Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11,482 Posts
Uh, perhaps I've led too sheltered a life, or maybe I'm just behind the times or something, but I thought this was already a requirement in most states? MO (as in Missouri), AR, and I *think* KS and OK have required this for as long as I can remember.

Mind, I'm all for it, have no doubt.

-Scott

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I hope they do it better than the California test. I took it back in the 70's, when I had already been riding for a while. They were all obsessed with gearing down and using the rear brake fijrst, stuff like that. The only way to pass it was to memorize the ridiculous crap that they thought was important.

Too bad, because I think a well thought out test could be a useful learning tool for beginners.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I think it's a great move.

Wish the good people of SC would do the same for cage drivers. The tests now are a joke that a third grader could pass. Beware if you venture forth to this great state.

What's the middle lane for on an interstate?........obviously for going five miles an hour under the speed limit.

Didn't remember that question on the test, but it must be there somewhere. Guess it's in the drivers ed classes also.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Yeah, my foggy recollection is that I had to take the "knowledge test" in Illinois before getting a learner's permit lo these many years ago.

It was followed the same morning by the road test and a motorcycle endorsement. The entire process (minus a two-hour wait in line at the always-crowded Secretary of State office) took about 45 minutes.

Some test, but I guess it's better than nothing.

·
Registered
31 Posts
there's a test in ny as well. i support the spirit of the idea (mandatory education = good) but these tests are so easy to pass that they're pretty pointless. a step in the right direction (graduated licensing, anyone?) at least.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Actually, in California, you have to pass the written test first to get a permit, and then you can take the MSF course to bypass the riding test.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.