Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used Pledge furniture polish instead of Plexus spray cleaner? I know the Plexus goes a long way, but Pledge is less then 1/2 the price. A woman in my local chapter uses it on her winshield, chrome & paint (but her bike is far from pristene).

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Pledge is good for vinyl. I don't think it's so hot for chrome or plexiglas.

Please God whatever you do don't use Armorall.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
You obviously haven't priced Plexus lately! Pledge is about one fourth the price of Plexus........

(I use the Pledge on paint an' stuff like that - an' the Plexus on windscreens, visors, glasses, and headlights)

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
Is there anything wrong with 409?

Or Windex, for that matter?
I think they're talking about protection more than cleaning. I wouldn't use ammonia on Lexan or other clear plastics...it might fog after a while.

I use the same carnuba wax on the screen as the rest of the bike. Makes it shed bugs and dirt; gives UV protection. I do not look through my screen, so I can't say it's a good solution for someone who does.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Plexiglas has many superior qualities but resistance to petrochemicals and ammonias aren't included. I'd stick with dedicated plexiglas cleaners and polishes and not screw around with stupid experiments.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
But it generates a mental image of a 220#, 6' guy wearing a yellow chiffon dress, swirling around a motorcycle singing:

Lemon Pledge cleans so easy,
Lemon way to make bikes glow.
Lemon Pledge as you're dusting,
Adds new luster as you go!
Hey! Enough with the mental pictures in here! I'm gettin' a Woody and I'm at work!

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
Man, that scared me and it's me he was talking about. Whew!
I thought he was talkin' about me!

The thought of that dainty yellow-chiffon against my naked, supple skin.........

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well..... thanks for the input and the visuals of hairy scooter trash guys dancing with feather dusters. I do like the idea of the wipes, cause the spray always oversprays onto other places I dont feel like buffing at the moment. Now I'm gonna have to get a french maid to do it for me.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Well, it ain't cheap, but a bottle seems to last forever. Plast-X from Meguiar's.

I got it originally to de-yellow headlamps on the wife's Expedition. It worked great there. It is the stuff on the bike windshield, too.

Does a bang-up job on the ol' ARAI faceshield.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.