Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The accident "illustrates the problem we have with speed and what can happen in an instant," High said.

I couldn't agree more. Assuming that the "we" to which he refers is the D.C. Police. Clearly they have a problem with speed. They really should train their people better.

~Rob

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Probably just a visitor from the great state of California that thought they had reciprocal lane splitting laws, kinda like concealed carry... Oops, that's right, no carry in D.C., right?

~Rob

·
Snuggles
4,369 Posts
I would have a REALLY hard time controlling myself if I realized someone close to me was killed because of ANOTHER unnecessary police chase.

How many more innocent individuals need to be killed because of police department’s love of the high speed chase?

Yes, the speeder was breaking the law. But 2 DEAD and 15 INJURED SHOULD NOT HAPPEN and that blame falls solely at the feet of the police department.

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
A better solution

As my mom used to say.. "All of that horsing around is all well and good until someone puts an eye out." Sure the idiot bikers actions touched off the adrenaline and ego of the officers.. Bet the video never goes public. The video probably shows some poor judgment by the officers. State Patrol in WA state backs off in chases like that and lets their airplane track em... Picks them up when the guy stops at 7-11 for a Slurpee. Single engine fixed wings are much more cost effective then helicopters. When I was fighting forest fires back in Colorado helicopters were several times more costly to fly. Also a Cessna 172 max speed is around 14O mph about the same as the max speed for a Bell 206 Jet "Death" Ranger helo.. We called it a Death Ranger because during the hot summer days at the high altitudes of Colorado it's performance was significantly degraded i.e. density altitude

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
But... but... if they don't let the cops engage in deadly chases how else are they gonna get that adrenaline fix? I mean, how are they gonna get on "Wildest Police Videos" on Spike?

(sarc) Certainly someone traveling too fast is a serious public menace. Far more dangerous to society than that out of control murder rate they got out there. (sarc off)

Two dead and they didn't even catch the guy. I hope it was worth it.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
Re: A better solution

·
Registered
16 Posts
I asked a guy that is a cop and rides sport bikes why some cops find it necessary to take massive chances to chase an obviously faster machine such as a litre sport bike. His response was that alot of the cops have big egos and are very competitive so they take up the challenge. He said it wasn't very smart and puts the public in massive danger. He said that he lets the guy run and radios cars ahead to begin a gradual road block. Or the other option is to contact the helicopter and track the guy. Either way, he said doesn't even try to do something as stupid as chasing a sportsbike in a heavy missle such as a car. At least this cop gets it and understands they must be "smarter" rather than "tougher" to enforce the laws. Something we have seen with all of these speed chases that end in tragedy. Cops should reevaluate how they handle these fast moving bikes AND cars such as Turbo Carreras, Ferraris, Vipers, etc. that terrorize the bikes from time to time. I think the public deserves better service from its public servants.

·
Registered
26 Posts

Damn, I should have known that post yesterday, you know, the one where you said you wouldn't post anymore, was weak. I was so looking forward to not hearing your blather for a while.

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
Kind of like Waco.. huh.. Wasn't it the Texas Rangers who recommended that the ATF back off and arrest David Koresh, when he went for groceries..

·
Banned
3,775 Posts

I got you to post so I did my job. Thanks for your 2 cents... Let's see that is a penny for me and a penny for MO..

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
[No message]

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
;^p~

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
Oh, like THAT would've worked........

;^D

1 - 20 of 132 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.