Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,

i was wondering if someone can provide any helpfull instructions on how to change the oil and the filter on a 2005 v-star 650. I had done an oil change with a honda before, but the yamaha seems a bit more complicated. When i opened the oil cup on top of the engine compartment, it did not even have an indicator to check if additional oil is needed.

I would like to learn to do the oil change myself, and any instructions or help is much appreciated.

Also, if someone knows the type of oil to purchase that would be great as well.

thanks in advance!

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Manual Labor

Hmmm...oil change on a Yamaha...let's see...a Yamaha V-Star...hmmm...well I'D SAY BUY A FREEKING MANUAL FOR THE BIKE AND LOOK IN THE MAINTENANCE SECTION UNDER 'HOW TO CHANGE THE OIL"..Barring that there's a little 16mm bolt at the bottom of the engine case that if you un-screw all the oil will squirt out into a recepticle of some sort hopefully. As for the philter, you're on your own. MANUAL MANUAL MANUAL.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
What oil to purchase -- Hmm, I'd say Castrol R. :)

Of course, with that oil y ou have to flush out all the dino oil and use nothing but Castrol R for the rest of the bike's life.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
Oil Changos? We don' need no steen-keen oil changos!

(you might look for an "alternate" oil dip-stick, or a sightglass on the side of the crankcase. Or look in your Owner's Manual for the proper procedure to determine how much oil and what type the engine requires)

(What? No Owner's Manual? See https://www.starmotorcycles.com/star/myyamaha/login/L3N0YXIvbXl5YW1haGEvaG9tZS5hc3B4/starthere.aspx You'll have to register, but they've got online service-schedules and Owner's Manuals back to 2002)

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Don't forget the Pre-Heater for the Castrol R, since it lubricates like sh!t when cold. Remember all those pre-heaters at the quarter midget races? And Speedway?

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
Castrol R is soooooo last Tuesday.....

What you need is good ol' Mobil 1 15w50 car oil....

What's that you say??? I'm a cheapskate like Dr. Saruzawa and B-Bar ???... well then Shell Rotella 15w40 diesel oil or Chevron Delo 400 LE 15w40 in handy 1 gallon containers available at fine auto parts stores and Wally * Worlds nationwide is the one for you..The maximum protection avaiable in a Dino based oil, meets and exceeds most synthetics in viscosity retention and resistance to thermal breakdown all for less than $15. a gallon.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yamaha oil change

Well I Found out how to change the oil in my 2005 650 Yamaha... On the right hand side is a small derby cover, take it off, Then inside are 3 bolts, take them out , be carefull you have a gasket to watch for....If you ripe the gasket make sure you replace it... You will see the oil filter....Take it off and replace... Make sure you drain your oil first... Plug is under the bike....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just a shot in the dark here...

I just purchased a 2001 Yamaha V-Star 650, and decided I'd give the oil change a try on my own. The drain plug is partially blocked by the bracket for the bike stand, which makes using a torque wrench virtually impossible (can't get the socket between the rail and the plug...have to say, I'm kinda perplexed why Yamaha couldn't have moved the drain plug an inch to the left?!).

How important is it to get the correct torque on the drain plug? (I'm not the most mechanically-inclined, so I don't know if the bike shop as a "special" torque wrench they can get to fit in there, but mine certainly doesn't!). My plan was to get a 17mm wrench and do my best to get the plug on/off. Otherwise, guess I'm shelling out a few more bucks for the shop to do it (dang, I just purchased 3 liters of oil and a filter!).

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
The shop mechanic won't be using a torque wrench either. Just tighten it like you would an automobile drain plug.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.