Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
You gotta ask yourself who exactly is this good for.

Pirelli is Italian, right? Flammini is Italian, right?

The major manufacturers are pulling out because of this, right?

I'd say the only people to benefit from this will be Pirelli. How much ar Pirelli paying for this deal?

So whats in it for Flammini? I know what I think, but to say it might be considered libellous. Perhaps somebody ought to check if Flammini has suddenly got a new holiday villa

·
Registered
146 Posts
Fantastic for spectators - close racing guaranteed I reckon.

One less reason for one team/rider to get an advantage thats nothing to do with talent of the rider or team.

Lets hope there's not an 'A' spec and 'B' spec tire and that all teams given a spot on the grid get access to the same tyres, factory team or privateer.

Cant see how it can be a bad thing..

·
Registered
48 Posts
With all of the top-shelf talent moved to MotoGP, WSBK has been a real snoozer this year. Private and non-factory Ducati teams running against a factory Ducati team. There is no depth in the field.

With the death of Tobacco sponsorship, and now the elmination of tire sponsors. Who do they think is going to pay for this series? Why would you sponsor a team in WSBK?

Further, are we going to have to hear riders thank Pirelli in each press conference? haha

·
Registered
771 Posts
This is bogus. Racing is about competition. Let the race teams decide what tire they need to use.

If you think that this will even out the competiion, due to everyone getting equall tires yuors deluded. Pirelli is still going to do what all the tire manufacturers do, give there best tires to the best teams. Everyone else will still get the B tires.

If the goal is to eliminate the two (or three) tiered system from the tire manufacturers, have all the tires supplied for a weekend placed in the control of WSB in a trailer, and as teams need tires they can get random tires picked from the pile supplied.

But then the same could be done with the bikes also.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
First restrictor plates, now everyone on the same tires.

All they have left is to straighten out those pesky curves and we'll see some real racing, just like nascar.

Odd how an Italian based racing series with an Italian publicity house and domination by an Italian brand bike would award an exclusive contract to an Italian based tire company.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Good idea, guys. They just eliminated virtually all wild card entries in Britain, Japan, and the U.S. There is no way Dunlop or Michelin are going to let their sponsored AMA/BSB/Japanese series riders compete in WSB using a competitor's tires. This will seriously hurt the series in each of those countries, since (especially at Laguna) that is one of the main reasons to go there- to watch our boys go up against the World Superbike riders. Now that can't happen.

Stick a fork in WSB, it's done. Bring on MotoGP!

·
Banned
2,752 Posts
Instead of IROC call it IROD

D as in Ducatis. I can't see how this is good from a financial point of view. If you want no diversity and close races which fans will like. Unfortunately fan attendance doesn't really pay for things. Advertising and Sponsors do. Seems like WSB just eliminated at least 2 big sponsors. What about racers with contracts with Dunlop and Michelin?

·
Banned
2,752 Posts
Last weekend kindof showed the future. AMA to benefit

First WSB race, a Bristish Superbike rider beats them all. He wasn't really challenged at all by the WSB regulars. Second race 2 BSB guys beat the regulars. Stick a fork in WSB.

Actually this can make AMA better. Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, and Suzuki will concentrate on AMA, MotoGP and other national championships (Japan, British etc). More resources better competition. Bring on AMA Superbike for 2004.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Re: Last weekend kindof showed the future. AMA to benefit

That BSB rider beat a guy that challenged bayliss at times last year, and bayliss has got on the podium in motogp....they cant be too bad.

Gone, I think, are the days when SBK riders struggled in the premier GP class due to the nature of the 2-strokes that are now gone.

·
Registered
356 Posts
thank god motard racing is on the rise and starting to get TV coverage......

at least there will be something interesting to watch besides motogp.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.