Motorcycle Forums banner
41 - 60 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
What the holy bifflesticks is this...Kooks personal forum? Geeze - enough already!

I tried on a Buell for size at the bike show in Jan...fit me a heck of a lot better than most sport bikes. Like the author, I'm a sizable fellow.

This is great stuff! Best of luck to bgrummett and to Buell! Hot stuff!

·
Registered
512 Posts
Re: Services

That was just for the maintenance agreement.

The basic warrenty that came with the bike from Buell was for 2 years unlimited mileage.

Forgot what I paid for an extra 5 years beyond that. I think it was like $750 or so.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Re: I probably have a bad attitude.....

well, i rode a shed load of 4-cyls., until it became hard to tell one from another. maybe why i like the buells so much. XB's to me are among the very coolest bikes in the world. I truly don't see how the mags overlook them when it comes to innovative design, etc. Well, i see how motorcyclist overlooks them. E. Buell wants boehm's head, so no chance of the Right Thing happening in that atmosphere of mutual personal animosity.

·
Banned
2,452 Posts
Re: I probably have a bad attitude.....

Yep Marc Cook and Boehm were both very critical. Sportsrider was critical as well. Cycle World was a little kinder. Motorcycle USA had a bracket go bad on a test bike so they were guarded about it. The Motorcycle Daily loved it but they like every bike.

I do notice you see more about mass centralization (part of the Buell holy trinity) in Japanese and BMW ad copy these days.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Re: I would love to see a one year report on a ZRX

That's not likely to happen till he actually buys a bike and rides it for a year.

Great artical gbrum, owners reviews like this from people who actually ride their bikes over a longer term are worth their weight in gold.

Yours is interesting because I like the Buell and I'm about the same size as you so your mention of how small the bike feels is key.

I guess you were to polite to mention all the parts that fell off and oil leaks/smoke/engine-falling-out-of-frame episodes you had, Buells do that ya' know

·
Registered
108 Posts
Re: Nothing suprises me

Sold my M-2 a few years back, I've gone through a GSXR-750, a 1200 naked Bandit and a Honda Superhawk. I now find myself looking for another Cyclone, as no other bike I've ever ridden has the "feel" of the Buell. The in-line 4 is "kitchen appliance like" in comparison. Of course you have to deal with the vibration issue and stuff falling off, but hey, It's a motorcycle. Ride on.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
It's got to spin if you want to win.

Nice article, informative, Thank You. Now I will say this and I'm sure that I'm not the only one to notice: kpaul, If you are in a dragrace with a good rider on that Buell and you are on your ZX-6R and you "hit 5000 RPMs in second" he is going to be LONG GONE. It would take a good while to recover at that point even if you run it out and shift at or near redline until your top speed advantage comes into play.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Re: The only way to settle this is if MO and Sean have the guts..

No fair. The 636 has thrown up lap times that beat several litre bikes.

If you're going to compare, grab the middle of the pack 600. Not the badest of the bad.

Grab a GSXR-600.

·
Banned
2,452 Posts
An0ther old geezer speaks

I don't follow you. First answer the question. When was the last time you have been on a Japanese 600 and what year was it.? These things make 100+ hp now and the torque curve comes to play at 5000 to 6000 unlike the old days where you would have to go to 9000. That 636 must of been sick.... Read other reviews about the Buell in other mags or sites. Appreciate the Buell for what it is but it is no Ninja killer. Given that the average 600 is $2000 cheaper makes me laugh even more. [*] Remember 600s are surpassing Superbike times of a few years ago.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Re: Excellent stuff

I have ridden the 636 and an '03 R6. I found the 749 Ducati to be Far easier for me to comfortably push (go faster) through the "twisties" on the Street, regardless of the numbers. Don't put too much weight on "the numbers" unless you want to impress squids at bike night, they will often have little to do with the overall performance obtainable by the average rider on the street IMO. All the major Motorcycle Moto-Journalists are considerably faster than the average rider IMO (not many of us could hang with ol' JB I'd wager), they can push a Motorcycle harder than most ever could and find weaknesses we may never come upon. A faster rider will almost always be faster on the Street (if slowing, turning and accelerating is involved) regardless of what you or he is on. "Fast" riders can use most of a motorcycles potentual, the numbers, the rest of us can't with the exception of straight line acceleration, once under way... IMO (not the easiest thing to get an I-4 600 out of the blocks hard, consistently). I hear the Buell's relatively easily "Scat" out of the hole. The "Track" has little to do with what you have experienced on the street and you will found that out when when you make it to the track IMO. You may be the next Freddie Spencer but probably not, there's no shame in that (I'm sure not). Based on what I've "heard" about the new Buell's (from both Experienced and Fast guys, I know both. Some are both.) I would not be surprised if many/most riders go faster, easier, on a new Buell (even a, or maybe even more so, hold your hat!, 900) over a "timed route" on the Street compared to a new 600/636. Possibly a SV650 could even make a respectable showing in that situation? "Like I said your experience is old.", nothing personal KP but your experience isn't old.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Great article! A report like this is worth the subscription price. I have owned the following bikes, in order. 86 Honda 500 Interceptor, 88 Kawi ZX1000 Ninja, 90 Yam XT 600, 89 or 90 Yam FJ 1200, 99 Buell X1 Lightning and currently have a 97 Kawi ZX11 D.

The Buell gave me more problems than the others combined. Admittedly, it was the easiest to wheelie on and has cool rumble with an aftermarket exhaust. But I had sworn them off after numerous electrical problems, that I think is/was due to the inherit vibration of a 45 degree V-twin. The Honda 500 was/is the best bike I have ever owned or ridden.

I am glad to hear that newer Buells are a lot better than the older ones. The biggest problem with buying one in my area, is the local dealer, Cowboy Harley, could care less about selling/servicing Buells. And their mechanics were notorious for thrashing Buells once the servicing was done. I once saw two of them drag racing them in town. I recognized the bikes and knew that both were getting oil changes at Cowboy Harley. I relayed the info to the owners and they were steamed. I realize the bikes need to "aired" out but that was uncalled for by a couple of grease jocks.

A little off the subject matter, but a great article and maybe Buell will figure out a way to put the Vrod motor in a sporty frame.

·
Registered
34 Posts
A love story. This is the stuff that makes poets of us alll. Congratulations.

I can identify with your experience. I went from a '98 Daytona to an '04 Daytona SE. When you find something that evokes the spirit, nothing else is a substitute.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Very detailed write up! I've really wanted to like this bike, I love how it looks. I keep seein' them cheaper and cheaper so who knows.

A couple years ago I was going to buy either an R6 or an SV 650. I went to look at an SV that had an aftermarket exhaust. The deciding factor was sound. What a sound! I guess I'd have to pop for the race kit. I heard a Buell in the mountains once, incredible!

41 - 60 of 150 Posts