Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looked at the '08s on H-D's website. Looks like the Springers are no more. That's a shame, they're pretty cool.

Very disappointed to see the 883R Sportster gone, too. Good looking bike. If I had the cabbage I'd have gotten one.

The Rocker is absurd.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are nicer bikes I can pretend I'll buy before I pretend to buy that one.
I could make that my sig. The good thing is, pretend bikes cost nothing, and you lose nothing on the every-three-months trade-in.

My pretend garage currently contains a Buell XB12R (or XB9R, I can't decide), an 883R Sportster, and a Ducati GT1000. In three months it will probably be different.

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
You gotta be sh*ttin' me, what are those supposed to be? That's got to be the ugliest looking Harley I've ever seen. Two bottles of La Fin Du Monde don't make them look good. Since everyone's entitled to my opinion I'll give you sarnali's picks:

XL1200N...probably the nicest looking Sporty I've ever seen

Superglide Custom, StreetBob and Wide Glide: ...That's what they're supposed to look like

The Night Train ...Looks pretty cool for a Softtail

Road Glide.....Best freeway touring bike going

The rest of them, ugh ! and no Street Rod?

I hate to admit it but I miss the days when Harleys were FLH's, Superglides or Sportsters. I'm afraid "the motor company" just don't do it for me anymore, sod 'em

·
Registered
10,901 Posts
Just looked at the '08s on H-D's website. Looks like the Springers are no more. That's a shame, they're pretty cool.

Very disappointed to see the 883R Sportster gone, too. Good looking bike. If I had the cabbage I'd have gotten one.

The Rocker is absurd.
Check out the CVO line and you will find a Springer with 110 cubes.

·
Snuggles
4,369 Posts
Well isn't that just a bunch of bullsh!t. Why hop up a Springer? They weren't made for performance (well, even less so than most cruisers). Now I have to pretend to cough up 25 grand to pretend to own this?!

I thought the entire point of the Springer was the old school look. Why mess it up with glittery crap and expensive performance mods. It's the one bike that is SUPPOSE to go slow and handle poorly, damnit!

And that's how I liked it.

·
Registered
11,483 Posts
Well isn't that just a bunch of bullsh!t. Why hop up a Springer? They weren't made for performance (well, even less so than most cruisers). Now I have to pretend to cough up 25 grand to pretend to own this?!

I thought the entire point of the Springer was the old school look. Why mess it up with glittery crap and expensive performance mods. It's the one bike that is SUPPOSE to go slow and handle poorly, damnit!

And that's how I liked it.
Just pretend to eat Ramen Noodles for the next ten years, an' shaddup about it.............:roll:

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
I had a 6 over springer on my Shovel for awhile, it worked OK until I greased the pivot points on the rockers. Then it turned into a F***n' pogo stick. Turns out the rust and 40 year old dried grease was what was providing the damping. I had a 21 in. Avon spool hub on it and on freeway expansion joints you could see the wheel oscillate and skip off the street, the answaer of course was more throttle..LOL

·
Registered
11,483 Posts
on freeway expansion joints you could see the wheel oscillate and skip off the street, the answaer of course was more throttle..LOL
When in Doubt; Gas It! Either way, it Ends the Suspense........

·
Snuggles
4,369 Posts
Listen, I already have to pretend I'm good looking, important, and smart. I also have to pretend I have a garage full of bikes AND pretend I'm a good rider.

My imagination is running at maximum capacity over here. No room for pretend Top Ramen.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
For all you guys that long for a springer and a bike that harkens back to the 'good old days', I have the old Knuck hardtail springer you can come ride. It's a kickstart too, so that when it's about 90 out and you kick the SOB about 50 times to get it started, you will really appreciate actually being able to move forward so the sweat pouring off your head doesn't get in your eyes!

·
The Toad
17,451 Posts
Keep at it, Bro.

For all you guys that long for a springer and a bike that harkens back to the 'good old days', I have the old Knuck hardtail springer you can come ride. It's a kickstart too, so that when it's about 90 out and you kick the SOB about 50 times to get it started, you will really appreciate actually being able to move forward so the sweat pouring off your head doesn't get in your eyes!
You're just out of practice. After about 50 more startups you'll have the starting drill for a knuck down pat and it'll only take about 25 kicks.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
That manual advance was the undoing of the '64 we restored and won the Trophy at the Rat's Hole Chopper Show back in whenever the heck it was.

The engine and tranny had NEVER been disassembled, so we decided to rinse out the tranny with mineral spirits, and then take the old rig out and ride it.

Anyway, my buddy (the owner and financial backer of the restoration) sold it at auction to "some old, fat [email protected]" in Orlando to help finance home-building. The OFB went out drinking one afternoon, and then took off up I-4. But not far. Apparently, he forgot to advance the timing, and turned the motor into a large ingot.

LongRide, that bike started with 1 kick. Sometimes two, if it had been a while. He'd idle that bike so low it would start to bounce up and down.

I'm starting to water up, just thinkin' about it...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.