Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
stock pipes are 80 dba, leave your pipes stock or get quiet aftermarket pipes. I do wonder where they get the yay-hoo's for comentary ..." You don't see no airplane on that sign"............

makes us all look so clever.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Well, it looks like the ordinance is having the intended effect. What's the big deal?

I don't get it. Motorcycles have been subject to ticketting for open pipes about as long as I can remember. Why, all of a sudden, is there this special class of Dragpipe/Racecan riders that think they can wake every sleeping baby within a 2 block radius? Don't they have any manners? I guess not.

So a few pi$$ed off GPTBs gotta make a national stink about it. Just grow up. Good manners pay dividends at little cost. Being polite doesn't mean giving up your rights. Just use a little consideration.

I got ticketed for having open pipes on my old W2650 back in '72 before there was much in the way of noise controls... and none by the Fed. It's called disturbing the peace. If you want to make a bunch of noise then do what target shooters do. You go out in the middle of nowhere and blow your eardrums out to your heart's content. Their your ears. I don't care if you wreck 'em.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Loud pipes can save lives.

Ridiculously loud pipes are just that- ridiculous. As long as the noise level can be controlled by a rider, there is nothing wrong with pipes that can be loud, and they can save lives. I have to ride through a a nature preserve at dusk to get home from work. I often see deer standing off the side of the road. When I do, I slow down, pull in the clutch, and give it some throttle. Scares the sh!t out of the deer from some distance. They run off instead of jumping out in front of me as I get close. My pipes are after market, not much louder than stock, and only get really loud when I'm really on the gas, but they can get really loud if I want them to.

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
Excellent Point seriously... well said..

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
Re: Loud pipes can save lives.

What is wrong with your horn?

·
Registered
21 Posts

Horn works. The deer just aren't scared of it. They're scared of the sound of the motor being revved, though. I'm not some idiot that rides my bike revved up in a low gear going through town trying to be noticed by people. I just blip the throttle real good to scare the deer. Not much scares them. This nature preserve is in a built up area on the outskirts of Houston. It shares a border with the Johnson Space Center, so the deer are used to hearing T-38s, F-16s, and God knows what else. They ain't afraid of no measley little motorcycle horn. They're not afraid of a car horn. My bike is a Triumph Sprint ST with an aftermarket can. Not too loud, no one's ever complained. I am very careful to keep it quiet in residential areas. I've asked my neighbors and they've said its doesn't bother them. I just want to scare the deer.

On the subject of loud bikes and consideration of others, there was a bike rally in Galveston a few weeks ago. My family and I were on the way somewhere and stopped for gas. The baby was sound asleep. There were tons of folks on bikes filling up as well. I couldn't believe how loud some of those bikes were. Much louder than the Primus concert I recently saw. Needless to say, they woke up the baby. It got my wife mad, the clerks and other patrons in the station were complaining. All because a bunch of fat old men on their Harleys and Boss Hoss's.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I believe in "Walking softly and carrying a big stick" in the form of stock pipes and DUAL AIR HORNS. Used these babies several times; amazing how the "drifters" into my lane bolt awake and dodge back into their lanes.

·
Registered
352 Posts

A louder horn that would scare the deer is probably cheaper than aftermarket exaust though.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Reminds me of a certain escapade about 15 years earlier.

Yes, I was young, dumb, and too poor to afford new mufflers. And I got ticketed for "excessive noise in a residential area".

I happily paid the fine.

Hopefully the statute of limitations has expired by now.

I had no license.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I live a stone's throw from Carefree, and this area is absolutely poser-heaven. At least 90% of the bikes are Harleys or customs, and most of them have after-market pipes. They're always out with their identically-dressed, individualists buds, for that long, lonesome 14-mile ride up to one of a handful of bars. Some of these guys are riding 50, maybe 60 miles a month.

This brouhaha reminds me of the South Park about little league, where Stan's dad would get drunk, start fights, and get dragged away from every game in his underwear yelling "Excuse me, I thought this was AMERICA" to the police.

I'm with Carefree on this one. There's nothing reasonable about the way the posers behave. It's gone way past that.

Cars and trucks would get ticketed too if they roared thru town with staight pipes. Especially if they did it by the hundreds 12 hours a day, 364.25 days a year.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
Re: I'll second that

If you persist in shattering the peace with loud pipes -- much like the low-man on the Prison Pecking Order -- eventually The Citizens will get used to the severe thumping they have to endure..........

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
I don't see what Carefree is Biotchin' about - the Poseurs are givin' 'em Xmas mornin' off..........

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.