Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to find parts to fix a bike, for the past couple of months. And I thought I would try a forum and thinking maybe get a little help with a project bike. Bikes are new to me, so I took this as a challenge. I got the bike running and it ran great until the coil went out. I've been trying until I'm at wits end to find a coil that will work. I work in a metal fabrication shop as a parts cutter and I believe I can engineer a mount for almost anything. I just wanted some advice to see what would work and that would have been appreciated. Good bye.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
Better than Dumb-ass Answers?

You're not the only person ever to do a bit of fabrication. Or to have trouble finding parts for something.

I gave you a suggestion, if the part isn't available - IT ISN'T AVAILABLE - this is no fault of ours.

When faced with adversity, often one must Adapt and Overcome. Or lie-down and die.

Your choice.

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
" A coil for A bike" isn't going to get you anywhere. you need a specific make model and year before you can get anywhere near what you need then most likely JC Whitney or Bike Bandit or a salvadge yard might have one.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Better than Dumb-ass Answers?

You're not the only person ever to do a bit of fabrication. Or to have trouble finding parts for something.

I gave you a suggestion, if the part isn't available - IT ISN'T AVAILABLE - this is no fault of ours.

When faced with adversity, often one must Adapt and Overcome. Or lie-down and die.

Your choice.
Cripes, it's not like anyone was insulting. Who the heck do people think they are these days? I don't think I've seen so much arrogance from people in my life as some of these guys who contribute nothing, demand free help and then get all p!ssy because they don't get treated like kings on a FREE SITE!

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Jeez, I missed the whole thing!

He sounds a little bit touchy, though.

And, just to set the record straight- "Independence" was hull number 62.

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
dumb sh*t

Jeez, I missed the whole thing!

He sounds a little bit touchy, though.

And, just to set the record straight- "Independence" was hull number 62.
Probably wasn't even on there......

Well, maybe an Airdale...

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
CVA62, my shop was on the 03 level, all the way aft in the round down port side. Compartment was five bulkheads up, right across the passageway from the big head. We'd sneak down to the MM spaces looking for hot water around 2300, luxuirate in JP5 free hot water for 10 minutes...Ah, bliss. Then there was the Bug Juice that had real bugs. Was it just me or did the Indy have a roach problem?

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
B Div. was all the way aft on the 2nd deck under the jet shop. Directly above M Div. berthing. It was handy because you just walked forward and there was the mess decks, then forward again to 4 main. We usually worked 8 & 8 or 12 & 12 so we'd stuff a couple of mystery meat and hot sauce sandwiches in our mean greens on the way past and head down the hole. We pretty well lived on mystery meat & hot sauce sandwiches, coffee and cigerettes at sea.

The Nav was so short of BT's that most of the time at sea I stood watch instead of doing maintenance. Once I made it to Console Board Operator it wasn't too bad because you stayed in the control room and didn't have to be in the space, only to go pee in the funnel for the waste oil tank...

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
Mea culpa. I saw Sachi's answer and just kind of started kicking him in the gut while she was kicking his head. I did leave a link to a Google search filled with sources for Honda coils...but I guess the damage was already done.

I'm sorry, Independance 76. Please come back. Please. Think of the kids.

Oh, by the way, try this link. Here's a guy with a lot of excellent facts and information on getting your bike running like a top:

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
6SB, don't get used to it.

One of the forum ogre's are bound to come out from under the bridge sooner or later...

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
>I've been trying until I'm at wits end to find a coil
>that will work.

Coils rarely go. Unfortunately you fail to mention which bike you talk about (you scum sucking pig) but if multi-cylinder try cross wiring i.e. in twin left cylinder wires to right coil and vice versa. Suddenly the dead cylider fires and the live one not? No? I didn't think so either. Life is a poem.

- cruiz-euro

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
>I've been trying until I'm at wits end to find a coil
>that will work.

Coils rarely go. Unfortunately you fail to mention which bike you talk about (you scum sucking pig) but if multi-cylinder try cross wiring i.e. in twin left cylinder wires to right coil and vice versa. Suddenly the dead cylider fires and the live one not? No? I didn't think so either. Life is a poem.

- cruiz-euro
In a previous thread, he mentioned it is a '76 Honda XL250.

I think most of his frustration stems from the fact nobody just popped-in and said:

"Ah, yeah - the chrono-synclastic coil from a 1959 Kamikaze Infundibula 1500 will slot right on there - no need for for a left-hand reversing-spanner or even a rubdown with Preparation 'H'................."

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
Actually...

In a previous thread, he mentioned it is a '76 Honda XL250.

I think most of his frustration stems from the fact nobody just popped-in and said:

"Ah, yeah - the chrono-synclastic coil from a 1959 Kamikaze Infundibula 1500 will slot right on there - no need for for a left-hand reversing-spanner or even a rubdown with Preparation 'H'................."
a rubdown with Preperation H is a good idea before you buy any parts for a Japanese bike..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.