Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
You should also throw a Hayabusa or a ZX-12 in the test, too. It'll help people keep these power levels in perspective, and it'll certainly liven things up in the reader feedback.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I think comparing apples to apples is a good way to go...

Besides, throwing the V-Max into the mix is a good way to keep things in perspective. Remember that it was THE drag bike for a long time, and it's still pretty damned fast.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Wow, that Honda VTX is a porker! I've read several articles about the VTX, and I just never realized that it's a 705 lb bike. That's why comparisons like this are so valuable. During individual bike tests, sometimes a bikes shortcommings get glossed over a little bit - especially if a bike has other redeeming qualities. But, when you stack the numbers up against other bikes in the class, there's no where to hide!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Re: Open Cruisers shoot out.

Why is V-Max even on this issue??? Isn't v-max a V4 not a V-twin, seat height is over 30 in. compared to the Honda's 27 in. and H-D's 26 in.

I always thought the V Max is just a over-powered, poor handling and old looking sportbike, not a cruiser!

If you are looking for the best power-cruiser package Between the V-Rod and VTX,

I score them as follows

POWER-------- VRod ---9 , VTX ---8 , 1800cc should make more torque than 1130cc, but not less horsepower.

Handling------- VRod ---9 , VTX ---7 , 110 more pounds and less ground clearance, need I say more?

Comfort------- VRod ---8 , VTX ---9 , Ok, VTX has better seat and riding position.

Styling-------- VRod ---10 , VTX ---7 , The Ugly seam on the bottom of VTX's tank, what was Honda thinking? No comparison to V-Rod's Unique set up.

Drivetrain----- VRod ---9 , VTX ---8 , Shaft drive on VTX with driveline lash, to V-Rod's smooth belt.

Value----- VRod ---8 , VTX ---9 , I happen to think the $4,500 more in MSRP for the V-Rod is well worth it!

Total VRod ---53 pts , VTX ---48 pts

V-Rod

·
Registered
282 Posts

Have you ridden them both? If not you might at least want to reserve your handling score. No doubt the HD will handle better, maybe by a bigger margin than that.

The V-Max is not a cruiser, or sport bike, or anything like that. It's a musclebike, a type of standard. And there's no such thing as overpowered.

·
Registered
30 Posts
just looking at the dyno chart it would seem that neither the v-rod or v-max belong here. The power comes on so high up in the rev range it would make me think you got to be going pretty fast to feel it! I'm a Harley guy and love the low end torque of my twin cam 88. And I may go up to the 95 ci, only time and money will tell. But really fuel economy should also figure in as cruisers also double as short distance turing bikes, or at least mine does. I get in the mid forties but if I really go slow can get more. this may seem like a small thing to the younger guys out there but it all adds to the experience, good or bad. But to me the cruiser is about low end grunt, the thing you feel right off idle. So the Honda is right on I would prefer a belt drive and a bit less weight still I would like to ride one just to feel it at 3200 rpm! I think the stage I plus a few cubes would give me about 78 or so foot pounds at the wheel, plus my superglide weighs about 90lbs less, so cool!

·
Registered
1 Posts
how right you are.. the only time i even came close to revving up to 8.000 rpm, was on my 1979 1000cc goldwing, trying to establish its max speed (+/- 190 km/h on the speedo)..

some might say i have no business commenting on (power) cruisers, since i ride an r1150rt.. sorry folks, but i'll just go on reading anything about motorbikes in any of the languages i more or less understand..

oh, by the way, that goldwing is still alive and kicking, be it with a sidecar attached to it. i'd just love to hang that onto the VTX.. if i were a rich man..

·
Registered
53 Posts
The most interesting thing about the differences in bikes, attitudes, and markets for each:

1. V-ROD- Everyone who has one immediately

rode it strait to a dyno, to:

(A) build a pipe for it,

(B) build a stroker crank and big pistons for it,

(I'll bet Honda Jim at JE Pistons already has a

set done for the V-ROD)

(C)Jack Sparks at Carrillo is thanking the Con

Rod god.

(D) See how expensive it is going to be to get

100 ft lbs and 150 hp outa this motor!

2. Honda VTX 1800- Everyone who got one:

(A)Immediately rode to the nearest Yamaha

shop to brag about trading in their Road Star on

it! (cheap shot, but I had to!)

(B) Rode it EXACTLY 100.00 miles to confirm

the gas mileage figures

(C) Started practicing emergency right turns for

V-ROD evasion

I really don't get the VTX. I understand the appeal of a "Honda quality" cruiser, but why not back it up with performance? It seems to me that Honda, Kawasaki, (especially Kaw) and Yamaha all seem be trying to "out Harley" Harley-Davidson.

I saw a glimmer of real imagination with the Yamaha concept bike a few years ago (I hope that will be the new "Warrior") and see some interesting ideas with the Valkerie, but Kawasaki's Vulcans look so much like a Harley it's amazing.

I guess since I have to ask, it's me that doesn't get it.

Hopefully the market for all segments will continue to grow, so that I will have VTX's that make me scratch my head, V-Max's to make me turn my head, Vulcan's to make me shake my head, and V-ROD's to make me want to stroke my head!

(I had to say that!{gross!})

I am looking foreward to this year!

·
Registered
211 Posts

Ha! damn skippy! power!!! woooHoooo!!!

I agree the VMax isn't exactly a 'cruiser', but if push came to shove, it fits 'cruiser' closer than anything else, IMHO. It's still got that sit back feel, though not -quite- so back... it's definitely not a lean-forward type of deal that even a lot of the current 'super-standards' have. It weighs way too much to be part of that new S.S. breed too.

So, you have long, kinda low, kinda laid-back, kinda porky, FAT back tire (though not nearly as radical by comparison as it was when it debuted), less than stellar handling (sorry vmax guys!), and lots and lots of ATTITUDE... (some would say the key ingredient?)... and talk about individuality!

This bike has it in spades! There is no mistaking a Vmax.. by sight or by sound!

Cruiser.. or Power-Cruiser fits that mold best... but that's still kind of a stretch, I agree.

Heresy perhaps, but you can see more than a few styling cues in the Vrod from the Vmax. (flame on!! :) )

-James

p.s. I've longed for a Vmax for years.. I'm sad to see that Yamaha is going to kill it off.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Isn't this the wonderful thing about bikes? Manufacturers & their engineers, marketing types and designers noodle together what they think is the best design for who they think is going to buy it at the time. And then the magazines and e-zines get ahold of them and nit-pick (and here we get to comment). Finally they hit the real world where all the hot air blows up against the consumer and their wallets. Then the consumer (you & I) decide how to spend what cash we can to buy something that will run 10-13 second quarters, top out over 130 (pleas, not on the streets) and all for less than a Honda Civic or Geo Sprint. Gawd, I love it. These are the good old days.

·
Registered
1 Posts
V-rod similar to my old VR-1000

Brent,

I find it very interesting to see the dyno chart for the V-rod. It is almost identical to the original VR-1000 chart as delivered to me in 1995

I wonder if they fixed the oil pump drive system, and valve train yet? Let me know after a couple thousand miles!

Ron Mcgill

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm not a cruiser fan, but I've always admired the V-Max. Even after all these years, it is the best way to get the adrenaline pumping. I know it has

questionable handling and brakes, but all the bikes in this class are more about style than performance. If the riders wanted performance, any 600 supersport will do the job at a fraction of the cost. Bravo V-Max !

1 - 20 of 186 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.