Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, he wasn't over 50, wasn't riding an ill-handling, poor breaking, pig of a cruiser and he was MSF certified and was riding a superior handling sportbike and STILL bit it big time. This was obviously a Fox News piece and a total fabrication, right KP? I guess since you didn't see it, it didn't really happen. I hope the guy comes out of it ok.

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
Ah then this is a Fox News fabrication ;) Good catch.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
oh yeah, you know the one. it will do 200 in third gear......:)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Why is it that they always mention things like "capable of speeds near 200 mph?" If he wrecked doing 80 mph (hypothetically) then what does it matter if the bike will do more?

In all the stories about Ben Roethlisberger's wreck, they went out of their way to say how fast the Hayabusa can go, yet his wreck was at about 35 mph, which a Vino or Metropolitan will do...

·
Registered
134 Posts
Could be a 2005 CBR1000RR, also, with someone getting the year wrong. Journalists are about as good with motorcycle details as they are with economic details.

Maybe he took it too hot and got surprised, but we don't really know that he did anything wrong yet. He might have hit some sand or antifreeze or who knows what and tried to save a slide by straightening out.

In any event, I hope he's okay.

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
Yep he was speeding right? longride never does that when he is praticing curves on the exit ramps... Good thing he was wearing protective gear.. Just think if he wasn't wearing the right gear. Yep I hope he comes out of it.. Just think if he would of been on a Harley and wearing a skull cap helmet. He would probably be dead now..

·
Registered
155 Posts
i am with you on that one..he almost severed his arm ..no thought on how the accident happened just that he was an instructor and how ironical it is for him to have an accident.....

what next? stories about judges or cops who break the law?

·
Registered
126 Posts
"Henry suffered a broken pelvis and ribs, and his left arm was nearly severed. He also suffered a brain hemorrhage and internal bleeding. "

You think he's more embarassed than injured? Doesn't sound that way.

And yes, he's a motorcycle safety instructor. And yes he had an accident. That's no reason to make light of his injuries or teaching skills. I suppose you were laughing it up when Larry Grodsky had his fatal accident. A**hole.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Oddly enough, I had just finished pontificating on the most recent 'who's the worst rider' flame war, and mentioned among the slices of the total motorcycle accident pie, there were a few who were just put in an impossible situation, and a few who should have known better. We've probably all been there and done that, if we are honest with ourselves. My prayers go out to those who love him.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've been riding for about 18yrs and recently my 23 yo cousin wants to learn to ride. He currently believes their isnt much difference between riding a bike and drving a car. Neway, when he passes his license I will be giving him lots of accumulated knowledge and techniques to keep him safe. This past week I've noticed a presence of arrogance in my riding, probably cos I have fallen into the trap of "if I can teach someone, Im too good to fu*k up myself". A sobering story that has turned me from being an omniscient teacher back into just a guide. Physics is still physics.....

·
Registered
85 Posts
Unfortunately the best way to learn most things is to have practical experience with them, which means having something go wrong or preferably in the case of a motorcycle, almost go wrong. Droning in a straight line or through a lazy set of slow curves has yet to teach me anything. Having the situation get a little squirrelly, those are the situations which tend to further my knowledge.

It would be great to be able to generate those kinds of things in a semi-controlled manner. I think the first level MSF course would be a lot more useful if time was spent keeping the riders figuratively off balance in order to hopefully generate a mindset where you don't relax your guard.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just don't understand the need to sensationalize the whole ordeal. If he were a driving instructor, and wrapped his car around a telephone pole, I doubt there would be a mention. I think there are certain activities, motorcycling being one of them, where people want to hear about us getting hurt (or worse). That way they can all sit around, and go, "yes, see, they are dangerous!"

By the way, isn't the CBR1000 a naked bike in Europe and Canada? In 2001, wasn't the "high powered sport bike, capable of speeds close to 200MPH" a 929?

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
the EU refers to the bike as a cb1000f and they bumped the cc to 1300 about 3 or 3 years ago.

·
Registered
352 Posts
it's called a dirt bike - it generates squirrelly feelings in a semi-controled manner.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
One of the things that seems to hardest to communicate to people is that the only kinds of riders there are are those who have been down and those who are going to be.

In the dirt, it's a given, that's why stuff is so hard to break on a dirt bike, or at least easily replaced. But it's the same deal on pavement. You WILL get the opportunity to test your safety equipment, if you ride long enough.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I haven't been able to relate a whole lot from my time spent with off-road dirt bikes to on-road sport bikes. They behave differently, use a different style of riding, and the situations you find yourself in are very different. All that time spent on dirt bikes years ago is useful on a low level though. I've not crashed out on pavement (yet) but have done so on the dirt and imagine it's the better place to do so when learning the basic concepts.

I suppose in the very least giving yourself a heart attack on a dirt bike can prepare you to some degree for such a feeling on the road.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.