1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
10,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do I really need to say this?

SV650!! Put some peg lowers on it.

Concours! It's a great value.

600 Supersports! Screw your knees, the price/performance ratio can't be beat.

Used VFR! After you've ridden all the others you'll know this is the best.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
If your trippin' on it, the Nomad would be my choice. It's got all the goods to go the distance in comfort. Bad price/performance ratio, and it isn't an SV650, but those old bones should be happy on it.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I enjoyed riding my father-in-law's Nomad and would definately say it is one of the best large bikes I've ridden. I wouldn't want to take the twisties as fast as I would on a sport bike, but it'd be fun nonetheless.

As for the joints, I'd suggest doing something silly like yoga. I've found that a little regular practice really helps the knees and allows me to concentrate more on my riding and less on the odd sounds and feelings in my legs.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Re: The Goose is loose

The California is an excellent choice. Great handling + brakes, flexible motor and you can't beat the soul factor. You can also get a great deal right now on new '02 models (see Cycletrader.com). I would buy one myself if I did'nt already own one. The BMW 1150R is another great bike (highly refined compared to the goose, but without the character) and the ergos are more aggressive (higher pegs than the old 1100).

How about a H-D Road King?

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Screw the cruisers.

Speed Triple. Speed Triple. Speed Triple. Speed Triple. Speed Triple. Speed Triple. Speed Triple. Speed Triple. Speed Triple.......

Or a Bonnie T100.

Check 'em out.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
If you're trading in because of creaky joints DON'T get an R1150R. I'm 6'2 with a 32 in. inseam and glass knees and believe me if you're near those dimensions the R1150R will be a tight fit even with the "comfort" saddle. Other than that it's a cool bike. I spent alot of time in Triumph dealerships lately because I was interested in the Trophy 1200, I ended up with a BMW because I wanted to ride a twin for a while but that Speedmaster really caught my eye. You already have experiance with Triumph so I you like them get the Speedmaster. I'm going to ride this beemer for a few years and see what Triumph comes up with to replace the Trophy, then maybe I'll trade up. That is unless I can find one of those dandy SV650's for a good price..........

·
Registered
58 Posts
>>Considering: Triumph Speedmaster, Yamaha V-Star Custom 1100 or Kawasaki Nomad 1500.Man that speedmaster sounds cool. I think it's that 270° crank that really does it for me.
Instead of the Nomad, have you considered the Mean Streak? I think it's nearly as comfortable as the Nomad and better looking by a lot. Love those bar risers on it. A buddy just bought one, and it is ergonomically perfect (for me @ 6'2") and has an really comfy seat. Also it has surprising amount of O.E. get-up-and-go. and it looks cool, did I say that already?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Go to FORBES Mag online, to Columnists, to Rich Kaarlgard archives. In an early May '03 editorial, Kaarlgard talks about new research in non prescription NASIDS (non steroidal anti inflammatories). Also available at "Sports Injury Online". Not as much fun as buying a new bike, but might address the underlying problem, unless you are just looking for an excuse to get a bike.

Good luck. If you like the sportier side, but want a crusier you'll need it.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Since this is a fantasy, how about a Gurney Alligator? Got the riding position and reportedly is great fun in the twisties. $30-40 grand is a bit steep, perhaps, but you will get a lot more exclusivity than even an MV Agusta!

Or, if you are more concerned with the price-performance ratio, you could chop a CBR-RR -- I can just see it with extended fork, sissy bar, highway pegs and apehangers!

Glad to be of help

Bob

Bob

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Nomad? Isn't that the 2-door sporty wagon Chevy sold from 55-57 (I think)? Does sound like it would be pretty kind to the aching joints, but might not be all that much fun in the twisties (if my memories of Chevys of that era are correct).

Good ones are pretty expensive, so the price/performance ratio would make a Custom Harley sound like a bargain!

Hey Longride, are we gonna get a travel report from your last trip? Can't wait to read about how many parts you lost, and to see the long-term Eazy-Leaker road test report.

Cheers

Bob

·
Registered
246 Posts
Unless you're really set on a cruiser, check out the Suzuki V-Strom. I traded my Ducati ST4 on one, for similar reasons to yours. The Strom is nearly as much fun, and has nearly as much character, but you get to sit up straight. Hard bags are available (aftermarket better than Suzuki). It needs a couple of minor, but well-documented tweaks (windscreen, FI adjustment), and then you're good to go. I did a 2100 mile trip up and down the Cali coast on mine, and it was great.

Resources:

V-Strom FAQ

V-Strom User Group

MO Review

Motorcycle Daily Review (also see two long-term test updates at MD)

Rider Magazine Review

·
Registered
159 Posts
Here's my take on the subject...

I've never ridden or priced the Nomad but I assume that it's most likely the most expensive of the bunch. My closest parameter of comparison was a Mean Streak. That had decent power (for a cruiser), suspension was nice and good brakes. The details of the bike didn't win me over though.

The Vstar 1100 is a very good cruiser for the money and, in my opinion, it looks and feels less cheap and more refined than the Kawasakis. Easy to modify the engine and get good power/sound.

The Speedmaster would most likely be my choice after all because I like Triumphs. Good suspension, the brakes are better than on the America (don't go for the America, by the way), great looks, very unique and not a total Harley clone. Feels very good. The sound and power output leave a lot to be desired but the engine revs rather nicely and it's very easy to do simple mods that will have it sounding a bit meaner and putting more power to the pavement.

If you love Trumpets and are emotional about your bikes get the Speedmaster. If you like the best value for your money get the Vstar. The Kawasaki is more expensive and should feel a lot bigger, so only get it if you loved it after test riding all three.

Do test ride all of them and make your own decision.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.