Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
I don't think he opened himself up any more than he already was. I'm sure it wouldn't be difficult to prove any of the facts he provided in this letter, other than the one fact he didn't take responsibility for, the deer.

I admire his honesty and willingness to bare his iniscretions before the public. I don't think I would.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Mistakes in judgment happen throughout our lives but none more often than when we are young. If we learn from them then at least we won’t make the same ones over and over again.

The pain you feel at the injuries your friend received is obvious in your letter. That displays a level of humanity not often found these days.

Thank you for taking the time to both write it as well as the courage to ask that it be posted here in this very public forum

·
Registered
52 Posts
Captain, you are unbelievable. How can you possibly chastise Travis for admitting he made a huge mistake and taking responsibility for it?? You are a sad, bitter person and a perfect example of why America is the Land of the Lawsuit.

I respect Travis and his writing that open letter. I wish him and Matt the best, and a speedy recovery from this tragic ordeal. I also wish them blind eyes and deaf ears to the people like Captain.

-Ollie

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, that's no what I said. I admire the fact that he would admit his fault openly, because it is something that is difficult to do. I was pointing out that doing it in a public way could open him up to legal action. Why do you think he said himself that his friends told him not to do this? Don't you think they told him the same thing? I also wish him the best, which I said in the other story on this subject- go look it up and stop chastising ME for pointing out a sad fact of our society.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Too bad this guy didn't realize how dangerous it is on mountain roads at night where there are deer. Definitely not smart to race around when they are foraging around at night. I've known too many who have hit deer even when driving at legal speeds.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I suspect that you are correct -- any of the facts in his message are probably either evident from the evidence (wait, that is redundant!) or were already included in his statement to the police.

Probably is tactically better to get his spin on those facts.

I admire him for owning up to his errors in judgement.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
True, several years ago, a friend of mine was riding his Ducati at about 100mph (that is what he admitted to the police) up Chalk Creek Canyon (near Coalville, UT) when he hit a deer.

Luckily for him, he was wearing race-spec leathers and helmet -- he flew over the deer and slid forever. His helmet had maybe 2 square inches not ground almost through the shell. He ended up with a broken collarbone, the Ducati had a bent fork and required some new plastic. Pretty sure the deer didn't fare quite as well.

That incident, along with a couple of close calls myself, is part of why I decided to take my fast riding to the track instead of the street. Just too many deer-vehicle accidents in Utah!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I cannot understand how someone who is a racer would ever take any vehicle on any public road and endanger not only himself but everyone else around him.

Sounds like he learned his lesson the hard way and he is DAMN LUCKY no one is dead.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Ahh, to be young and stupid. However lets not be too harsh on the lad, I for one was in a similar position many moons ago when I was young and stupid and learned very valuable lessons from it, and other escapades, and he has the stones to come out in public and admitt his guilt.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Ahh, to be young and stupid. However lets not be too harsh on the lad, I for one was in a similar position many moons ago when I was young and stupid and learned very valuable lessons from it, and other escapades, and he has the stones to come out in public and admitt his guilt.

·
Registered
473 Posts
to be old and wise ...

to be old and wise you must first be young and stupid. i'd wager that a good many of us have done stupid things that could easily have resulted in a similar catastrophe. i know I have.

i'm not sure if i admire him for his public statement or not. i think it massively exposes him to all sorts of legal actions. it will be interesting to see if the family of the young man who was injured is willing to forego getting their hands on travis' money (not to mention the money of the car maker, the county, the deer, etc., etc.).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Re: Deer

I think deer are thicker than mosquitos here in S. Michigan. Jackson county, where I live, has more per capita vehicle/deer accidents than anywhere in the state. I avoid riding outside of the city within 1 hour of sundown. Even when I ride in the middle of the day I see deer.

I wish they would allow more hunting of the critters!

·
Registered
45 Posts
What, noone on this website ever rides at supralegal speeds on country roads? What's with the criticism. He did what we all do (on 4 wheels, not 2, admittedly) and had an accident, just like many motorcyclists. It sucks, and I hope his friend makes a full recovery, but I absolutely understand what he was doing and don't fault him in the sightest for it. If his friend is a true friend, he'll collect from Pastrana's insurance company, and that will be the end of it...

--sam

·
Registered
107 Posts

I can use some info here. I'm very cautious regarding deer from about an hour before sunset until an hour after. I've never been deer hunting, so I don't know their habits, but can anyone tell me when the REAL danger hours are for deer?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Hell, I have done things almost that stupid when I was over 50!

If we were reading this account, with the only difference being that he was able to narrowly avoid the crash, most of us would be laughing along with Travis. It is only because of the outcome that it looks like such a stupid action.

The guys here who never ride/drive more than 5mph over the limit etc can feel justified in criticizing, the rest of us are hypocrits if we do so.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts

I lived briefly in Milan a few years back and you are right about the number of deer in Jackson County.

You are right about within an hour of sundown, but I also have had quite a few close calls at all hours of the day or night.

Anybody know if those deer whistles actually work?

Bob

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I'd venture to say that every "decent" person has done things that they regret, made mistakes. What is not nearly so common is a young man with the moral courage to admit openly both his "fault" and regret. I wish the best for both you and your friend. I also find a strength within you as a person that has caused me to have more respect than any amount of professional success could have. Travis, I believe your on the "right track" don't take advice on how to be a man from those that think like a lawyer.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.