Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Not necessarily. People are very ingenious when having to move lots o' stuff over long distances. If you had to move a lot of stuff a long way, and all you had was a moped or a bicycle, I'll bet you'd find a way to get it done. I saw a guy in Korea deliver a refrigerator, about the same size as the one on the bicycle, up an icy hill, with the fridge strapped to his back and a support strap around his forehead, on a smokin' moped. He got to the top of the hill, dismounted, and took the thing up three flights of stairs! Once, I saw five people on a Vespa in Italy too. I believe all of those photos are possible.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I agree completely with speedee - I didn't think any of those were faked at all. I've not been in Asia but in Mexico people carry some very interesting loads on little bikes.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Oh yeah, you do see stuff like this in Asia. My favorites were the Lambretta three wheelers that had staked flatbeds and would be careening down the road full of people including people hanging on the sides...... blue smoke everywhere.

There's a picture of one of the variants on the bottom of this page.

BTW, is that Buz carrying the wine?

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
I believe all those are true. People do what they have to do with what they have. This is the reason that Honda 50's and 90's pretty well rule in third world countries, They can do anything and are basically indstructable.

The one that cracked me up is the guy with the big Skate one the back. In that heat I'd bet you could smell him a mile away. Probably eat for a month off that one.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
To think I was fairly impressed with the guy packing 5 cases on the tank of a K75.

I've worked with some people from 3rd World Countries before. It's remarkable how ingenious people are when you can't just go to the store to get "something", for whatever reason. Mcgyver would be shamed.

·
Registered
10,903 Posts
My grandfather grew up on a farm in South Dakota.

Many years later, living in SoCal, I see him in his garage pulling old nails out of some wood and pounding them straight on an anvil.

Gotta re-use those nails ya know!

·
Registered
956 Posts
Reminds me of my dad.My dad was a depression kid. Totally different outlook on life. Many of his peers were similiar. It's a pity that generation is almost gone. It was a "Great" one.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I lived in Korea for 4 years, two in the 80's and two recently. I've seen plenty of motorcycles loaded just as crazy as these. Some of them are set up to haul sheet glass. Some places over there the passageways between the houses are too narrow for a car or truck. thats why the post office and most of the delivery services use bicycles or motorcycles (also a lot of scooters these days). Pizza Hut and Dominoes use scooters with insulated top boxes. I saw a motorcycle once carrying like six 100 lb. propane cylinders on the rear rack. Also they put custom racks on the bikes to suit whatever they are hauling. I seen another motorcycle over there that had two sets of forks siamesed together to increase load capacity. A lot of home-spun trike conversions, too. Most of the motorcycles I saw over there were 250cc and under. Mostly step-throughs. Did I ramble on enough?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey, I grew up in South Dakota too, and I still re-use them nails, ya know? It must've been something in the water, or else it was those looooong, coooooold winters with nuttin better to do.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
I used to try to reuse nails and screws but I can never find the ones I saved until I go and buy new ones. So what's the point?

I know my father-in-law saved nails because when we cleaned out his estate we found a big box of old square rusty iron nails. I didn't think he was that old.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, guys, great pix. I think they're true, too, but still incredible. That guy crossing a river on a rope with his bicycle is a real study in determination, as they all probably are. Some of the pix are from the book "Beast of Burden", referring to the Honda Cub. I wish the author had included a little how-to cause I still can't find a decent way to pack camping supplies on a sportbike (so I just stay in motels). Ron

·
Registered
80 Posts
I just returned from Vietnam, and I'm astounded by what those people regularly do with a 110cc scooter. I saw a guy hauling a small refrigerator on one - new, in-box. I witnessed something at least as stupendous every single day of my trip.

I used to think these kinds of pics were funny, but now I understand that this is how most of the world lives. I appreciate what I have much, much more. I deeply admire those who have so little and yet conduct their day with a smile for their fellow man, even a fat, privileged westerner like me.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.