Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love the smell of burnt rubber in the morning, reminds me of >sniff< a recent doughnut flog!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Tires and Wheels of a Harley

Even faraway, a Harley can easily be told from an Asian atrocity cycle.

Some Harleys carry a stout predatory facade. With thick steel fenders so immense and imposing they get their own hefty bumpers, running lights and chrome framework. Covering tires so massive and broad only solid disc wheels can carry them. Or wide whitewalls on traditional laced wheels with chrome hubcaps the size of an atrociteur’s skull. Running on heavy-duty bearings as big as a man’s fist and guided by hydraulic forks as chunky as bridge girders. Directly bolted to oversize bars laden with chrome and leather. Lights off a freight train to show the way. All in all, a front end more gigantic than the landing gear of an airliner. Making for a colossal road-holding heft that’s extreme prejudice to any adversity or atrocity in its path. Plowing ahead with the intimidating momentum of an avalanche and the complete assurance that it’ll never have to yield the right of way to anyone. Altogether the same righteous attitude of the man commanding the machine.

Other Harleys carry a stealthy and deadly message in their approach. Led by a sleek short fender that slashes the air and anything else on the road like a rapier. Over a 21 inch lacer that’s as light and precise as a scalpel, and rapaciously raked so far out the wheel oft times emerges from the fog before the rest of the machine. Topped by drag bars atop gun sight risers that target any adversary in a fatal focus. A single piercing headlight casts a terminal fix on the marked vermin. Highway pegs betray the imminent task of the boots on them. It’s a menacing sight that leaves no room for error as to the punishing severity of the rider’s intentions. The last sight seen by many a road kill.

These are the tires and wheels of machines ridden by real motorcyclists. Stout and hearty men who are driven by guttural instinct, indomitable will and immutable force to render their own truth and justice in staggering style. Men who suffer no fools, need no excuses and offer no apologies. Men of robust character, brawny temper and fierce fury. Harley-Davidson men.

It’s no surprise that on sight of a Harley on the horizon, Asian atrocity cycles scatter like minnows when a stone is tossed in their pond.

They call me . . . The Highwayman

·
Registered
216 Posts
I know, I'm just playing into his hands by responding to this, but I'm really curious if the Italian and British bikes in THIS story are as afraid of those big, mean, brutish harleys as the Asian ones are? Do/can you read the articles? Do you need a big stong motorcycle to protect you because you can't protect yourself?

·
Banned
2,752 Posts
The Hog and the Sword and they call me the....

"It's no surprise that on sight of a Harley on the horizon, Asian atrocity cycles scatter like minnows when a stone is tossed in their pond" Should read

" It's no surprise that the sight of a cycle from the land of the rising sun is like the sight of sharpened sword to the Hog. This Hog from Harley fears the sword because it is sleek, modern and uncomprimising. The Hog wallows and squels as it trys to move from the path of the sword. But sudden changes in direction are deadly for the Hog and the sword finds it prey easily.

They call me ..... The Alley Boy

·
Registered
82 Posts
Um. Write about motorcycles, preferably motorcycles we can actually buy. When's the last time I read something interesting about a real, live, available motorcycle? Don't particularly care about hop-ups or tires. Don't really care a whole lot about racing, except for the proposition that anything that piques interest benefits the species. Read car rags for years, never fixated on articles about oil changes. Or oil filters. Read about cars, and enjoyed it. Would like to read about motorcycles.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Well, just to tell MO that I think you're doing right. I like to learn about "oil cahnges" because I didn't get to learn about this stuff when I was a kid. I NEED to know how to do this stuff. I NEED this education.

Shade tree mechanics get fewer and fewer every year, because no one wants to teach it. Hell, I want a fuel injected bike because I'm not afraid to screw with FI...but I'm terrified of messing with a carb. Go figure.

--The Fox

·
Registered
334 Posts
Check out the "Bikes" tab, Bruddah . . .

. . . This ain't no stinkin' 5 articles a month print rag, we've got an archive online 24/7/365 with 9 years worth of reviews of like 1,000,000,000,000,000 bikes. I'm just guessing here but there are probably at least a few you haven't read about yet. Anyway, when the OEMs come out with 365 new bikes a year (Santa . . . are you listening?), we'll cover all bikes all the time, but in the meantime, we try to keep the natives from getting too restless with whatever else seems interesting that day.

Eric Bass

·
Registered
289 Posts
Re: Tires and Wheels of a Harley

As the atrocitors ride swiftly by, I search yet again for that damn oil leak that has me stranded in the rain again!

I'm just kidding I know and work with a lot of Harley riders. High school principals, business owners, oh and and a couple of the female secretaries here at the high school I teach at!

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Spinning Mental Wheels a bit out of round is more like it

Some Harleys carry a stout predatory facade.

How true, how true.

Plowing ahead with the intimidating momentum of an avalanche......

And all the mental acuity too, I'll bet.

..... and the complete assurance that it’ll never have to yield the right of way to anyone.

Those who drive eighteen-wheelers might have a slightly different opinion. Perhaps soon "The Highwayman" will be known rather as "That Spot on the Grill of Ernie's Peterbilt".

Other Harleys carry a stealthy and deadly message in their approach.

More deadly than stealthy, that would be the stench of your urine encrusted originals.

Stout and hearty men.....

They wouldn't be so stout if they laid off the Big Macs, brownies and Budweiser for a while.

Sorry THM but your essay today gets a C-. You 've overused the words "atrocity" in different forms and twice used the word "stout" as well. While you do maintain your uniquely high standards of delusion your prose today leaves much to be desired.

Repeat after me "Honda Shadows are more 'Made in America' than any Harley". Do this until it penetrates your dessicated gray matter.

Oh by the way, are all those vets who ride foreign bikes insufficiently "American" for you? My uncle who fought at Tarawa later rode one of those "atrocities". He doesn't meet your supposed "standards"?

Post your DD214 for us, you fraud.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.