Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
Excellent read...loved it.. I keep talking about taking the Ninja down the cost to the MotoGP races. My cruiser friends laugh at me... but now I have no execuse cause you rode the equivalent distance on bike which has sportier ergos than my 2001 ZX-6R. Nice pictures the Ducati 748/998 are beautiful...and yours is sure pretty..

Great job Jeremiah....

·
Registered
156 Posts
The furthest I've ridden my older Ducati (a 907IE) in a day was about 450 miles, but I have the excuse that I'm at least 40 years older than Mr. Krupp. After reading his report, I almost think I'd like to ride it to Datona. Except that the one way distance is about 2500 miles in my case. I've done Daytona on my BMW - after reading the story, I think maybe I should try the Duc one of these years.

The key to covering distance on a sports bike, including any of the "Big 4" models, is the suggestion that you should tense one part of the body at a time and relax the rest. Also, it's an excellent idea to NOT twist the right wrist much at all. Traffic fines and points count can bring any trip to a halt!

Like any other Ducati owner, I've heard the tales of difficult maintenance, mostly from Honda riders who couldn't remove their fairing if they had to. At 60,000 miles, it's still going strong, if you don't count the steering head bearings I had to replace about 15,000 miles ago (yep, I did it myself). That's been about it..

·
Registered
140 Posts
At last a common sence story,someone rediscovered what motorcycling used to be about .Its about enjoying the moment and not spending every hour worrying about image and what marketers tell you to wear, or what gagets your bike needs to make it look cool.Just ride for the moment, tomorrow may be too late.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Good story, and inspirational

After putting a Corbin and LSL bars on my XB12R last fall, I've been looking forward to riding farther than 60-80 miles at a time. After reading this, I might even sell my '78 GoldWing and its Windjammer to someone who'll need it more than me. Thanks for the inspiring read, Jeremiah.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Wow,... really good article! There should be more written from that perspective. That's the kind of stuff real motorcyclist wanna read. I wanna know more about what it's like to live with a 748 or ZX-10R as a one only bike to perform many different tasks. Not everyone can buy a 2006 R6 for the summer and then take a loss to get rid of it in the winter and so on. Just about all sportbikes purchased will be ridden on the street and few will ever see a track. Even fewer are ever ridden at the bikes max potential.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Ducati 748 Road Glide;that`s a bike.

Ducks are wonderful bikes.Rode my first one in

We used to drag race;305 Honda Super Hawks

vs 250 Ducks.

Occasionally road race against a "HOT" 64 Ford Falcon Futura a/V8.

Then a cop bike,then a district court judge.

Then DAD-OUCH !!!

My last ST2 was among best bike owned.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You have no excuse!

We ride down to Laguna on our sport bikes, ZX12R's,ZX10R,sZX6R,s CBR 929's,CBR 954's, and tent camp along the way. We start in Vancouver BC, Spokane WA, and San Diego CA, and meet up in Salem OR.

Then we head south to Laguna. 200 to 400 mile days are the norm, some days stretch out to 600miles.

Yes I did say a couple of the group ride their 12R's up from San Diego to Salem to join the group to head to Laguna!

Hope this motivates you that extra bit to get you on your Ninja this July

·
Registered
51 Posts
Wow, Jeremiah!! What a great story!! Thanks for the details. I liked hearing about your maintenance and evaluations on ridability, practicality, and fun. I'm proud of you for riding your Duc to Daytona, and putting more than 15K on your 748 in one year. I've always wanted a Duc, but never pulled the trigger. Maybe now.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Excellent story...But you did not stay for the races ? Even at 40+ys, 6'4 220pds I regularly do 500 miles days on my 2000 ZX6R on the stock seat. The key is regular stops to stretch and get the blood circulating again. I would lovet to have a touring bike, but life's priorities intrude and as a sportbike additct my next bike --a ZX10 or S4Rs will also be pressed in LD duties.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.