Motorcycle Forums banner

One half million ATVs from South Carolina plant

6K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  nome 
#1 ·
One half million ATVs from North Carolina plant

Hey,

Maybe our Harley trolls (i.e. Todd8080) can go out an buy a Honda fourtrax then, and feel good about it. HSC has produced more ATV's than Harley has motorcycles in the last 3 years (years reported on HD website). I'd say that makes buying them pretty American, and nothing for extreme xenophobes to be ashamed about. They can choose to support the American economy, and have a product that actually is a quality product.

Flame away!

luvmyvfr

#2 ·
Re: One half million ATVs from North Carolina plant

I had a 1979 CB650. I wonder what kind of motorcycles they were assembling (not making- assembling) in the United States then. Just 'Wings?

I assume that first plant was in Marysville, Ohio, but I am not sure. When will they just move to Detroit and get it over with?

#4 ·
Ignorance is Un-Avoidable

People like TODD8080 WILL find another reason to hate the product. I talked to many Harley Guys(Like him that is, there are many sane Harley Riders out there) about the V-Rod as well as the SuperBike VR1000. Their comment is always the same "that aint' no motorcikel". A lot of these so-called Americans do not want Harley to progress, they want the rest of us to settle for a push rod, extra long wheel base, 15k + machine. They don't hate imports, they hate progress.

BTW, I have a Japanese street bike and an American (Polaris) atv. Love them both.

#6 ·

Nah..what they'd probably say is something to the effect of "those dollars are eventually feeding the economy of Japan and NOT America's... it's un-American!" or some other drivel that completely ignores the fact that Honda could just as easily move that plant out of the country entirely and put a lot of Americans from that plant out of work. Any minute now.. they'll post it, watch! :)

#8 ·

While many ATV riders are beer swilling bozos, some are not. I keep two blasters for breaking and keeping clear the woods trails so that my family can (two wheel) dirt ride. My wife and I have 2000 ZXs and also '90s dual sports. With post grad degrees, we are definitely not ********.

Plenty of airheads mis-ride sport bikes, cruisers and dirt bikes. Banning quads would just be a first step down a very slippery slope. As Ben Franklin said, we must all hang together or surely we will all hang separately.

#9 ·

they've run out of lame excuses for their existance a long time ago. but they still use that "brought to you by the same people who brought you pearl harbor" line. it's the purple haze they "live" in, and they have no logical or valid explanation for their resentment for anyhting that's not harley. let them be what they "wanna" be. i'm enjoying my great japanese "crotch rocket" very much thank you.

#10 ·
Relax my friend...

Just having some fun Rod. Went to the International Motorcycle Show here in Seattle this weekend. The V-Rod really is a pretty bike, even more so in person than in the pictures. I will never be able to own one though. Even if I had gobs of money, couldn't bring myself to pay that much for ANY motorcycle (maybe the RC 211V, though it would be worth 20 times the V-Rod's out the door price). Harley makes a decent, but over-priced (for me) product, I just thought that the comparable #'s were interesting, I see you took offense though. Who's insecure? I've nothing to be insecure about, after looking at all the bikes in the show, I was happy as a clam to be riding my VFR home (although the CBR1100XX is starting to look awfully good to me these days).

#11 ·
Insecure???

Well Rod, here's the deal. Most will agree that people buy Harleys for the "Image". Also, some people buy the hottest sport bike for that same reason. The difference is that the die-hard Harley guys give us a lot of crap about not riding American. In the same token, they got pissed off that Harley would produce a bike that seems soo Japanease like the V-Rod. My only assumption is that they are afraid that Harley can not compete with their over seas counterparts. I would honstly admitt that if I could have a few bikes in my Garage the Super Glide Sport would be one of them. It is just so un-justifiable that an air-cooled Push rod V twin costs over 13grand.

Moral of the story here is that if you like Harley, great. Ride it and enjoy it. People who truely love their bikes would not give others soo much flack about what they ride. They would not care. If you buy a bike solely based on the "Image" you are one sorry ass pathetic motorcycleist.

#12 ·
Ohh No,

Damn. The Harley mentality is hitting the dirt. "Ya'll aughts to ride what I does!". Please, atvs are causing no more destruction than your dirt bike making narrow ruts (to aid in erosion) and tearing up tree roots. ATV's are limited to wider trails and established recreation area's. Someone has said that "The best thing about ATV's is that anybody can ride them, the worst thing about ATV's is that anybody can ride them." Sure it does take a beginner more time to ride a dirt bike with any proficiency. Advanced riding on a dirt bike OR an atv requires skill. If you do not agree with that last statement please do not get on an atv. Your arrogance will hurt you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.