Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Let me handle this

You're an idiot if you don't make the same decesion I made.

My freedom of choice is my right. Any arguement to the contrary is bogus. Your choice, however, is dumb and stupid so we need laws so I don't have to pay for your mistakes.

Did I miss anything?

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Re: Let me handle this

Not quite arrogant or insulting enough, but all in all it's about 95%.

Enough for me, I'm sick of these "I believe in freedom for everyone, BUT...." threads.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I always wear a helmet. However, I will gladly pay higher insurance premiums if it means you can exercise a freedom of choice. I will think you are unwise, stupid even, if you go lidless. Enjoy your freedom and be careful. Way to go PA!

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Kudos to the PA chapter of ABATE for giving riders the choice to wear, and bigger kudos for not following other chapters of ABATE in spreading misinformation about helmet safety. This is the way it should be done. Good job!

·
Banned
2,752 Posts
Let me try.

First before replying to my post you must give your MSF scores. Right GeezerGlide (Buz) ??

[*]All this shows is that Pa has high proportion of influential ABATE baby boomer gray pony tailed idiots

[*] The law is unenforceable i.e. police will not bother to stop someone without a helmet because they are so many ifs. If you are over 21 and have ridden for two years and completed a MSF class. Right everyone is going to wear a tee shirt that says over 21 over 2 years of experience with a MSF logo. The net effect is to legalize helmetless riding for everyone because it will be impossible to determine law breakers without stopping folks. Cops are not going to bother with doing that. STUPID LAW

[*] Once again ABATE has managed to make motorcyclist look like idiots by having the wrong priority on this issue. This is not the issue folks should be spending time and polical captial on. Things like increased penalities for motorist who kill motorcyclists and protecting motorcylists ability to obtain health insurance should be things the AMA and ABATE should have as top prority

·
Registered
30 Posts
Re: Let me try.

Why should a motorist who kills a motorcyclist be punished any more than a motorist that kills a non-motorcyclist? Killing is killing, correct?

And, can anyone out there attest to being denied health insurance because they ride a motorcycle?

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Re:You miss the point

There's no law that says you CAN'T wear a helmet, Kpaul. It simply says if you meet certain criteria you don't have too. While I doubt the police will pull over everyone they see to see if they meet the helmet-less requirement I'd imagine if you got popped for another reason they'd check. And if they needed an excuse to pull you over they could say you looked under age. I also think resources would be better spent on issue's other than helmet laws, but I don't live in PA. and I wear a helmet because I want too, not because I have too. If PA riders want to ride helmet-less that's up to them.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Not More, Just the Same

My friend Julian Long was INTENTIONALLY run down and killed by a guy in a pick-up truck Christmas Day, 1999. The guy who did it was convicted of involuntary manslaughter and spent less than a month in jail.

If he had intentionally run down and killed a pregnant woman in a crosswalk, you can bet he'd be up for the lethal injection!

We just want equal prosecution and enforcement, that's all.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you think this gives PA citizens more freedom, think again. Then end result will be police with more power to pull over bikers for no reason (that is, with a lame reason). I for one would not want to be harassed by the man just so they can check that I've met the minimum requirements to go lidless. (not that I would ever go helmetless.)

·
Banned
2,752 Posts
Re:You miss the point

No I get get that. But my point is that the law because of its language either will not be enforced or like someone else said will be abused as excuse to pull people over.

·
Banned
2,752 Posts
Excellent Point

You make a great point. I perhaps naively think that cops will not enforce the law because of its language but you are probably right it is a good excuse to pull people over.

·
Banned
2,752 Posts
Re: Excellent Point

Thats right. Since I never ride without a full-face helmet I have no worries But I think the point he makes is a good one this law is written poorly and gives the cops reasons to stop idiots (helmetless riders) with shakey reasons.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.