Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Couldn't agree more.

Speed sucks except for the cropped MotoGP coverage.

1 hour of MotoGP, no 125, no 250, no pit talk, no post race follow up. Just a quick hour of real racing and back to Nascar.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had looked forward to watcing "superbikes" since last week, but the cable decides to go out right before the show! The cable came back on for the import car tuner show that came on after sb. Personally I like hooliganism and stunting, if you don't want to watch it, change the channel.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was pleasantly surprised. I certainly would not fit in with the crowds as shown on the show but it was entertaining getting to know them, worts and all. The hosting was a little stale but that guy can ride!!!

G

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Pete, I felt pretty much the same way you did--the show wasn't quite what I feared it would be (at least the first installment.) It was actually fairly well produced and surprisingly low on bombast.

The host was likeable enough; the subjects were pleasantly civilized for the most part and the segments had more depth than I expected (of course, I expected a slightly more upmarket grade of outlaw stuntaz video). They did go to slightly tiresome pains to demonstrate how this was no custom chopper show (yeah, we know, it's all about performance...although I don't really see the need for a 190 RWHP streetfighter with a devil head flyscreen...or do I?).

And when was the last time you heard Joey Dunlop mentioned on TV?

But, unfortunately, the killer is the street stunting and (fairly mild) mayhem (as well as a couple of brief allusions to drinking). It's just sending all the wrong messages. And frankly, what was on the show was quite tame in comparison to the roving packs of dumb, unskilled squid I see on the weekends. At least just about everyone was weariing gear.

And no T&A????

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
Well, if nothing else, it was nice to see an aspect of motorcycling in the MSM that didn't involve Harley, assless chaps, skanky women, identically-dressed "individualists" and ill-handling & ill-conceived eyeball-"engineered" customs.

Not that it's a great aspect. But at least it's different.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
I watched it, and thought it encompassed everything that 'Average Joe Public' hates about motorcyclists, so it was OK with me. I'd check it out again. It shows what's going on out there in the real world. People stunt, they speed, they drink, and they get crazy. Hell, sometimes they even ride without helmets! Scary!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I found the emphasis on customizing for performance before looks rather refreshing. Especially after being stuck with shows that only look at how to make Harley clones and choppers shinier and handle worse.

Can't say I agreed with all of it, but it was much better than I was expecting.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think that the show is displaying all the wrong things about motorcycling. Stunting is cool - but do it in the correct venue. Just like racing is awesome - on the track... Too many idiots with these bikes tearing up the public streets, not having enough sense to join a local track club and truly learn how to ride and increase their skills. The kind of riders that would rather spend $150 on a chrome brake lever (because that makes a bike faster...) than for a track day to actually learn how to ride, and do it safely. This hooliganism just makes the public look towards motorcycle rides as a bad crowd, and a traffic accident or street terrorist waiting to happen. I love to ride - whether touring the country, or my weekend track habit. But this crap again is just re-emphasizing all the wrong things.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It was total rubbish! Why didn't they call it stunnas and streetfighters, it wasn't about super bikes at all.

How SPEED can think it is a good idea to film guys pulling wheelies and burnouts on city streets is a good idea, I cna't imagine

·
Registered
530 Posts
Definitely a squidly show that won't do much to "improve" the image of motorcycling, but then again, most cruiser/custom culture shows don't either. Stunting on public streets isn't going to go over well, but if you're into streetfighter/hooligan culture, that's the point, so kudos to them for being true (though that was very tame on street stuff). While it was better produced and more meaty than I expected, I'm sad to see SPEED fixate less on legit racing, the bikes and good motorcycling, and instead completely try to cash in on moto/biker cultures. Odd how good motorcycling skills/habit and good motorcycles aren't what shows focus on. At least there wasn't any chaps and chrome.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I like it. I thought it was done well, even though it was rough around the edges and yes the host was a little on the green side in the hosting department. I think it has potential to make it.

These guys were riding pretty rowdy on the street which could be seen as negative by Joe public BUT this type of riding happens. There is no reason to sugar coat something or make it seem like something it isn't. There are people who ride like this on the street. I don’t condone this type of riding on the street but I don’t deny that it happens.

Just remember that kissing your wife WILL not make her pregnant. There are other taboo’s involved.

·
Registered
530 Posts
True enough. I used to ride with a "wild" crowd in my moto-messenger days in SF, and the stunting has just gotten wilder, so at least the show's not sugarcoating it. Quick folks... hide your children... hooligan bikers are coming to a living room near you... like it or not.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I think you stated it perfectly. I've been a hard-core sportbike rider for 43 years, including several of roadracing. My wife and I sat through part of this show in complete disgust. Portraying sportbikers in this venue can do nothing but do damage to a sport that desperately needs to build a positive image. Thank God the average TV watching public either doesn't get SPEEDVISION or doesn't watch it. This show is an incredible disservice to the motorcycle industry. Maybe if I was young, stupid, and good at wheelies (I really suck at them), I'd be impressed, but I am really disappointed at SPEED's bad taste with it's decision to attract and promote this aspect of our sport. I thought "Greg's Garage" was a pretty useless show, but at least it promoted the sport in a positive manner. At this point, I'd welcome it back.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Well OK, it wasn't quite as god-awful as I assumed it would be, judging from the promos. A mildly interesting 23 minutes. A few believable real-world riders interviewed. No bikes wrecked just for laughs, although that may be coming when the producers get thin on ideas.

I don't know why I worry about what the non-riding public thinks about motorbike riders anyway. I doubt that this bit of TV fluff will have any influence one way or the other.

Maybe they could have a segment where they follow me on my daily commute to work on the XB12. Now THERE'S real-world biking for ya. They'd have to broadcast it at 11:30PM, so the powerful narcotic effect of watching me ride would be put to good use. Heh.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I watched the show last night to see this week's code word for the "dude for a day" contest. I agree about the negative aspects of the show. I didn't care for the show at all. And then they didn't even show the "dude for a day" code word. So I watched the show for nothing. My wife had a friend over and they were in the room where I was watching TV. My wife's friend kept making comments like "that's why everyone hates bikers", "that's why everyone's afraid of bikers", "that's why those things ought to be illegal." After the show, my wife told me she didn't want me riding any more if that was what riding a motorcycle was all about. So, maybe Greg White's program was a little to campy for some, maybe even going a little overboard to show the positive aspects of motorcycles and motorcyclists, but it did nothing to discredit the sport of motorcycling. Up yours, Speedchannel.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.