Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Re: Podcast : put this in your ear on those long rides!

One of these days I'm gonna sit down at my computer, and take the rest of my life to finally figure out how to get everything done, by yesterday. Personally, after seeing the original, and three remakes of "The Invasion of The Body Snatchers," I'm pretty sure I don't want an Ipod, or any other kind of pod, anywhere near me. Then, as far as Pod Casts go, my favorite was the one with Donald Sutherland. Great scene with the bagpipes playing while the ship was being loaded, don't ya think?

And, by the way, who came up with the idea of using a sheeps stomach as a musical instrument, in the first place?

"Seamus! What air ya doon whe that sheep; and ways she making ail that dreadful noise?"

"Aim joost trayin ta coom up wit ah new moosical instrooment Da. Soo's I cain stoop baitin ma haid agin a rock." (a likely story)

Most Talk Radio is about as informative as reading a Peanuts comic strip, and usually almost as funny. But, nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people; or, from trying to lower the bar, for that matter.

Oh, oh! Am I turning into a tight-a$$ed, right-wing extremist? Nah...Just checked my wardrobe and there's not a leather body suit, or a copy of "Third World Bondage," in sight.

Actually, I'm just kidding. I like to spend a couple hours a day listening to NPR, and I really miss having having free music downloads, since the governement crackdown. But, considering the way I tend to ride, I don't think it would be sucha good idea to have anything, other than fear, running through my brain, while I'm going down the road. I mean, It's way too easy to become a news story, as a result of riding a bike, without being distracted by listening to one. Still, having access to all that music, and information, is nice. But, there's still no way I'm leaving anything, with Pod in it's name, next to the bed where I'm sleeping.

·
Registered
235 Posts

do you miss having gainful employment?

As for the "crackdown", canadian courts have made judgements in favor of file sharing. Move on up here we'd love to have you. Our riding season sorta sucks though. I put my ride away 2 weeks ago, she won't see road til prolly May

·
Registered
955 Posts

Oddly enough, after the results of yesterday's election, I told a friend I was thinking about doing that very thing.

My grandparents lived in Toronto for several years when I was a kid, and I really liked visiting them.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Canada

The election made me reconsider the appropriate location for someone with intelligence as well. But you may want to consider New Zealand. It's got a better climate than most of Canada and a longer riding season, even though riding upside down gets tiring.

Thanks for mentioning invasion of the body snatchers. Obviously, that is one explanation for George.

As for bagpipes, they came about due to Scotsmen having too much fun with the sheep. They did it so often that they came to be excited by hearing the sounds the sheep made. Hence the bagpipe.

Francis

·
Registered
289 Posts

Like I told a body that rides a goldwing, ''If I wanted music, a heater, and a backrest, I would have ridden my other bike, the f-150.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Re: Canada

I like bagpipes. Alot of the '80's "new wave" bands incorporated pipes into their music and it sounded great.

As martial music they can't be beat, a good piper and some rolling drums makes your blood boil. Just the ticket for chasing each other around with 6 foot Claymores or tossing telephone poles at each other.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts

The cool thing about a Wing is you can take off the backrest, leave the heater off if you don't need it, and not turn on the radio if you don't want to listen to it. I can assure you that all those things are nice to have on an 800 or 1000 mile day in nasty weather. When I was going to college a few years back, I rode the Wing to class instead of my Ninja. The 20 somethings couldn't understand why I rode an "old man's bike". I told em it's because I'm an old man! LOL

·
Registered
289 Posts

I enjoy all of those things and more in my truck with my motorcycle secured in the bed. Then when I get to deals gap this spring I can ride without the extra bulk of all of those turned off distractions. To each his own I guess.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts

I used to record NPR in the morning while getting ready to go to work then put the tape into a tape machine with earphones and listen to it during the hour or so ride to work. The problem is that I couldn't listen to it and ride safe at the same time. It was distracting. There is something about the sound going directly into your ear and blocking out all other sound. When people first started using cell phones in their cars I remember how difficult it was trying to listen to that tape through earphones.

·
Registered
289 Posts

Droning along on the highway sucks, taking backroads wastes too much time, Can't carry much on a sportbike. Why not ride in a vehicle and talk with friends as we head down?

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts

With a Wing you can ride down, talk to em at the same time with a communicator, ride the gap (I did numerous times) and then ride home. Sounds like more fun than trailering. Since I never trailered anything, I wouldn't know though.

·
Registered
289 Posts

One of the guys I might be going down with has a Goldwing. He has been riding since he was a little kid and has had bikes that would leave mine for dead, but he can't come close to staying with me when I am only push at 50%. You should try trailering, you stay much dryer, carry a lot more stuff, and save money. As in after rebates my new f-150 cost less than a decked out goldwing. I've tried the I a real motorcyclist road trip thing when I went from 50 miles south of houston to dallas. I was cold, wet, and made lousy time from stopping to get feeling back in my hands and knees. And that's only a few hundred miles. I had a much better time with my bike riding around Joe Pool Lake and up in the hills there when I loaded in the back of my truck, road for fun, loaded it back up and came home. Same thing when I went camping in big bend, could have carried nearly enough gear for that trip on my bike.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts

Whatever flips your switch, I rode 850 miles from the Cali border to Washington in the pouring-ass rain on an FLHP

I thought it was fun.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts

Sorry, I like the real motorcyclist thing. Can't think of a worse way to see the country than inside a car. How fast I went never had any bearing on how much fun I had, except the scenery just went by faster. I guess I just love to ride, not just ride to.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.