Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am delighted to have earned the distinction of first posterer here. I have tried and tried in the past only to have my heart broken by a faster typist. Life is good right now.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
I'm sorry, did you say something?

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
I want the batcycle to go with my kNinja or kCycle.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Amazingly, the Robb Report motorcycle magazine does find its way to the UK. It's actually easier to find than Cycle World (Hello, Mr Overseas Distributor, are you awake?). But for all the droolworthy specials and concours restorations in Robb, and although I love the diversity of the motorcycling world, I can't quite get my head round this luxury thing. There's something real about bikes, something that involves dust, oil, bugs in the teeth, and occasional pain, and although they're the bits we all hate, if they were taken away the rest of it would lose something. Robbworld bikes - and Robbworld bikers, for all I know, because I've never met any of these people on the road - are missing the point, somehow.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've been a RR subscriber for many years now, and have every issue of Motorcycling since it was introduced. I find their perspective much more interesting that the techno-babble and track-talk of most magazines; its more down to earth for the average-skilled biker. Sorry to those who "don't get" the luxury aspect. Biking is a lifestyle for many of us, and even though I don't consider myself a RUB or a poseur (I use my bike and I use it well) I do enjoy getting informed about the finer items in the hobby as in life- the way I see it, it just gives me more opportunity to be unique within the sport.

·
Registered
81 Posts
And I really, really wish I could make it to some of their Concours events... They do presentations of luxury cars, spirits, watches, everything I love.... :)

·
Registered
514 Posts
The luxury thing goes hand in hand with the prices being paid for classic and collectable bikes...

when a 90s bike bike like the Ducati Supermono is selling for well into six figures, it makes me wonder if I should cash out the IRA and invest in a Desmosedici

·
Registered
277 Posts
Not all Ducatis appreciate. I have a buddy who is a real Ducati nut, has been for twenty years. When they brought out a limited edition (like about 50 made, ever) Lucchinelli Replica in the middle '80s, based on the then Superbike winner, he bought one. Track-suitable only, racing parts, unobtanium everything, and he kept it in its shipping crate, never even properly assembled - a pure investment (he also bought the regular version, as a daily ride!). Its value now is less than half what he paid for it - and since his business has gone into a dip, he's had to offload much of his collection, at a loss.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Ah, one of the luxury Robbworld bikers I never get to meet, I presume! Delighted to make your acquaintance, sir, and how fine a thing MO is, enabling us to meet when our paths would otherwise never cross. I'd shake hands, but as you will no doubt understand, mine is all dusty and oily...

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
I guess you and I are 180 apart when it comes to motorcycling, JC. I subscribed to RR Motorcycling for a short period. Very nice magazine, lots of nice pictures, but not anyway at all connected with what or how I ride.

More power to you if that suits you, though.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
YOU CAN'T handle the Bat-Cycle, Boy Flounder. *That* is why I had Alfred design the pedals into the detachable sidecar - careful now, that thing has one whole entire "Robin-Power" at your fingertips (toes?)..................

(On second thought, maybe you should just stay back at the Batcave.............)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.