Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Honda, you had your chance to make and sell a bike like that in this country with no competitition. Yep, that was then and this is now. Good luck competing against the likes of Bandits and ZRXs and FZ1s. Oh, one more thing in case you have not noticed, Yamaha is kicking your but in the cruiser wars!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I beleive Standards will sell if there the right kind. Americans like lots of horse power and torque. Bringing a detuned version of the already detuned cbr1000 to the US was a mistake. I was one of the folks asking for a conventional bike. CB1000 was not what I was asking for. One of the reasons Japanese bikes sold in the first place was reliability and performance. We bought bigger cc bikes because of the power. If Honda could bring a bike to the US that was on par with the Bandit or FZ1 then I'd go with Honda. So the question is do I go buy a new Bandit or wait for the new FZ1.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Re: Pictures of Honda''s CB1300SF

It's got that bigass radiator shroud b/c the radiator would stick out 4 inches on each side. I think this bike would be easy enough to tune.

Another thing on the x-11; its got a fully NON adjustable suspension (well, rear preload i think). From the looks of the cb1300, it may be a bit sportier than the x-11, which Bike magazine says is an absolute handful around town and has a steering lock that would scare a ducati.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Oh, yay, another grossly over-motored superstandard. Just a second while I finish jumping up and down in glee. [Please hold for the next available moment without bitter sneering.]

Honda doesn't need this bike in its US lineup at all, really. What it NEEDS is the CB500, or maybe the resurrection of the CB-1, or the Hawk GT, or both. What it also needs is a serious contemporary redesign of the CB750.

What Honda needs to do, really, is remember why everyone liked them in the first place (they once allegedly built smallish, sophisticated yet inexpensive, thoroughly loveable bikes that everyone could own without stupid stereotypical baggage), get out of boring irrelevant niche games and corporate ego contests, and be the best mainstream bike company on the planet again. Is this too much to ask?

·
Registered
160 Posts

Ok, I will explain this to you one more time. There is nothing inherently good or bad in sportbike and cruiser styling. The reason they sell well is not because the styling is good, rather it is because there are plenty of people with a wallet full of money willing to traid it for these bikes. There may indeed be styling life after sportbikes and cruisers but it will never see the light of day unless the Please Build a Modern CB900 Club gets a lot larger. Now you are not suggesting Honda reproduce that stupid dual range tranny also are you?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yeah, who else has a starter bike other than Buell? (Wooo, big paradigm shift!) Anybody want to jump in here & spec this out? Call me biased, but the old V50 Guzzi was neat for that class.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Or Really? Take a ZRX and add a pipe and jet kit and drop in ZX11 cams and you in the same h.p. range you mentioned, plus you have that great fully adjustable suspension. For you Blandit owners that don't know what a fully adjustable suspension is, that means you can adjust not just the preload but also the compression and rebound damping front and back. Whoopee, horsepower and handling.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Honda is on the right track giving some options to either cruiser harley wanna be's (if I want a harley I'll buy a harley) or crotch rockets like the 'rest your beer belly on the tank' scoots, but I think they really are missing the boat on "dual sport" or euro-styled "suv" style do it all scooters that are selling like hotcakes overseas.

Personally, I think the varadero 1000 cc vtwin enduro styled sport tourer would suit my purposes best of all, but why won't honda bring them over the pond? Answer, SCARED execs who think all americans are cowboys who want to look like a dirty biker on the weekend.

How many units of the big GS 1150, or GS 650 (BMW) or Tiger (triumph) have sold? Enough to make honda sweat? Hardly.. they have the shadow.. ace..sabre..magna..valkyrie.. cruise on down to your honda dealer, the most noticeable difference in any of those bikes is displacement only.

Look at the BMW line guys..

not overdone.. one or two choices in each category.. done to near perfection.. and selling for a mint.(I'm not a fan of the price for a "bavarian money waster" as an MO staffer put it, but the concept is much better.)

ALL THIS BS, AND I DRIVE A GOLDWING.. HA!

Protect your heads, cats!

·
Registered
42 Posts

Sorry IceWorm but I agree with the orginal poster.

Currently ride a 80 GS1100E (double up) and that damn "stick in the air" tailend really sucks for the passenger!

Smaller seat, less legroom, ect. I really like the styling of the new 1200S Bandit but the passenger set up is usless. I like a "standard" do all bike and the big motor but it look like I will look elsewhere when new bike time comes in a couple of years. JMHO

·
Registered
30 Posts

I'm with you- and 6'8" , 315- riding a Bandit because the old road test in Cycle World said it was too much of a stretch for most folks. I see the new Bandit has the seat lowered a bit, so here they go again and take away a perfectly fine big guy bike. Now if they'd put on 19" wheels and raise the seat to 36" or so and lower the pegs a bit...oh well that's life on the edge of the bell curve.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Honda, listen up! The guy you're selling to is the same guy that got into the sport in the 60's! We're gettin old but we're experienced riders who appreciate what they used to call "gentleman's express" motorcycles. We don't need your 1300cc in line four. What we DO need is your VTR 1000 motor in a sit up, flat seated, pegs underneath me, wide handlebarred, quality suspended and braked, capable of comfortable two up, sticky tired STANDARD with optional centerstand, windshield, backrest and hard bags. There's a lot of us who don't want a Wing but want the option of taking the spouse for a long ride when we're not carving our own corners. I've been waiting forever for the bike that doesn't force me to chose between my better half's comfort and performance that's acceptable to me. The whole baby boomer generation is stuck in this quandry! C'mon Honda, give us the answer!

·
Registered
155 Posts

I'm not sure whether to be annoyed by the preconceptions on display here, or just amused.

For the record, I'm a typical Midwestern-raised corn-fed ******, a shadow over six foot and well north of two hundred pounds, currently residing in the gloriously hilly valleys of New York's Finger Lakes (hence the handle). Furthermore, and more importantly, I'm a rank newbie, just holding my motorcycle learner's permit (at age 27; if anyone else is out there, don't wait any longer and blow any number of perfect riding days like I did) and honestly frustrated at the genuine disregard many/most manufacturers give to the entry-class rider. Furthermore, in the same way that I like agile high-revving imported cars more than big heavy lazy domestic bombers, I would flat-out LOVE the chance to own a 400cc superscreamer without EPA/DOT entanglements. No, I wouldn't be able to just kick back and watch the miles roll by lazily on one (there's a reason a Road King has also been on my long-time wish list, y'know), but that's not the point. I'd rather not learn on something overpowered or over-torquey or just too big; 'tis better to learn to RIDE, not just exhibit some panic-driven sense of power management. And playing the game of shaving corners here seems to favor a razor over an axe.

My gripe with Honda is that every model like the CB1300 represents not only another batch of federal certification dollars lost, but that it represents yet another shift away from, first, me and other newbie riders who need to learn how to ride well in order to be around long enough to purchase our third or fourth bike; and, second, those of us who want something smaller in general.

Yeah, the used-bike market caters to that need to a degree (winter weather notwithstanding I'm about two seconds away from snapping up either a slightly battered and quite cheap Hawk GT or a very pretty Bandit 400 at a dealer around Ithaca) but that's not a total solution. I want a Hornet 600, a Fazer 600 dressed up in the streetfighter hardware that we were teased with a few years ago, something between training wheels and a YZF-R6; a rational alternative to the SV650 (which I still want desperately), REAL bikes that are just smaller and more danceable than a liter-plus-displacement ox.

Yeah, go ahead and flame me all you want for being too new to the game to know what I'm talking about. I think I do, and I'm not alone.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.