Careful!

With the flood of British sitcoms and other programming that make it over the pond, it's only a matter of time until cricket and darts coverage makes it.

And lemme tell you. When the cricket "tests" are on, it's enough to make you run screaming. For starters, one game can last a week!

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
NASCAR just surpassed both football and baseball as THE top grossing money maker in the USA. So you can F&ck NASCAR all you want, but if you think motorcycle racing will be shown much anymore, well.....NASCAR just F&cked YOU.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.