Motorcycle Forums banner

On The Cheap

4K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Kenneth_Moore 
#1 ·
Hi,
I guess I'm your usual new rider. Just got my license last Sunday through the PA MSF course and can't say enough good things about the instructors and how they handled our mixed group of ages and abilities.
Like everyone else I'm looking for my first ride.
I'm female, 51 yr.s old, 5'5" and a bit, and 135 lbs.
I'm also on a shoestring budget.
When I was told I needed to get over the ankle boots to take the MSF course in, I went to the local Thrift Store and found a pair of black mens work boots for $7.- and they work great.
A week later in the same store. I picked up an older style black leather Fieldsheer motorcycle jacket for $64.-. It's a tad long but is in perfect condition. Looked online and they went for $250-$350 new.
Now I'm all for starting on a 250 "something" and I already know I want used. I've been warned that I will drop the bike, at least once if not more.
The Ninja 250 is popular, but I learned on a cruiser and don't know if I'd like to ride a sport.
So far I've sat on a Virago, a Vulcan 500 and just 'cause it was there, a 750 Nighthawk.
The Nighthawk was too heavy.
Looked at a Rebel, it looks tiny.
My girlfriend who rides a big sport bike and says I'll be bored with the 250 in no time at all..
As a single parent with a 17 yr old at home, I'd rather be bored and alive, than thrilled and dead.
There are no plans to ride on the interstate. I just would like to build up confidence in my skills and stick to the back roads of the Lehigh Valley.
My instructor wasn't allowed to advise us, but did say I should be able to get a used beginner bike for around $1000.-1500.
There is a "Ride It Again" consignment shop that sells bikes and equipment, helmets too. What do you think about buying a gently used helmet? Too risky?
Wondering if I should wait till spring to buy but don't
want my brand new skills to start rusting away..
Would appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks!

Joie

See less See more
Discussion starter · #8 ·
Thanks all!
I appreciate your comments and advice :)
There's a Ninja 250 that I pass on my way home and I think I'll go by tonight and sit on it and get a feel.
They want $1800-, but it was dropped in the truck as they moved it and has a pretty decent sized hole to the plastic.
One fellow I inline speed skate with rides a dual purpose 250 and is very happy with it. Sat on it last night and I had to tip toe but it was light and very basic.
Had a Yamaha mini-enduro when I was sixteen and boy did I ever love that bike.
Perfect for riding the power line trails and back country roads..
Brings a smile to my face just thinking about it! LOL

Joie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.