Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It makes no sense to me either. Even the fancy cast aluminum jobs ought to be slightly adjustable for height with strategically placed spacers, and a bit of room in the fairing for that sort of thing. How much can it cost to have the wiring and stuff 3 inches longer?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Sitting on a bike in a showroom is one thing.

Being comfortable around the city, and on the highway is another. Test ride your three or four top choices and go from there. There are aftermarket seats and bar risers so you can change the ergos within limits on many bikes.

It's a tough, but fun decision...

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
Zenboy, how about giving your measurements so there is a baseline of what bikes will or won't fit. I bet somebody here is your size and sitting on a bike that fits great.

Many seat manufacturers (corbin, sargent,mustang,etc) seat's will alter the seat/peg relationship due to foam thickness.

Heli and cycle cat also make bar risers.

Now that I got through all that. If you "feel" good on the R1150R, go get one. You can find '04's w/abs for under $10k and w/o abs for under $9k.

Best of Luck.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would like to point to MO's article a few weeks back about buying a bike. Have you established what type of riding you'll be doing? Clearly, a 999 is not a realistic option for the criteria you briefly listed, but you can persue sport-touring, standard, cruiser, etc.

Many bikes can have their bars swapped for different rakes, heights, widths, etc, just as you can with bicycles. Even if you're interested in a sport bike, you can often find more comfortable clip-on's (Helibars) to bring the grips up and farther back. Similarly, Sargent Cycle and Corbin both offer an impressive selection of more comfy seats for many popular models.

Also, just yesterday I was discussing with a friend how some body types just match a certain bike better than others. My friend, for example, finds my Mille very comfortable for a sport bike, while I experienced lower back pain for a week and a half until my body adjusted to the sport bike I just transitioned from.

Good luck.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Please correct me if I am wrong, but it sounds like you don't even know how to ride a moto yet. So if that's the case, howse 'bout learnin how to do that first. MSF or some other training. I think Buell offers courses that you can take on one of their Blast's.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I got the same impression as sliphorn. Zenboy, if you're looking for either a 1st bike or a bike after many years w/o one, you're looking at the wrong end of the moto food chain and are well on your way to being another baby boomer statistic.

Please get something light and tame (Ninja 250 comes to mind), ride it until you're competent, and then get one of the bikes that cause such lust in middle aged men..... Life's too short to be dead.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
I've ridden bicycles for years also. For me, the most comfortable bicycle in the world is much worse than the most uncomfortable motorcycle. I've ridden many motorcycles, and none of them are THAT bad. Plus, there is a world of difference between sitting on a bike in a showroom and riding it for any distance. If nothing works for you, the standard advice around here is "Go to the gym." That has been know to fix every problem with every bike known to mankind. Suffer like a man??? Ashley was that you??

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I also think you're a bit ahead of yourself. I'm not sure you can reasonably determine which motorcycle is comfortable and which is not without some riding experience. Sitting on a bike only tells part of the story.

Some of the impression that motorcycles are uncomfortable is probably due to you not being accustomed to being on one. With some riding time, you might discover that what you thought was uncomfortable actually isn't and vice versa.

That being said, OEM seats on many bikes are notoriously crappy. But there usually are aftermarket solutions available by makers like Corbin and Sargent, etc. Bars are a little tougher, but there are quite a few risers available for clip-on types and if you've got a standard, it's fairly easy to swap tubular bars out for another set.

Obligatory starter bike advice: Start smaller and get a standard. Get some training and be smart.

Good luck and welcome to riding.

·
Registered
34 Posts
You did not say where you live, but Rich's custom seats www.richscustomseats.com in Seattle will make your existing seat match your own posture (and adds things like gel pads etc). Had it done on my VFR after back surgery and the the difference was amazing. Even custom was less that a Corbin or Sargent as it used my existing seat as a starting point.

Grif

·
Registered
4 Posts
My wife and I started riding a few years ago and I had the same problem. I wasn’t able to ride for more than ½ an hr without a major pain in the butt. My wife had little sympathy; she rides a 91 Honda Night Hawk with no mods and can ride all day and not complain. I tried some of those gel cushioned bicycle shorts. They added maybe 5 min. I spent some money on a Corbin seat for my old Katana. It takes about 1,000 mi before it breaks in (or my butt finally broke in). Now I can ride 1 ½ to 2 hours before my rear-end starts going numb. Now I have a brand new Triumph Sprint, it's comfy around town but I haven't had a chance to take it on a long trip yet. For the ergos in general find the bike that fits you best then build up to longer rides. I think it takes some time to develop the strength and flexibility in your motorcycle muscles. Remember when it starts to hurt take a break.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Zenboy:

In general I find that no bike precisely fits me, so I end up modifying it to fit. Unfortunately bike salesmen usually know very little about how to change a bike to fit you. Many resources can help, from the special seat options at companies like Corbin, Sargent, etc.; to the guys from Helibars and others who can change out your handlebars. The Ducati ST3 even has bars that can be adjusted.

The MOrons have given you some good feedback, since they have years of experience doing what works to make a good bike fit better.

Decide on the riding position you favor, the focus on that type of bike. From your choice of the R1150R, I would say you're looking at what most people call "standard, upright riding position." Lots of bikes fit this decription. You may want to look at the Suzuki DL650, a Ducati Multistrada, a Honda 599, etc.

You may also find that what works in the showroom won't work on the street. Cruisers feel great to me on the showroom floor, but I can't ride one any distance. The VFR feels too leaned over on the showroom floor, but gives me day long comfort in the saddle. (I also had the seat lowered about 1.5 inches at the local upholstery shop.) If I had wanted to be more upright, Heli makes a great kit for the VFR.

It may take you a while to find out what works best. Then again, the R1150R has tremendous aftermarket support.

Francis

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for all the comments. I'm starting the MSF course next week. Planning to take their advanced course later and way down the road go to Keith Code's school and after that some track days. It's hard for someone with little experience to know what they'll get used to and what will drive them off the bike, although I've read the blog of an experienced rider that says his Duc 999 has brought him extreme pain and extreme joy, so that tells me a lot about what I'm in for. I'm 5-10, 32" inseam 31" sleeve. I know for sure I won't be getting anything like a crotch rocket both for lack of comfort and riding skill. I've noticed Helibars, Corbin and Sargent mentioned a lot and will look into them. I'm planning to check out a lot of bikes including the SV650 and Multistrada, stuff that is fun but won't launch me into my next lifetime if I sneeze.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.