Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
You have to wonder if the the Vic components like engines, frames, etc. are going to begin appearing in the Indians. Or, will the bikes continue to be built as they are today; virtually custom, with a super-high price.

Seems to me there's very little value left in the Indian name itself, although I did meet a guy in Daytona who was raving about the big-fender styling. It's hard to see how Polaris can make any serious money with this venture, but maybe the aquisition will give the dealers a bike that will generate new traffic.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
And Ken, there hasn't been anything 'custom' about Indian bikes for years. Other than the parts with the Indian(TM) Logo on them, you can buy the whole bike out of a Custom Chrome(R) catalog.
Kirk, that was true with the very first iteration of Indians. They had S&S engines that were HD Evo clones, and all the aftermarket stuff like Baker trans, PM brakes, etc. However, the second generation had their own engine, called the "Bottle Cap" engine, and a lot of other proprietary parts. The third gen, which is what Polaris bought, is using the Bottle Cap engines, their own body parts, and (I think) frame.

So, will Polaris put in their engine etc? It will be interesting to find out.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
The Bottle Cap engine is hardly original though. It's based on the Evo from days gone by. So it's kinda not a clone but really kinda is.
A clone? A CLONE? Are you nuts? It has ROUND CYLINDERS for crissakes.

A clone, he says...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts